EXOTO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

EXOTO

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lucky_13_2002, Dec 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Next time I run across some at the Trader's Village I'll stock up for ya!

If I was wrong on the designation, sorry, it's the ones from the drivers I mentioned.........Lauda also.

2. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    +1

I've dealt with Exoto for many years, and have my share of plus and minus experiences, although nothing along the line of 5 year waits. The minuses usually involved unknowledgeable or unqualified employees. IMHO Tony K himself has always been a man of integrity, sincerely passionate about his products and what they represent as well as caring about customer satisfaction. During my worst experience, he never ducked a call and spent a great deal of time and sensitivity explaining situations beyond his control. I always appreciated his honesty, and eventually I was a satisfied customer.

3. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    OK guys, we've rendered many opinions, myself included, about Exoto, it's products, it's faults and it's positives. One of the beauties of this hobby, like many others, is the choices we have that will be based on our personal evaluations and, when all is said and done, you will buy what pleases you the most. Enough said? I think the time has come, for those of you who have a fondness for Exoto, to have the opportunity to post photos of the Exoto models they hold so dear and let the brand bashing end, what do you think?

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I need to post pics, now that my collection is back up, and I still have some EXOTOs in the box!!!

They are always very nice quality, I have just never been one to sign up presale and wait all that time.......

When I see a girl I want her RIGHT NOW! LOL!

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I probably have some duplicates...if so I'll offer them here.

6. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hell yeah!!! If they are models I don't already have, for $40 a pop I'll buy them right away.

7. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1.
    I had no other intentions, when I started the thread , other than just share our models by this manufacturer. Bashing a company like Exoto, or any company for that matter is something I never understood. It reminds me of people bashing the Herpa 1:43 Ferraris. They were incredible and yet there are always people who go >yeah but they are plastic< well guess what so are basically all the "special" resin handbuilds, which by the way are half the time seriously misshaped and inacurate and still selling for some outrageous money. But to each their own. I had a friend who was madly in love with Harleys and had a couple. Always wrenching on them and I asked him how come he is so happy with them when they were leaking. He said if it doesn't leak oil it's not a Harley. I am sure they don't all leak, but he loved them for what they are. Same with models. People complain about this part is plastic or this is shiny or whatever. Someone on another thread said that he ordered the Exoto 500F2 but returned it and was greatly disappointed in it just because it came in a motorbox package and not Racing Legends, which supposedly would make the resale value of the model lesser.
    I feel sorry for people like that from the bottom of my heart.
    Enjoy your hobby for what it is. They are models after all. You display them, look at them, show and discuss them with your friends. You don't push them across the carpet or get in an accident with them, so you can repair the plastic/metal frame.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wait a minute I thought you said it was LIST PRICE plus appreciation!!!!

That means the one I buy for you at the Flea Market for $40 will be......I dunno.........$315.75.........

ROTFLMAO!

You know I'm a funnin' ya brudda!

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I do take them out of the box to display, and for a long time kept the empty boxes....until one move they were too light and blew out of my truck , and were smashed to bits, scattering across the I45 northbound lanes...........LOL!

Anyway if I have some duplicates still boxed, or unboxed, I'll report back...

MAN, there's tension in the air around here, AND at the Mall!

10. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nice models. The last one is not Exoto though. Am I right?

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Minichamps?

12. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No, it is waaayy before their time. This is classic from either POLISTIL or BBURAGO and it is most likely in 1:14 scale. A rarity in such pristine condition. This is definitely a no-nonsense collection. The MS Ferraris in the background are minichamps though.

13. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #39 aawil, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    Thanks,
    You are right it's a POLISTIL, 1/14th and I have the box, too. It's the only diecast one of the subject car that's close in scale to 1/18th. It in no way compares to the EXOTO cars in terms of detail.
    I think prior to Exoto, these, Minichamps and BBurago were the only game in town ( Aside from custom built models). So, I can appreciate having a choice like Exoto as an alternative to the custom built cars, which I would imagine would be quite expensive.
    I do have a a good bit of Minichamp/PMA Ferrari F-1 starting with the F-93, but that's another thread. LOL
    Will

15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #41 bigodino, Dec 4, 2007
    Slight correction: the Polistil is 1/16th scale. My mother gave me this model when I was about 7 years old (sometime around 1977). Still have it. It hasn't suffered much from my playful years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    OOOPS! My Bad?? LOL

17. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    #43 ferrariartist, Dec 5, 2007
    A friend here at work is an avid model collector. He brought in his new Exoto 1952 F1 500F2.
    I thought it was amazing! Thought y'all would like to see and saw this thread devoted to Exotos... here are some picss.

higher res can be found here
    http://ferrariart.blogspot.com/

GT

18. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have 3 Ferraris 500F2 from exoto (with two more coming later) and one CMC, but this one is not one of them.
    Thanks for the pics. I should have bought it when they were still available. Oh hold on, a couple of people here said they can find them greatly depreciated. I'm willing to pay $150 for it. It is a fair price as this is what Exoto themselves were selling it for at Thanksgiving.

19. alfred tiegler

alfred tiegler Karting

Jul 4, 2007
    Exoto is moving to a larger premises in California and is trying to get rid of as much stock in thier warehouse as possible so they don't have to haul it all with them. If you have ever had to do a major move yourself you will identify. Maybe they can make you a deal if it is still in stock.

20. alfred tiegler

alfred tiegler Karting

Jul 4, 2007
    This would be the 1952 Bern (Swiss Grand Prix) Winner. Pierro Taruffi, also called "the Silver Fox" and one of the original Four Aces was the driver. He won because Alberto Ascari was racing for Ferrari in Indy 500. The Four Aces were Aberto Acari, Luigi Villoresi, Giuseppe Farina and Piero Taruffi. They were Team Ferrari in that wonderful First Ferrari World Championship Year of 1952.

21. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #47 lucky_13_2002, Dec 5, 2007
    Here are my 3 Ferraris 500F2. I chose those 3 because they are different from one another in some way other than color or just numbers.
    The number 15 is the first one Exoto made and it has been long sold out. It is the 1952 British GP winner driven by Alberto Ascari.
    The yellow number 18 is the Ecurie Francochamps 1953 Brlin GP winner driven by Jacques Swaters. It is a limited edition of only 1953 made and out of the 3 it is the only one that is officially a "grand prix classic" and it comes in such a box.
    The red number 18 is Exoto's latest release. Although it is better built and more detailed than the other two, it comes in a "motorbox" box. It is the short nose version from 1952 entered by Ecurie Espadon IV BRDC International Trophy and driven by Rudi Fischer.

22. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #48 lucky_13_2002, Dec 5, 2007
    The difference between the 3 are that obviously one is 1953 and therefore it has a different exhaust, one more lid on the tail and different stacks on the carburators. Oh, and it looks really cool in yellow.
    The main difference between the other two is the noses, as one is obviously shorter. Curious enough when compared side by side they are not as different in length as it seems. It is an optical illusion, sort of.
    All 3 of the car have also different nose grill treatment and tire markings.

23. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #49 lucky_13_2002, Dec 5, 2007
    When I examined the short nose closer I found out that it has different knock-offs holding the wheels. Also a really cool detail is that now it has balancing weights on the wheels which I believe were called snake wires back in the day. They look like little springs wrapped around one of the spokes on each wheel. ( I noticed that it is present on the pictures of the Taruffi's short nose, posted earlier by ferrariartist too). The eggcrate grill made of photoetched plates is a work of art and brings new level of quality to the model.
    On the Ecurie Francochamps model the only thing that I can see that is not by my taste is the "thing" that holds the exhaust pipe to the side of the car. CMC's model has a beautifully made real rubber bracket, which unfortunately is just as unaccurate, no matter how cool it looks. This is being changed on the next models coming from Exoto, which will feature an accurate looking photoetched bracket.

24. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    One of the main reasons I did not buy the Taruffi's car is that I have the gut feeling that they are going to release it with a driver figure. If they do, I am not missing on it. "The four Aces" cars mentioned earlier would most likely be released with driver figures sometime in the future (if we follow past Exoto practice) and I would love to have them. I can't wait for the Blue and Green to come out too. The down side (aside from the money), is that I would need a whole separate case just for 500F2s. ;)