Estimated cost for season of Ferari Challenge | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Estimated cost for season of Ferari Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Matt LaMotte, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not putting down money, if I had more I wouldn't just be racing Mazdas and a 15 year old Ferrari. :D Ferrari Challenge series is great for what it is. For less money you can race pro doing famous races like Daytona 24, Sebring, 12, and door to door with the top talent in America.

2. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Really, I am so green to the entire thought process that I would not think that possible. I need to PM you and get more info. Bought my first F-car this year and now have the "bug"

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you will find all range of "track" drivers here on FerrariChat that can give you advice.

street car track events - street car unleashed on tracks with instructors $300-500 a weekend.

amateur club racing - Ferrari Challenge Series, SCCA, NASA. Complete range of budgets and talent.

pro club racing - Grand Am, ALMS, World Challenge, Trans Am, etc. The stuff you see on TV!

gowthamn likes this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  5. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

DING DING DING

WE HAVE A WINNAR

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Yeah, I don't really get F challenge racing. The cars are superb and there is talent at the front, but if you want to race with the best talent that runs deep in the field, you have to consider Grand Am, World Challenge, and other pro series. For $500K a year, I feel pretty confident you can run a very fine pro series. And don't knock club racing. I get to race with SCCA and NASA National champs from time to time in club racing.

In fact, if you have the bug to race I can't recommend enough to do it in a spec car class at the club level first to learn and make the inevitable rookie mistakes when the consequences and cost are so much lower.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL, Scott Tucker has made all his rookie mistakes on national TV. :D

glad no one was filming those first 3 years of SRX7, oh wait, I have incar of EVERYTHING! even the tow truck. ;)

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    I kinda think (tongue in cheek) that just posting on a Ferrari form is a bit self absorbed ;) I mean do all of us need 300-600BHP? No but we want it! and can swing it.

9. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This thread is 10 years old and I have been retired for 10 years. I'm not sure the latest numbers. My guess Challenge is a little more expensive and Club Racing (SCCA/NASA) is only marginally more expensive.

Club Racing expenses really come down to the car you are running and how much support you want. For 9 years I trailered my own car and did most of the work, I could do a complete weekend racing the Ferrari for under $2,000. It helped Hoosier had great contingencies and I always ended up with 2-4 new tires. The last season when I did Challenge Club Racing and shipped car all over the east coast and had a full support team my costs averaged $6-8k a race.

I recently checked out some SCCA arrive and drive companies and Spec Miata or SS you can get a car for $600-800 a day and then your only other expense if you don't break anything is entry fee at $500-700.

gowthamn likes this.
  11. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Does this include insurance ? Or are the "shunts" on you?

12. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Wait .. so SCCA is more expensive than Ferrari Challenge?

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    season of SCCA could be less than $10k total, Ferrari Challenge more like $500k counting depreciation of car.

14. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    #139 gowthamn, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    That much difference? In your post you had said SCCA is marginally more expensive than Challenge.
    Is Ferrari's Corso pilota SCCA accredited?

My plan is to to able to participate in Challenge or SCCA races. And someday buy a XX car. I thought going through Corso Pilota program might be the best. But it looks like it can be MUCHmore expensive than other courses.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no I didn't.

16. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    10k for SCCA and 500k for Ferrari?? Why would anyone race in the challenge series then?

I found this in Wikipedia:
    A brand new 458 Challenge will cost around $300,000 in the US. The only options available on the car is the color and size of the passenger seat. All new 458C's come delivered on rain tyres. Racing in the Ferrari Challenge North America series will cost roughly around $15,000–$20,000 per race weekend if the car is run by a dealer team, which they in most cases are. This includes crew support, a fee to Ferrari North America, transportation and living costs plus additional spares. The fee to FNA is approximately $2,000–$3,000 which gives the competitors fuel and tires. Privateer entries can be run at a slightly smaller cost as there will be no dealer fee included

I am seeing wildly varying cost estimates. Its confusing.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    because they can.

It isn't. If you don't have the capability to understand the various costs of cars, support services, transportation, series fees, and the fact this thread is 10 years old then you are never going to be capable of making it to any grid. Racing is fun, but it takes extensive planning.

lorenzobandini and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I believe Skippy is back in the game. Unbelievable deal. Fly and drive in a spec series at some of the best tracks in the country for around $5,000 a weekend. They used to even offer insurance. Talent is good. You got 15/17 year olds living the dream. Then you have old foxes punting them into the grass.

I’ll just say I found out how good I wasn’t, but it was fun.

Ps Racing works best when your driving some else’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. #144 lorenzobandini, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    'Scuse my ignorance, but, what that be, "Ps Racing"? Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rob, what happened to Mark? Is he still racing?

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don’t think so, I think he’s been retired now coming on 10 years too. Haven’t heard much from him, last I heard focused on his guitar collecting. Sure he still has the Ferraris.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. Did he do the John H series?

24. Aaaaahhh. Image Unavailable, Please Login Gotcha. 'Didn't see it.

(P.S. [Post Script; not part of the sentence so no comma] 'Just an announcement of an afterthought.
    As in your: "P.S. Racing works best when your driving some else’s car. " ;))

P.S. Yeah, having been a proofreader for a publishing company as a youngster, I'm like that;
    'can't help it..... Image Unavailable, Please Login

:)

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    only first race I think, then he did the full Ferrari Challenge Series and won a couple championships I think.