Ex Bertil 250 PF Coupe, Coming Up | FerrariChat

Ex Bertil 250 PF Coupe, Coming Up

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by iii56, Jul 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Is it accurate that this car was originally built with disc brakes? 1521GT a 250 LWB Interim was originally fitted with drums. Would think that this Pf coupe at 1471 would be a bit early for this.

Jeff

2. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #4 Marcel Massini, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is 0853 GT. Prince Bertil's Special 250 GT PF Coupé. I bought it on the 4th April 2007 in Stockholm, Sweden. Later sold to a collector based in New Hampshire. BTW the original color was NOT turquoise. It was Celeste Italver 6850.

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    So when was the color change made an by whom? Before it went to Prince Bertil (as condition of sale) or during his ownership?

What about the disc brake installation for 1471? Original build or later installation?

Jeff

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't know anything about the validity of the statement, but the auction description says that disc brakes were an option in 1959 and that 1471 was factory equipped with discs.

6. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Regarding 1471GT, the prince always received the special treatment, so it would likely have come with disk brakes from the beginning, or once disks arrived at Maranello, it might have returned to the factory for retrofit, as did other contemporary models.

The question is did the car come with O/D gearbox or was that a period retrofit.

john

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    What color change? 0853 GT has always been Celeste/Light blue.

Marcel Massini

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Marcel.

Guess I misunderstood your comment. Re-reading you were objecting to the use of "turquoise" as the color description instead of the official name of "celeste"

Jeff

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I believe the car was built with discs and overdrive. There are no service records that I have ever seen indicating that the car was ever returned at any time to the factory for service. Having spoken to Langdon Procter on several occasions I would think this would have been stated. The engine rebuild at Garage Pesa was for far different reasons than miles. The trunk is fiberglass and the distributors are Lucas Racing.

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Is the carpeting and leather original, specifically the pieces around the handbrake boot? If these pieces have the same look and patina as the rest of the interior, then you can safely assume that the brakes were original to the car, or fitted by the factory shortly after the car's birth. Remember, the drum brake cars came with the umbrella-handle pull lever under the dash.

john

12. iii56

iii56 Karting

Feb 21, 2014
    S.E.Asia
    Full Name:
    J Jericho
    Be interesting to see what F-Chatters suggest the hammer price would be... I think around the $600k mark...

Anyone else...??