Ethanol Free Gas | FerrariChat

Ethanol Free Gas

Discussion in 'New England' started by ko23, Sep 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ko23

ko23 Karting

May 6, 2015
    Does anyone fill their F-cars with ethanol free gas for winter storage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Does anyone know where it can be purchased?

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  4. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Unless you have access to getting avgas into your car, ethanol free gas can't be purchased in this state.

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    What about at the track? Limerock or Thompson?

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Just happened to see this thread under the Mid-Atlantic section.

Try this source:

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Hopefully it is still up to date. You might also want to try a boat marina. Boaters hate E-10. Even with E-0, Stabil is good insurance.

7. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
  8. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    I use Ace True Value @ 2524 West Shore Rd. Warwick, RI - Sunoco 95-98-110 by 5 gal. can.

9. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    More info please.....
    Do they have a pump or do you buy a can of gas?

10. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    In MA Ethanol free gas can only be purchased in 5 gal cans and at a fairly hefty price. You won't find it out of a pump. Not worth it IMHO. A full tank of top tier pump gas is fine for 5-6month winter vehicle storage.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree with this, and I do add Stabil. Plus, unless we have a winter like two years ago, take it out on a nice January day for a 100 mile ride. I take my Harley out also.

12. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Hampton air strip in nh (Hampton). I fill up 5 5 gallon cans every month or so during the summer. Bring the cans b/c they're not supposed to let you drive up to the pumps. They've let me before but it's an air strip. They call it mo gas. Big difference with a carb car. Call before you go, they do run out and they've taken mos before to get another delivery

13. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI

Cans only, and this weekend they only had 98 & 110.

14. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    On my carbed cars I've used synthetic 2-stroke oil mixed 100:1 to combat the ethanol.

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I can't believe all of the BS you guys have to put up with.

16. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I top up with Shell V-Power and some marine grade Stabil and by Spring I drive the car until 3/4 of the tank is empty. Fill the tank with fresh gas, drive and repeat as needed until it's time to put her away.

17. Fernando1

Fernando1 Karting

Feb 9, 2008
    Wondering if I should be using Ethanol Free Gas in my 2004 360 Modena rather than 93 Octane

18. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I just drop in a bottle of dry gas and some Sta-bil on each of my cars for the winter. Never had a problem.

19. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I only use ethanol free gas in my 355 due to the fact that the older cars are not equipped with fuel system components that are ethanol tolerant. I suppose that upgrading to new components at some point may be necessary as ethanol-free fuel becomes harder to procure. I saw somewhere that AV fuel was recommended, and I would say be careful. I believe AV fuel has lead in it and would kill the catalytic converters. I use AV fuel for my 2 stroke engines and it works great, everything starts right up.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    We only have E10 in CT since, as i recall, 2006. I have a 308 I bought new in '85 and a 355 since 2013. Seldom drive the 308 so it sits with old E10 in it for long periods. I don't think it's been to a gas station in at least 2 years. Just took it out of the garage last week to change brake fluid. I got in and it started immediately, as it always does, and it's never had any kind of fuel related problem. Same with the 355. Also same with lawn tractor, mower, snow blower. I never use any kind of additive. Why would you put Dry Gas in E10? Dry gas is basically alcohol. Sta-bil fuel stabilizer is 95% kerosene, 5% phenol, isopropylated. Mixing ratio is 1 oz/2.5 gal of gas, or 1/320. So correctly mixed gas has 0.3% Sta-bil and 0.015% phenol, isopropylated. Phenol, isopropylated is used for a flame retardant and lubricant. Personally, I have a hard time believing that 0.015% of anything added to gas will have any effect. Might as well just ad 1 oz kerosene/2.5 gallons.

Anyway, in regard to Fernando's post, my experience is don't worry about it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Wow. I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any issues with E10 sitting over long periods. I personally have had several issues with it especially with lawnmowers and weedwhackers etc, with green gummy goo in the carb/fuel tank and lines. A friend of mine who has a chainsaw/small engine repair shop has commented to me that in some cases he has to buy new carbs for the newer machines as they are not rebuildable. Anyway, we are still fortunate (for now) that eth-free gas is still available in either 90 or 91 octane. I also have seen some pictures of rubber fuel components that have been attacked and turned to goo. I can remember when unleaded fuel came out in the mid 70's and everyone was worried about their valve guides not holding up, but I never personally could attest to an engine burning oil as a result of using unleaded gas. But I can attest to green slime in carbs and fuel system issues, and since switching over to AV and non-eth gas- no issues. Hope your luck continues! :)