Exercises You May Want to Eliminate | FerrariChat

Exercises You May Want to Eliminate

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by billyfitness, Jul 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    There are a ton, but these five are the big ones to get rid of if you value your shoulder.
    Most involve either an extreme range of motion or excessive internal rotation creating wear on, most notably, the tendon of the long head of the biceps, glenoid labrum, or the cartilage itself.
    If you guys want any specifics or more detail as to the underlying mechanics as to why there is detriment, let me know. -Billy

1. Upright Row (works nothing specific)
    > Better option: DB Lateral Raise

2. Tricep Dips (excessive extension of GH joint)
    > Better Option: Tricep Pushdown, reverse grip

3. Anything behind the head (Pulldowns, Military Press, etc.)
    > Keep it in front and use Db's for Overheads

4. Decline Press (Instigates too much Int. Rot., Barbell or DB)
    > Better Option: Up to 10 degrees is fine.

5. Bench Press (not only inefficient for Pec development, it's usually performed with excessive load)
    > Better Option: Dumbbells at a variety of angles

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Were you watching me workout yesterday? At the request of my brother we did upright rows and military press. I did notice that my shoulder wasn't very happy about the military press.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    With any workout its all about form and watching the weight.

I dont see an issue with decline press with barbell or db's.

And I do behind the back, but again you have to watch form and weight. If you feel any pain stop.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    You know, I can't remember ever having done a decline press, and I don't think my chest is any worse for it! Also agree big time on the upright row. Seems like a flat-out waste of time.

I do like doing dips, but only four sets in one workout a week. Of course, that's usually with at least a 45 lbs. plate or DB, so maybe I'm setting myself up for pain anyway. Is part of the problem going excessively past parallel at the bottom, or do you think the exercise is too stressful in general?

5. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    #5 billyfitness, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    Form is important but it's not about the weight so much as the Torque the weight generates and what position the joint is in throughout an exercise. A 100# suitcase is pretty easy to hold down by your side but try holding it straight out to the side. Same weight, different torque.

Just because you don't 'see' an issue with Decline doesn't mean there isn't one.
    Up to 10 deg decline is fine, any greater/deeper than that it creates more internal rotation and a more instable joint with increased torque. The deeper it goes the more 'Dip' like it becomes, in a different plane.

Behind the head:
    Military:
    - If you have to flex your neck to get your head out of the way to do any exercise...there's a problem.
    - If you can get there without having to get your head out of the way you have joint laxity.
    - Seated Military w/BB targets the Anterior Delt which is the most overworked muscle in the upper extremity and contributes to rounded shoulder posture and impingement. Much better to do it standing w/DB's to involve more Serratus and Upper Trap.
    - The arm position is what is called Closed-Packed, maximally taught and closed joint position. Not a good place to be placing a load w/max torque.

Pulldown behind head:
    - Again..flexing neck=bad
    - The Lats are actually targeted more with resistance coming from 10 deg fwd of you. Sort of the reason your body naturally leans back when doing a Pullup.

-Billy

6. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    The problem is that the arm has about 20-30 of extension behind the body and you are taking it to 90d if you're going parallel. In addition, the joint is becoming ridiculously unstable, torque is increasing and your shoulder blade is 'tipping' (coming off the rib cage), and you are promoting joint laxity.

There are a ton of better ways to train and build your Triceps without risk to the integrity of the shoulder.

-Billy

7. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    You know the international sign for bench press (and those two things you did) is walking around the gym rubbing the front of your shoulder...right? :)

-Billy

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    First off, this is great post--thanks. Another one about what might trash or exacerbate knee issue would be most appreciated. I have a couple of thoughts:
    1) YMMV--just because an exercise is not listed here does not mean that exercise is safe for your particular shoulders.
    2) Billy--are your alternative exercise descriptors exact enough that a web search will pull of a demonstration of exactly what the exercise is?

Scott

9. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I just finished therapy for rotator cuff and neck/trap issues, all caused by the exercises you mentioned. I also had too-wide a grip for pull-ups.

I've modified my program but just can't get away from bench press. I just love it. So we modified my form some and dropped weight to keep everything in check. What would you suggest instead?

10. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    -True, there are many others. In fact any exercise can be detrimental if not progressed appropriately, varied frequently, and executed perfectly. Taking into account a person's individual skeletal structure, goals, capabilities, and limitations are also empirical.

- Well, maybe, I don't know...it depends on who's providing the information. ;-)
    If you have a particular question about a specific exercise I'd be glad to help though.

- I can put a post up about Lower Extremity Training and the knee.

-Billy

11. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Hey, if you love the bench, who am I to argue? ;-)

I'll just say that there are a lot of problems with it and I don't do it.

If your goal is Pec Major development then it really isn't the best option. The job of the Pec is to horizontally Adduct the arms...straight out in front and pull to the midline. As you can see, with a fixed grip on a barbell, that does not happen. Your hands end up far apart at the finish, up to two feet in some cases depending on your arm length. There are other things, Physics wise, going on that I won't bore you with and some issues with the wrist and the scapula too.

- Dumbbells are the best option at a variety of angles, changed each workout. There are 3 divisions to the Pec major.
    - Flys on a machine (DB Flys are a whole other problem!)
    - Tubing, Bowflex are great additions
    - Pushups I love. Using handles to keep the wrists happy, feet on a ball, hands on a ball with feet elevated, suspended using chains hovering off the ground...etc.

Remember this:

'Just because an exercise has been done for years does not make it safe or effective.'
    -Tom Purvis

-Billy

12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Billy, I've been thinking why is incline bench okay, but not decline?

13. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I love Bench but will change it because it does give me pain and issues as I get heavy. The last two evil exercises I do are bench and dips. I cut out dips today based on your post but I still did bench :p ... so you are saying dumbell press (same as bench but using dumbells) is the way to go? Do I start really light to get used to it for a few weeks?

I'm no powerhouse but can rep 200 x 12 for 3 sets; what dumbbells am I looking at? Mine only go up to 52.5 (nautilus adjustable)

Thanks Billy!

14. PRS

PRS Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Issaquah
    Full Name:
    Pete S
    I hurt my shoulders at a young age doing dips, never again. The shoulders are not designed to take that kind of weight at those angles. I've seen people do weighted dips.... oh well.

As for the dumbbells, I made friends with the manager at a Play-It-Again Sports store. They get used weights in all of the time. My heaviest dumbbells are 90 pounds. He had 100's last time I was there. Good prices on used weights. No sense buying new unless you want the rubber coated stuff or something.

Anyway, how are you doing bench? Machine? 200 pounds isn't a normal weight on bench. A pair of 70's and 80's would probably be a good start. A lot more comes into play when benching dumbbells.

15. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Detriments of the Decline are listed above.

Incline is fine because there is a 'handoff' of large muscleclature as you increase the angle and the amount of External Rotation of the GH joint. And, the joint is much more stable being held together by a lot of 'supporting players' , rot. cuff, delts, etc. that contribute to joint integrity in order to move the load.

I'm sure you know that the higher you go the more Anterior Delt is brought in and less Pec Major to the point where 'full' incline is actually an overhead press. Tricep contribution stays relatively constant but can be manipulated by adduction of the arms, closer to the body and/or grip/db width.

Exploring all angles of incline, not just flat-45d-overhead, but every angle in between to hit all fibers is the key. That and 'rotating your tires' not doing the same exercise at the same angle all the time.

-Billy

16. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Yup, DB's my man!

I like to think that DB's are roughly 20% more difficult than a Barbell. There are many reasons of Physics but a simple explanation is that you are responsible for a lot more potential movement in multiple planes with DB's. A smith machine (guided motion) for example goes up and down, that's it. You can lift a sh*load on that sucker. DB's any direction goes and you have to control it.

So, based on the 20% guesstamite, you're looking at going shopping.... up to 80's! :)

-Billy

17. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Interesting. I cannot do any incline presses except those done on a Hammer Strength plate loaded machine, and even then I have to be careful. Even at minimal inclines and light weights (25% of my flat bench standard weight) I get severe shoulder pain (whether using BB, DBs, other fixed machine). I had to stop military presses years ago, and incline bench work more shortly after. Big time weight (133% of my standard bench weight) is fine with decline (I don't know the decline angle, but it isn't severe, and this is also on a plate loaded machine). Similar (to my flat bench) free weight declines (DB's only--I never press a BB) are also fine.

Hence my previous comment about respecting your own particular physiology.

18. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's actually 205 but it's on a smith machine not free weights. I used to max out 6-8 reps but kept hurting things so now I always aim for 12 reps for all my exercises.

Since I am using a smith machine I'll drop even more and take it easy. I used to workout with free weights for years, hurt stuff, thought the machine would be safer/better, and have been using it for 1.5 years. I think I'm going to sell it and get a free weight setup again. Too many issues with the smith machine and what I want to do.

19. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I always found that the Smith machine placed more stress on my joints in odd ways. You're even more locked into the movement than with a barbell, so no natural flow. I hate those things :)

20. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Well that's weird. I feel MUCH more comfortable pulling down behind my head. When I pull down in front or when I do pullups, my neck is very tightly tensed/flexed to the rear. If I do pulldowns behind my head, my neck is relaxed & my head just sits there...

21. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    #21 billyfitness, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    I am always cautious to assign exercises or form over the internet because, as you mention, you cannot visually or physically screen the person or know their current capabilities/limitations/injuries. But, suggestions or exercise analysis I believe are warranted.

The pain you mention is very common and most always related to the AC (Acromioclavicular) Joint where the collar bone inserts into the Scapula (shoulder blade). It is a very fragile joint subjected to enormous stress mostly because it is held in place by, and dependent upon ligaments and muscle for mobility and stability rather than possessing a ball and socket like the hip.
    With Muscle Activation Techniques and developing a program emphasizing Progression & Strategic Variation I have had huge success in alleviating the pain, restoring motion, and increasing strength.

Incline forces the Clavicle (collar bone) to move upward and endure more stress/require more stability whereas Flat and Decline do not, although the collar bone does move fwd and bkwd. Thus your discomfort with that plane/motion and relative comfort with the other. Still, extreme decline is inappropriate stress and another injury just waiting to happen.

Hammer Strength manipulates the resistance through use of levers and axis so what you put on is not what you're lifting, but may be/is a solution for you.

I also find those 'worker-outers' who spend too much time on their backs on a bench or seated hoisting as much weight as they can muster are the ones that get injured.

Employing resistance tubing, standing presses, alternating DB's, varying the amount, direction, plane, and angle of the resistance, and especially standing alternating db overhead presses intentionally focusing on reaching rather than pushing the DB's are just a few strategies I use to get that collar bone and entire shoulder complex moving, synchronized, and stable.

Hope that helps and makes sense. Let me know if you want more specific 'internet' ;-) advice.

-Billy

22. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    When pulling in front, where is your head positioned? Looking up? Down? Straight forward?

-Billy

23. PRS

PRS Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Issaquah
    Full Name:
    Pete S
    I managed to hurt the AC joint on my left shoulder. Are there any other exercises (with dumbells) that you can recommend besides the standard resistance band rehad ones? It's a slight injury, but I feel it every so often. (not separated like my coworker, hehehe)

24. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Billy, I wish you had posted this a couple months ago as once again you are spot on for your advice...too late for my left bicep tendon.

Im doing ultrasound, massage, and ice for several weeks to try and settle this thing down...so painful that my left pec has really tightened up and needs regular deep massage and stretching too.... definately the press, tricep dips, and lat pullups that screwed it up.

Am i safe in continuing deadlifts and back squats if they dont create any pain spike?

keep up, the good informative posts!

beev

25. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I can't assign anything without seeing it because it just may exasperate the injury. Where do you live? I may be able to point you in the direction of a colleague.

As far as 'standard resistance band rehab ex's'. Yeh, there are a lot more to assign than the those they usually dole out, but I am a huge fan of tubing.

-Billy