Error 4121 and crazy stuff | FerrariChat

Error 4121 and crazy stuff

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by porphy, Sep 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I have had intermittent (once in a while; many long periods without a problem) CEL's for the last year with shut down of cyl 1-4. Usually an engine shut off and immediate re-start would fix it. Now I have permanent shutdown of 1-4 and so far no activity has changed it. The car is now cold and I should expect the cat overheating signal should be gone and it should fire up properly but that is not the case. I have checked the connections on the crank sensors and cleaned them. Any suggestions? Where are the ECU's for the cats on a Mondial? Any easy way to check for a plugged cat?

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The cat ECUs are in the trunk mounted to the firewall. They are black boxes about 1x2x1inches. The OEM ones have a black silicone face and the upgraded ones are faced in green. I don't know this for sure but I think the car can run well without them. So you could disconnect and see what happens. There is a thread in the 348/355 section that talks about retrofitting a light twin-engine aircraft EGT gage. I have already coughed up the $1200 to replace both ECUs but if I lose another, I will look into driving without them and installing a gage somewhere to monitor the cats.

here is a link from my348.com (my most favorite website)

http://www.my348.com/348.html#SlowDownLights

Dave

3. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks much I'll have a look.

4. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I disconnected both exhaust ECU's and started up but still 1-4 is not firing and there is no CEL. I cleaned the connectors but no improvement. I guess I need to look elsewhere? Can the Crank sensor failure cause this? Is there a crank sensor for each bank since there are two of them. Maybe I should also look at something stupid like the coil,-spark plugs are new. Thanks for any comments.

5. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Am I correct in thinking that the placement of the Exhaust ECU in the Mondial T is much better than the 348 as they are more or less protected from the elements? Or do I not understand the 348?

6. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I have never had slow down lights. Only CEL's. Would you think that if I had real over heating of the cats that I would get a slow down light rather than a CEL?

7. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    No change after switch. 1-4 still dead.
    Checked resistance on MAF's spot on.
    Will look at O2 sensors tomorrow.
    And will try to see if spark is arriving somewhere.

8. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Tricky problem. I did have bank problems where I had lambda and crank sensor errors. I threw $120 at two new walker o2 sensors and $40 at two new KIA (see 348 parts thread)crank sensors and what do you know...fixed it. But you aren't getting these codes...Check Grounds!!!!! the ECUs are grounded to the cam covers...have you checked these?
    Dave

9. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    No. Will do. I have switched the ECU's; no change. I have ordered O2 sensors and I have the KIA crank sensors. I will probably change all of those out as it's all almost 21 years old.
    Thanks much for your help.

Randall

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #10 porphy, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have dismounted and cleaned every connector I could find in the ECU area as well as the Engine. I do not find a ground connection to the cam covers. I have changes the crank sensors and no change. I checked the continuity of the thermocouples and they are not open.
    I have attached a photo of a plug (with the white wire loop); could someone confirm the function of this? Is this the diagnostic plug for the Mondial T?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Find out if you have spark on the effected bank. If not..try to swap the ignition modules (located near the coils...wide flat black connector).

12. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #12 davebdave, Oct 3, 2011
  13. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks much. I feel quite stupid to have overlooked those. Thanks much for the help. I will get on those tonight. Where is the other end; is there another end?

Thanks again for the patience.

14. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I have a reserve new ignition module and will replace it on the 1-4 side to see what happens. If I understand correctly, the 4121 error shuts down the fuel pump on that side. Does it also shut off the spark?

15. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Also check the relays that control your ECU and fuel pump for that bank. Swap the ones for the 5-8 and 1-4 banks and see if the non-functional bank switches sides.

16. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I have found a white greasy paste on the back side of the ignition module. Is this anticorrosion treatment? Is it original? These look like the original pieces? I thought this interface was for contact with what looks like a heat sink. Any kind of anti-corrosion paste might insulate heat transfer and not do its job? Kind regards.

17. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    OK thanks very much. Tomorrow. Kind regards.

18. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    All grounds have been cleaned and treated. Unfortunately, I cannot find my reserve ignition module and have had to order again! crazy! In any case the work is on hold until the O2 sensors and ignitors arrive. Thanks again.

19. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Are you referring to the relays next to the ECU's in the trunk? Which one is the fuel pump relay or where is it found? I assume these are for the MOTRONIC 2.7 ecu's. Thanks.

20. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #20 3forty8, Oct 9, 2011
    Yes, 2.7, and no, not the trunk - at least on the 348 these are the relays in the passanger footwell panel. I'm not sure if these are in the same location on your Mondial T, but here is the schematic from the 348; the relays in question (on the right-hand side of the diagram):

C - "Control relay for actuation of fuel pump cylinders" (Fuel pump relay for 5-8 bank);
    D - "Control relay for actuation of injection nozzles" (ECU relay for 5-8 bank);
    L - Same as D, for 1-4 bank;
    N - Same as C, for 1-4 bank.

The Bosch part # for all the relays mentioned above is 0332014140 (I believe it has an upgraded part # but can't recall what it is). The relays can be cross referenced at Napa and are around $8/each. Simply swap C with N and D with L and see if your problem switches banks.

Edit: Updated the diagram to mark relays.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I have not checked on either footwell in my Mondial T . I guess tomorrow morning we will discover what's under the carpets. Thanks again.

22. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #22 3forty8, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
    Good luck! If you don't already have a copy of the Mondial T work shop manual, here it is online (second link from the bottom):

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Workshop.htm

Edit: The relays/fuses/diagrams are listed on pages L17, L18 and L19 in the Mondial T WSM. They don't mention the location of relays to control the fuel pumps, ECUs, etc. There must be another panel not referenced in the WSM (or missing from the online copy). Can another Mondial T owner shed some light on where they are located to help Randall out here?

23. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    The location of the fuel pump relays are shown on page C3. They are located next to the Exhaust ECU's and next to the Motronic ECU's. I have checked the fuses and they are ok. I will switch sides and see what happens. Thanks again for the outstanding support.

24. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Glad they are in there - I obviously didn't go through all 652 pages, lol! :D

25. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    New crank sensors, new O2 sensors, new ignition module for the 1-4 bank. Nothing. Fuel pump and injector relays to be replaced on monday. I am now thinking coil? It was replaced recently. I would be surprised but it wouldn't be the first time. I always think the problem is more complicated than it turns out to be.