ESPN Ranks Top 25 Drivers of All-Time | Page 3 | FerrariChat

ESPN Ranks Top 25 Drivers of All-Time

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ferraridude615, May 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Do you mean the Oval as in Nascar?? You need your head examined. This thing is not called the best racers of all time, it's called the best DRIVERS. And the best drivers around are found in Rally and F1.

2. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    As far as I'm concerned, a bobsled driver is more skilled than NASCAR "drivers".

Also the video card driver I just downloaded is amazing certainly should make the top 25.

3. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Now you're showing your ignorance.

4. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think he's talking about the Nurburgring....

5. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I thought my post was pretty clear, at least to anyone who knows a bit about F1 history...

6. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Good ;D agree with you there

7. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
  8. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I admit my statement was a bit of an exaggeration but these NASCAR-only guys really just turn left and hit the gas, at least the bobsled driver has to turn the wheel in 2 directions.

9. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    A decent case could be made for Fangio, Moss, or Tazio. However as far as ESPN is concerned these guys are ancient history.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Andretti is number 1 either, he has been dominant in practically everything with wheels.
    If Richard Petty or Dale Earnhardt Sr. is number one, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

10. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had a taxi driver once that could make this stupid list.

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Let's face it, coming from ESPN it will be more of a list of the Top 25 Names in racing. ESPN is a general information sports outlet. Their list will make nobody happy, not even NASCAR fans.

12. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    10. Jeff Gordon
    9. Juan Manuel Fangio
    8. Jim Clark
    7. David Pearson
    6. Richard Petty

13. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    That leaves Senna, Schumacher, Andretti, Earnhardt Sr., and Foyt for top 5.

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I wonder just how many letters they'll get on this one?

Another case of PC gone amuck. Exactly who was on the panel that decided this? If I subscribed to SI I'd cancel on principle!

15. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Did I get named yet?

16. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    They put David Pearson in front of Fangio? That was some powerful shyte they smoked before thinking of that one.

17. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Careful now...That is not necessarily the case. Are you aware of the "Silver Fox's" record as a Nascar driver? He definitely ranks among one of the best of all time. Back to back championships in the famed Talladega with Petty and a slew of other greats breathing down his neck during every race. There's no question that Fangio was great, but his era had very little competition in comparison.

18. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I am aware of his records and do not disagree that he was a great driver, but ahead of Fangio? The man was a 5 time world champion, a record that was only broken a few years ago. Pearson didn't even win that many championships in his chosen form of motorsport. No way I put him ahead of Fangio! Petty? Maybe, Pearson no way.

19. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I feel very honored that ESPN contacted me today for the names for the final placings. I found it most difficult to be in a position to name just one driver for the ultimate first place. Here's how goes and hope you like it:

5. Mika Hakkinen
    4. Alberto Ascari
    3. Tazio Nuvolari
    2. Aryton Senna
    Co-#1. Michael Schumacher and B-Mak.

Congratulations.

Carol

20. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Not to argue, but let me throw a little trivia at you:

The beginning of Fangio's era was post WWII and there was little to no competion in his early years. His first champinship consisted of only 6 races, and his second championship was only 8 races. Additionally, F1 hadn't moved to the Formula II formated cars until 2/3 thru Fangio's career. Additionally, drivers were allowed to pit if they didn't like their car and could switch to another car in the middle of the race. Still a great driver by all accounts.

David Pearson or the Silver Fox as he was also known as, only raced 3 full long a grueling seasons his entire career and he won the championship all 3 times. His duals with Petty were lengendary, but Petty described him as the only man in Nascar that he couldn't conquer. He was one of the few drivers to win Nascar's Career Grand Slam and he ranks second only to Petty in wins and poles. All this with a career that was 10 years shorter than Pettys! He was voted Sports Illustrated's (Not that they are experts) "Driver of the Century".

Both drivers are from different eras and both are great in their own right, but do not short change the Silver Fox. He had no short comings when looking at his career. True his career was short and he retired on his own terms. He had numerous offers to come out of retirement for a lot of dough, but always refused.

21. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    #71 gsjohnson, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
    The Silver Fox's Nascar championship winning Talladega from 1969 was recently restored and has the record for the highest selling pre modern era Stock car. The newest collector car phase is now heading in the direction of the pre modern stock cars...Called the drum brake era Stock Cars. The formation of a historic vintage car class for these cars is currently in its' infancy.

22. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

I know where you're coming from, I actually did know that about Pearson. But if you are judging greatness by accomplishments then Fangio accomplished more. Also Fangio ran against such greats as Farina, Ascari, Moss, Froilan Gonzalez in 1951 for his first championship . None of them were slouches at the wheel by any means. Fangio won his first title by winning 3 out of the 8 races and finishing 2nd in two of the others. He shared a car once out of those times in France. Also he was 40 when he won his first title and won five titles in 8 years, a massive accomplishment. I'd still rate him ahead of Pearson.

23. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    But you stiffed Casey!

24. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    He gets a category all his own. He shouldn't be thrown in with all the riff raff.....;)

25. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Hot damn. I knew it.