ex-shah 57SC 57808:confirming low period | FerrariChat

ex-shah 57SC 57808:confirming low period

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by bitzman, Apr 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Once this thread was started that reminded me to check on the history of the 57C van vooren two seater that the Petersen Museum has. I was wondering who the American was that nabbed it in 1959? A well known car collector? An international wheeler dealer? That was when the Shah was still in power so I was wondering why he would sell it? Or was it in Europe at the time so the Shah didn't worry about it anymore? Also I heard an American V8 was put in, though I am sure that wasn't Bob Petersen (the last owner) even though HOT ROD magazine touted many an engine conversion.
    I am a litle surprised how much they copied Figoni et Falaschi's Typ 165 Delahaye even down to the roll down windscreen

PS I thought the museum director said it was 'abandoned in the desert once" Anybody ever hear this?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The story of 57808 is told in a Salon article in "Road & Track", October 1986.

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I found out most of the answers, tho I am puzzled
    why when it was in Holland
    it had no spats front or rear.
    I was worried those had been the invention of the restorers in the UK
    but I ran into the Museum curator who told me it had the front and rear spats when new and he has pictures of it so equipped.
    Now I just want to know if the Bugatti engine was left behind in Iran since it left Iran with a Packard or Cadillac engine

4. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

One of my friends just posted a picture of the 57sc in the Tehran Cafe Racers thread here on FC. One picture is of the car when it was still in Iran being driven out and one when (I think) it had reached Holland on its own wheels.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Ramin