Erling head gasket sealant? | FerrariChat

Erling head gasket sealant?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raemin, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    This was discussed before, OEM gaskets are not perfect, but I already have these. Any sealant you would recommend for these gaskets?

(this damn flipped flywheel brought me back to square one...)

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
  3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Given the numerous issues I've faced so far with this rebuild, I'll not take a chance and will use Victor Reinz gaskets.

I may give Sangalli Guarnizioni a try for the cam-cover gaskets: they do not list any price, but they are not so far from me. Will give them a call.

4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hello Raemin,

after severall recommendations from people on fchat and tom yang I used gaskets from Murray Glegg for my 250 rebuild. The 250 community had lots of trouble with Elring gaskets. Murrays gaskets work perfectly. He also does 400 gaskets. [email protected]
    More expensive but really good.
    If you do not want to go this way Victor Reinz is better then Elring. Elring gaskets on the 250 do not have enough „crushness“ to seal around waterways. I first used Elring and when I pressure tested sealing after installing heads I found small leaks. No leaks at all with Murrays gaskets.
    Hope this helps.

BR
    Christopher

raemin and Al Campbell like this.
  5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Thanks Ken for the tip!

The cam-cover gaskets were on back-order at Superformance. I though I would give Sangalli Guarnizioni a chance. As I am based in France and the factory (http://www.sangalliguarnizioni.com/) is on the other side of the border I just dropped them an e-mail directly. Got an answer from Stefano Sangalli on the following day. That's an old-school business: no online ordering, money transfer only, but sweet deal with unbeatable shipping costs.

Will report once I've received the product, but so far I am more than with the customer care of this new supplier.

wrxmike likes this.
  6. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    [QUOTE="raemin,

Will report once I've received the product, but so far I am more than with the customer care of this new supplier.[/QUOTE]

Did you get yours yet? Just wondering if it comes with all the O-rings as well, and front and rear main seals?? I assume not, but would be nice to confirm before I put in my order for the kit, plus other parts I want from Maranello, Superformance, and GT Carparts. I too got in touch with them, excellent price for the gasket set and DHL from Italy to Australia.

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Not received yet (my fault: took me a week to send the payment). The kit does include the round shaped gaskets. I did not order the O-rings, as I've got these. No idea if they can provide them.

When ordering with SF, you'd better check with their stock status first: whatever is made from Hill Engineering is always in stock. What they source from suppliers is another storry. They told me the gaskets were out of stock after shipping the (incomplete) order...

8. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Good to know, thanks for that. I don’t need too much from SF, so hopefully what I do want is available. Mostly I wasn’t sure if I should get the o rings from Maranello or not. They’re not expensive, so if I end up with 2 lots I won’t mind spares

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat