Exhaust volume: OEM vs Kline | FerrariChat

Exhaust volume: OEM vs Kline

Discussion in '360/430' started by drmc, Oct 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I purchased a S-line exhaust for my F430 a few months ago and absolutely love the F1 scream it makes. Problem is, the girlfriend hates how loud it is while we’re cruising along at 3k rpm and basically refuses to ride in the car, hence I’m on the hunt for other options.

I’ve considered going back to the OEM system which is quite civilised at low rpm when the valves are closed, but the pitch at redline just doesn’t do that much for me. The volume is fine, just the pitch is the issue.

After a bunch of research I’m looking at purchasing a Kline valved exhaust as from what I’ve read here on F-chat it might be the best of both worlds.

Can anyone confirm that with OEM headers and Kline exhaust, the volume:

• at low RPM: is less than the OEM exhaust with the valves closed (very quiet)
    • At high RPM: is approx the same as the OEM exhaust with the valves open, but just a higher pitch?

The only videos I could find of 430’s with Kline exhausts also had aftermarket headers where I have OEM v2 headers.

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    David,
    If you like your K-Line you could still keep it and reduce the noise whenever you want. All you need to do is get the K-Line fitted with the factory valves from your original tips (some welding will be required but no so hard to find someone to do it for you).

AV Engineering can sort out the programming for you. They can then program the ecu's for you so the valves are closed at cruising speeds and normal mode then snap open in race mode only or at any point you with. They can work with you and customize the exact points of opening. They are based on a function of torque requested by the throttle pedal and rpm so they are fully customizable.

MRY likes this.
  3. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    That’s a great idea, thanks mate.

Has anyone put the OEM valved tips on an S-line exhaust?

grtoz likes this.
  4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The S Line is effectively a straight pipe (hence the extreme resonance at the usual spot of 3k RPM). Fitting valves won't make any difference to you. The idea of a valve is to divert exhaust gas through either a silenced or un-silenced path: you do not have choice of the former.

ShineKen likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You need Kline with 100 or 200 cell cats to bring the volume up.

6. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Scratch that idea.

Does anyone have an in-car vid of an F430 with OEM headers and Kline exhaust?

The few videos I can find on the internet all have cars with aftermarket headers.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    S line is coming out with a valved muffler for the 430

drmc and armedferret like this.
  8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    You may have to wait a while, but I have and plan on keeping the OEM MKII headers and stock Cats on my 09 430 and just ordered the Klein valvetronic exhaust setup with the "button" that goes into the cigarette lighter to control the valves. I was told it may take 6 to 8 weeks as they are built to order. When it gets installed I will be able to give a comparison of the Klein vs my current Fabspeed Raceline X-Pipe. The Fabspeed sounds amazing and is super light, but my wife doesn't get the idea of loud cars, so the Klein seems to be the right one for me since it still has an X-Pipe, but has a full silencer/muffler when the valves are closed. I don't plan on keeping the Fabspeed, hopefully I can find someone who will enjoy it.

Cheers,
    Corey

drmc likes this.
  9. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    I am putting the s-line valved version on my car right now. Should be ready in a day or so. I’ll post results once done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armedferret, drmc and kes7u like this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    valved?

11. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny

How's the new valved S-line system sound mate?

Also, have you noticed any increase in low down torque?

Cheers

13. Alan NZ

Alan NZ Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I fitted my Kline exhaust to the stock headers initially while I was waiting to get Fabspeed headers. To answer your questions:
    1. At low RPM the volume is noticeably lower than stock.
    2. At high RPM the volume is louder than stock and is much higher pitched.

The system does not drone even after Fabspeed headers were fitted. Aside from the reliability issues associated with stock headers the system sounds best with the Fabspeed plus Kline exhaust. Note that stock cats are still fitted.

14. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Thanks Alan.

Out of interest, with the Kline + Fabspeed headers fitted, how does the volume compare to the stock exhaust and headers at low and high RPM?

15. Alan NZ

Alan NZ Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Hi Danny

The Kline + Fabspeed is slightly quieter than stock at low RPM and is definitely louder and higher pitched at high RPM. For driving around town and cruising on the open road it is more refined and doesn't drone at all - I hate droning!

When the valves open up it sounds purposeful and moves up in volume and pitch as revs increase.

I have the stainless steel version and got the optional Kline valve controller which allows you to override the factory valve settings to open the valves if you want to increase volume at low revs. The valve controller only works this way.

I highly recommend this setup, much better than stock.

drmc and armedferret like this.
  16. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Where do you plug in the "button" for the valve controller? Are you using the cigarette lighter or the accessory socket? Do you have a picture of their "Button" installed in your car? I ordered the "Inconel" button controller for my Kline exhaust when it arrives and was curious of how it looks in the interior of the car.

I'm also happy to hear about the Fabspeed headers and the Kline being quieter than stock with the valves closed, that means at some point if my MKII headers fail, I have options which won't make my wife unhappy.

Cheers,
    Corey

17. Alan NZ

Alan NZ Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I have the button in the accessory socket. Not much protrudes from the top and it fairly low key. It's made from aluminium and you can tell when it's switched on by a circle of light blue led around the switch. I don't have a photo and I'm away ATM.
    Have a search on the forums about fitting the Kline valve controller regarding wiring and heat insulation around the control module that fits in the engine bay, they are very helpful.

18. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
  19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Hey Corey,
    Here is a picture of what it looks like plugged in . I found that the receiver is sensitive to the engine bay heat. Insulate the receiver (I used what they called a TIG finger) and the wires.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Thanks. That clears up what the button looks like. I guess it will be different in my configuration as I have an aftermarket CF cup holder instead of the ash tray with lighter socket. I have the factory accessory outlet next to the mirror controls since the 2008/2009 cars had a different bluetooth setup. I will need to figure out how to remove the plastic cover's lanyard on the accessory outlet without damaging it since it will look strange just hanging there, but want everything to be reversible back to factory in the future.

21. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Kline is very good stuff, 100% my favorite exhaust brand.

I have them on my 991TT.

22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    My Kline F430 headers are on the way ... made in their own factory

23. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Hey Richard,

I think I saw in a different thread that you purchased the Kline valved exhaust?

Are you purchasing the headers for extra volume / torque / issues with the OEM headers cracking?

24. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I previously had a Kline exhaust on my Scud, which has now been replaced by a GT3 RS. On a F430, its worth changing the headers just to get rid of the pre cats

25. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Scud to GT3 RS - very nice

I’d be keen to change my headers to capristo for the extra low down torque and to avoid the potential issues with the OEM ones, however I’m concerned it’ll make the car too loud.

Did the Kline make your scud quieter at low RPMs?