Ex-Ferrari boss Domenicali to take over as Formula 1 CEO ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ex-Ferrari boss Domenicali to take over as Formula 1 CEO ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I would guess that Carey has substantial stock from Liberty and his role in F1 was just temporary anyway. He will probably help Liberty in another acquisition.

tifosi12 likes this.
  2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Where Rimac's money comes from?

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Volkswagen....

Igor Ound likes this.
  4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Porsche own a substantial share in Rimac

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mercedes F1 chief Toto Wolff doubts Ferrari ever would have accepted him as Formula One boss, but says he never had serious discussions about taking the job anyway.

Former Ferrari team boss and sporting director Stefano Domenicali will replace Chase Carey as CEO in January. Carey has run the sport since Liberty Media completed its takeover in 2017.

Wolff praised the appointment, saying: "Great move from Liberty.

"I think Stefano is foremost a man with a great personality, integrity and knowledge of the sport ... I think he's a great choice for the role."

He added: "[Domenicali] knows the sport inside out and I think sport comes first. He's going to stay away from, in my opinion, artificial things.

"He's a purist, but equally understands that you need to keep your spectators and your audiences interested. That balance is really complicated to have right, and I think he will get it right."

Wolff had been suggested as a candidate for the top job in the past but, despite preliminary talks with Liberty president and CEO Greg Maffei, he said he could not have moved away from the competitive side of the sport.

"Everybody knows there were some initial discussions with Greg and it never went anywhere. We get on well, I respect Greg Maffei a lot for what he has achieved, but I love where I am.

"I found out that I love the stopwatch so much, the competition and the racing, that where I am today, co-owner of the team with Mercedes, I have to pinch myself every day. In the end it wouldn't have gone anywhere anyway because Ferrari wouldn't have accepted that."

Ferrari has a historical veto due to its long stint in the sport -- it celebrated its 1,000th race at the Tuscan Grand Prix earlier this month.

When asked if he really thinks Ferrari would have blocked any move for him to take over, he said: "I know that, but that's OK. They have this right and if you have that right it's very easy to. I respect it, absolutely.

"I would have probably had the same thoughts. You've got to have the best guy to run the sport, but I think they have the right guy today, Stefano is the real deal."

6. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hahahaha this gave me a good laugh.
    Last thing on VW's mind is F1. They are looking at getting rid of Bugatti and now apparently Lamborghini as well. What help do they get in selling cars by being in F1?

william likes this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Bugatti and Lamborghini will be traded like pieces of jewelry.
    I don't care much about Bugatti, but I fear Lambo is too much dependent from Audi, on the engineering side, to become independent again.

classic308 likes this.
  8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #33 Igor Ound, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    They still have Porsche racing in Lemans and with Audi in FE, plus Lambo and Bentley GT cars, Audi in DTM, etc. If F1 is getting cheaper and they can steer it even more electric/environmental would it be so funny for you to think they take those budgets and enter F1 instead, even if just as a PU supplier? Might be much better value as very few watch those other series and they don’t come for free

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Gah is the only word that comes to mind.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
  12. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008