Excellent Product for removing rust and oxidation | FerrariChat

Excellent Product for removing rust and oxidation

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Aug 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

As with most of my projects, I seem to get sidetracked on issues/tangents that I encounter with these projects. Case in point is my suspension refresh that I have been slowly working on this season. The latest tangent involved understanding the process and solutions needed to Parkerize various metal parts as part of my refresh. I honestly had no real interest in investigating and analyzing the Parkerizing process, however, for whatever reason no one within my area does Parkerizing and in fact most had no idea what it is. So necessity stimulated my unending curiosity into all things...

With that said... As I gathered the various chemical components needed for Parkerizing I came across a off the shelf product that claimed to be an excellent solution for removing rust. I bought the product for is base component (Phosphoric Acid), but simply tried it on my coilover spring "keepers". My spring "keepers" had some slight surface rust, but were heavily oxidized. In the past I would simply clean them as best as I could with a brass wire wheel, etc and then send them off to the platers. I was going to do this, but thought I would try this rust busting product for kicks. I was simply amazed at the results after about 5-10 minutes in the solution. The keepers came out looking almost like new! At first I thought I was inhaling too many fumes, etc as I could not believe my eyes at how well this solution cleaned the metal. Once I removed the parts, neutralized them (in plain water), I expected them further and the results speak for themselves. I then redid the process with my front spring retainers, but this time I took some before and after pics and have posted them here.

As for the product... I am sure there are other vendors offering similar products, but the one I used is called "rust buster primer" from a Canadian Firm called surfpro:

https://www.surfpro.ca/rust-primer-buster

Some of there products are stocked at some local home centers, but not this one. A bottle (just under a litre) is about $9 CAN and so I ordered 4 and with shipping via the Post the cost was around $50 total.

As for its use... remember that it is an acid and so use the appropriate precautions and read the MSDS data sheet, etc. In my case I used a small plastic container with heavy rubber gloves in a well ventilated space with a 5 gallon bucket of plain water close by. The solution is a murky milky-ish color and is translucent. When I placed the keepers the solution started to bubble and in about 30-40 seconds the solutions turned a brownish color... After about 10 minutes I removed the items with pliers and immediately neutralized the process. be aware that this solution will remove metal surface treatments and even the anodization off aluminum and so use it appropriately. In my case the keepers will be plated and so I was unconcerned.

Anyway, I thought I would share my experiences with this, as it certainly saved and will continually save me a bunch of time cleaning various parts... and it looks to do a better job than what I could do manually.

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login