Exotic Storage in SF Bay Area? | FerrariChat

Exotic Storage in SF Bay Area?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by arizonaitalian, May 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I am likely moving back to the bay area and will be renting a condo/apartment in SOMA...I'll keep my commuter car in the one spot that comes with, but will need somewhere to keep the Maser and CS...we have the Stables down here in Scottsdale which keeps the cars and maintains them so you just go and grab your keys and you are off...is there anyplace similar in the bay area that you can recommend?

I'm also looking for any advice on alternatives to keeping my cars in the city...any decent garages that can be rented? Or ?

Thanks in advance!

2. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment

Classic Car Storage (Sausalito, or San Rafael, next to Ferrari of SF Service)
    http://www.sausalitoclassiccarstorage.com
    10 camera monitoring
    24 hour access

3. gtdave

gtdave Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Sandy Springs
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    I kept my Maserati GT-C in a rented garage near my home in Noe Valley. I kept trolling Craigslist until I found one that wasn't shared with any other cars. Got it for $250/mo.

I was also looking using StoreInside in Milpitas - http://www.storeinside.com . These guys were great. They stored lots of exotics and would cover and tender them etc. No other owners are allowed to drive into their facility - they park them. This is a good thing. The only problem with them was Milpitas - 80% of my drives were up north.

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks gents...much appreciated. I'll check them all out when I get up there in July (current plan anyways).

5. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    Top Line in Burlingame is available also. It's close by the airport so if you ever need to get the car upon arrival, it'd be easy.

6. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
  7. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Do not know their current rate, but discount is available if you go on the lift rather than the floor.

8. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You might check to see if anyone has a spot available in your building. I live in a condo in SOMA, which has one parking spot. I keep my F355 in that spot and then rented an additional spot for $150, for the Boxster. It's handy having both close at hand. I just keep the F355 covered. Been here about 7 months now and no trouble so far.

9. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    IMHO, If you want to keep your car close, you can find a safe garage for rent in the area with a little time and effort on Craigslist. The good roads take about 45 minutes to get to if you are going North from SOMA, 1/2 hour if you head South. The storage facility in Sausalito is a good location, But it's North over the bridge from where you are, so you'll spend an hour just getting your car and bringing it back to your house.

Driving North-South across San Francisco in anything other than an Automatic is a bit of a burden- just something to keep in mind.

10. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'd think that on-the-lift would be the place to be. On the floor, someone else has to move your car every time they want to get their car down. Could get a lot of bolster wear and a lot of condensation and carbon build up in the motor from being started for only for a few minutes. I assume they have some sort of system to make this all work though.

I didn't realize this place existed. Good to know.

Before I moved into my current place (my wife's condo), I still had my apartment across town, where my car lived. Even just the trip across town to pull it out and put it away when I was done, ended up being a barrier to getting out and enjoying the car. Anything further than about 10 minutes away, seems like too much (depending on how much spare time you have).

11. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    The Sausalito place mentioned has some specific procedures. Cars on the lift pay $50 less. Their personnel are the only ones to move your car. If you are on the lift and want your car, you notify them and they will move the car beneath you and lower yours. You can either drive it off the ramp or they will do it for you. When you return your car, you park in a staging area and they will put it back straightaway. They can tell when you return by monitoring the cameras. If you move your car more than twice a month, they will charge the higher rate and encourage you to move to the floor, space available.

Another facility that recently began offering storage is Virtuoso in Hayward. They are a very highly regarded restoration and vintage racing preparation shop. I don't think they are offering dedicated spots but you can always count on some really neat stuff around you. See them at vprace.com .

On the peninsula there is Autovino in Menlo Park as well, at auto-vino.org.

Hope you find one that works.

12. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    I acually found the Sausalito place to be pretty expensive. It was cheaper to just rent a garage. I rent out two in the city via Craigslist and have 24/7 access and I have the whole garage.

13. TZL

TZL Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2003
    Atherton, CA
    I just rent additional spaces in my building

When I was living full time in SF, I had 3 spaces in my building, two mine and one rented for just $150

Many condo building have extra spaces that go unused, just ask the staff...much easier than having to get your card from storage

Of course I can store your cars for you...I'll even take them out once in a while to make sure the fluids turn over....it's a chore, but what do you know, I'm out to lend a hand to a f-chat brother :p