ESPN Ranks Top 25 Drivers of All-Time | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ESPN Ranks Top 25 Drivers of All-Time

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ferraridude615, May 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    The ROC doesn't mean squat. If they added an oval race in a full bodied car, then i'd say it's fair, otherwise it's biased towards road racers and rally drivers, just like IROC was biased towards Nascar drivers. The ESPN list is useless, but that's not surprising.

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    You never did see Dale Sr driving the C5R at Daytona at night in the wet did you? The man could just flat out drive. If as a young man he would have wanted to drive in F1 or anything he would have made it.

3. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    15. Al Unser
    14. Cale Yarborough
    13. Jackie Stewart
    12. John Force
    11. Rick Mears

The list has people I've never even heard of in it...

John Force is some drag racing dude. Brave - check, Great reactions - check, top 25 driver of all time - I think not.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Absolutely, you can't even compare drivers of different eras.

5. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    Anyone who can win the Championship 14 times in 15 years in a major racing series deserves to make the list. Force has done that.

6. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

They've overlooked me so far.

7. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You and Casey! Got to be a bogus list.

8. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Am I the only surprised not to see any rally drivers up there??? Walter Rohrl, Hannu Mikkola, Seb Loeb are all worthy.

9. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    No offense but drag racing isn't really racing. All it is is getting a good launch, keep the car straight, not getting wheel spin, and hitting the gas.

Any driver that has been in F1 or even NASCAR is a better driver than any drag racer. A drag racer really just points the car down the straight not much driving involved.

10. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Indeed, Rallying drivers are absolutely amazing and one could confidently say that rally drivers are the best drivers around. F1 is really just memorizing a course, not making a mistake, and repeating 60 times. NASCAR is turning the wheel left and drafting about 200 times. Rallying is on actual roads that drivers have never been on before.

There should be at least two or three in the top 25.

11. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    I have two thoughts about this whole list and the legitimacy thereof:

1. I'm surprised SI has even tried to put together a list of anything having to do with motorsport. Isn't there a baseball game happening somewhere that these guys should be covering. Seriously.

2. Formula 1 drivers have gone from F1 to other series and sometimes with great success. Mario Andretti won an F1 WC, the Indy 500, the Daytona 500 and a handfull of Indy Car titles. Even Scott Speed won a race in whatever series he's racing now. Not very many guys come from other series to make it in F1. So. Senna, Schumacher and Andretti must be in the top three for this list to make any sense to me.

12. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I'm going to be disappointed if they don't put GV on the list. He doesn't have the stats, but certainly is one of the greatest.

13. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Err, it's an ESPN list, not an SI list.

However, this weeks SI does have a pretty good article on Danica - I'm getting to like her more and more given her MS and Senna comment. And, she did clean up well in the swimsuit edition :)

Cheers,
    Ian

14. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I'd say Derik Bell needs to be on that list before John Force. Winning LeMans 5 times should get you something. I'd probably bet Derik racked up more miles in those five races than John Force did in his whole career.

15. Lindsay_Ross

Lindsay_Ross Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    This COULD be called the best 25 RACERS of all time. And some of it would be understandable.

But it's called the 25 greatest DRIVERS. This should SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the number of drivers considered, and the series of motorsports as well.

What did you expect from ESPN though? Retards.

16. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

What! I thought Casey was on the list!

17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I wondered where Danica would be on the list ;)

18. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Any driver that has shown mastery of the 'Ring should immediately be placed on this list, starting with the #1 position! And Stewart is #13?!

19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians

Ron , I totally agree with you about your last sentence, but mentioning that skill requires you stay alive, umm, no. Sometimes it's just luck, pure and simple. It might mean you were skillful but something untoward occurred that even someone with remarkable ability could not avoid. That category would include Jimmy Clark, Stefan Bellof, Henri Toivonen, Bill Vukovich... the list is lengthy unfortunately. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I take comfort mine is supported by scads of reporters who've covered F1 for decades and regard GV as one of the greats and if not, one of their favourites. Obviously, he was one of yours too. However, you mention Pops Turner and then say GV was reckless!!!! Please, .......pot calling kettle time. I don't remember reading how Gilles had to get his friends to rent cars for him because he was blacklisted for submerging them .....or how he drove a Fleetwood sedan through his team's garage door to advise them he was ticked........... or how he routinely enjoyed slapping on the autopilot to take a nap in his Beech after downing a quart of Thunderchicken................You KNOW I can keep going.......

CT is one of my faves. Quite possibly The Greatest politically incorrect driver of all time....perfect fit for an almost Chevelle...

20. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    They haven't got down to the top 5 yet. Be patient, as credible as this list is, you and Casey will be on there guaranteed. ;)

21. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Just read MotorSport, and from that one of the greatest had to be Jim Clark.

22. Rongeurs

Rongeurs Rookie

May 18, 2008
    ESPN IS A JOKE. They shouldn't even try.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm at a loss with Prost, and Stewart not in the top 5 or 6.... I would think the best of all time is either Jim Clark or Possibly Mario Andretti... they both raced all types of cars and won... Andretti won at almost everything except Le Mans... Same for Clark... only guy to will all is Graham Hill... but I would not rate him a great driver... but he should be in the top 25 no question. Problem is people that are doing the poll have not really been big racing fans.

Schumacher and Senna should be in the top 4 as well. For Americans other than Andretti - Gurney should also be way up the list as well as AJ Foyt.. he's a Le Mans winner...Phill Hill,

24. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    How in heck does Tony Stewart make the top 25?

These people are nuts.

25. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #50 jknight, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    Take a look at the 19 voters - hopefully JPM is the nominator for the best (based on FChat thinking) drivers. The voters seem to be predominately ESPN reporters and NASCAR crewchiefs/drivers who most likely don't know the world beyond being large or (in some cases like Bristol) very small ovals. To dispute an earlier comment regarding drag racers, it takes a bit of talent to drive a very expensive nitro machine in excess of 1000 hp in a straight line (TF) and John Force has made history in his career in FC (I sat in one once, definitely not like driving your road car down the road!). You don't just hop in and go when the tree turns green! I think the results are skewed by the number of roundy-round voters. Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Carol