Ex-Ferrari boss Domenicali to take over as Formula 1 CEO ? | FerrariChat

Ex-Ferrari boss Domenicali to take over as Formula 1 CEO ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ex-Ferrari boss Domenicali to take over as Formula 1 CEO

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Former Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali is poised to make a surprise return to Formula 1 as the CEO of the sport, RaceFans has learned from a source with knowledge of the situation.

The role of CEO will be relinquished by Chase Carey, who took up the position in January 2017 following Liberty Media’s takeover, and has recently overseen the successful completion of negotiations to extend F1’s Concorde Agreement with all 10 participating teams. Carey, who also holds the role of F1 chairman, is expected to retain links to the sport in an outward-facing role.

Domenicali, 55, is well-connected both to Formula 1 managing director Ross Brawn and FIA president Jean Todt through his spell at Ferrari. Born in Imola and educated at the University of Bologna, Domenicali joined Ferrari in 1991. He took over from Todt in charge of the team in 2007 and oversaw its most recent championship success the following year, before standing down in 2014.

In December that year Domenicali took over as the head of the FIA’s single seater commission. Two years later he became the CEO of Lamborghini, which is now believed to be up for sale by parent company Audi.

Domenicali is expected to take over the role before the start of next season. Liberty Media declined to comment when approached by RaceFans.

The appointment of Domenicali means the top roles at both F1’s governing body and commercial rights holder will be held by former Ferrari principals. However Todt, who became FIA president in 2010, has indicated he will not seek re-election when his current term expires at the end of next year.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/22/ex-ferrari-boss-domenicali-to-take-over-as-formula-1-ceo/

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It looks like ex-Ferrari men will be in key positions both at the FIA and at Liberty.

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    ...which isn’t helpful in ANY way to the Scuderia.

ingegnere and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Agree, and still won’t stop people whining about favouritism to Mercedes!!!!!

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Lamborghini is for sale? Now that they finally are making some money? And who is going to buy that? Stroll?

6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I will miss the moustache comedy from Chase Carey...

tifosi12 likes this.
  7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    That's strange. Get a company firing on all cylinders then abandon it.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Not if it is at the apex of it's value curve.

The world is changing.

Audi may feel the future isn't too bright for Lamorghini.

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    They´ll have to invest in new engines with hybrid stuff soon so maybe they prefer to get some quick cash now.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Could it be he’ll pave the way for VW to finally enter F1 on their own terms and rules?

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    No he just bought a loser car company.

Igor Ound and Flavio_C like this.
  12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No one will want an electric Lamborghini. Seems that's the path the world leaders (?) have chosen....

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This news is puzzling. What is the rationale behind it?

Is Liberty unhappy with Carey's performance? In reality he did a good job, in fact an extremely good one given the harsh conditions of this year. Bernie and many journos wanted to write off the season, Carey fought that. And saved several teams from collapsing.

I wasn't a Carey fan when he replaced the grid girls with grid children. Too PC. But I like the expansion of F1 he is trying to accomplish in the Americas and globally. And he did a stellar job this year.

Domenicali didn't convince me at Ferrari (unlike e.g. Todt or Montezuma). So why replace a proven winner with somebody new?

I don't get it. Do you guys?

william likes this.
  14. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    There was a plan in place from the outset of Liberty's investment that Chase was going to only have the position a short time, my understanding was that he was supposed to leave even earlier, but they instituted the "Wolff Rule" which meant that no one that was the principal of a team within the past two years could head F1. So back to the drawing board after that was agreed upon. Wolff was heavily linked to the position over the past couple of seasons.

Domenicali has lead an F1 team and now a supercar company as well as served on the FIAs single seater commission so there is experience there. Your opinion may be very valid, but that seems to be their reasoning behind his choice.

Bas likes this.
  15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, thanks for the explanation. Didn't know this was a preplanned exit. So no shame on Carey, all good.

I'll miss the sweater over the shoulders and the moustache. :)

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Another ex Ferrari employee to stick the boot into SF no doubt, hopefully he has higher morals than that?

Seems like most of the FIA will indeed be Ferrari International Association [of ex employees] :)

Tony

17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    There's a thread for this already.:)

TonyL and NeuroBeaker like this.
  18. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Just saw the official news release from Automotive News Europe, Domenicali's appointment is effective 1/1/2021.

19. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    VW have got to generate cash to pay for diesel gate plus the problems they have launching meb platform. Bugatti also being offloaded but that's really a shuffle to Porsche ownership

20. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Per the Automotive News article, Lamborghini is not for sale.

21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    To clarify, the article references an October 13 2019 (11 months previous) statement by VW:
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/volkswagen-says-no-plans-for-sale-or-ipo-of-lamborghini-1.1330996

If Domenicali is not replaced (no replacement has been announced) you can presume the brand is going to have a transition of some sort, per speculation as to what that may be. But for the CEO to resign a year and half after his 5-year plan was announced:
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/ceo-stefano-domenicalis-five-step-plan-lamborghini

something is wrong, very wrong, and I think the pending EURO 7 regulations have a great deal to do with that (i.e. no new V12 anywhere in sight, recent 'evolutions' to electric are not 'compliance cars') and we may find Lamborghini combining with Porsche and the "new" CEO is actually the Porsche CEO (Oliver Blume), after all, Lamborghini already has its main designer from Porsche, the Urus is 100% Porsche drivetrain, the Taycan EV technology would be available, etc...

not to mention the close relationship of VW and Rimac
    https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/2019/09/Rimac.html

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Toto Wolff on whether the F1 boss role would have been a good role for him too: "My place is with Mercedes. I feel comfortable with the constellation, I am not only team principal but also a partner of Mercedes. Together I believe we can bring the team into a new league."

Toto Wolff: "I am happy for Stefano. He is a man who knows racing and the business, so a good choice!"

Are you worried that an ex-Ferrari man is the F1 boss now? Toto Wolff: "No worries at all. Stefano is a man of integrity. He will try to develop the sport in the best possible way, which of course includes that he will probably try to slow us down. But that is part of the game."

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Best thing about this? He can’t come back as TP at the scuderia for a while...

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I'm more interested with the fact that Lambo is for sale?? And it seems Rimac might buy over Bugatti as well?

25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I was being serious. It is not helpful to Ferrari at all and actually does play into Mercedes hands.