Enzo Problem - Help pls | FerrariChat

Enzo Problem - Help pls

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by icemanbops, Jan 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. icemanbops

icemanbops Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    Hi Guys

Enzo needed a new clutch and flywheel, so it was sent into Joe Macari, London UK. Very good service, the couldn't find an Enzo clutch in Europe so were able to substitute a MC12 clutch and flywheel (exactly the same part) for half the price. Great!

However after the car went out to have the geometry checked, on the way back a fault developed with the nose lifting mechanism. They said it was the motor and this was a colossal £8,000 or $16,000. Crazy!! They looked at all the alternatives and after hooking up an F50 motor via a loom, it was what we feared most.

It was suggested that I have the motor rewound as it was not seized and this was done over Christmas, now we have a electrical problem in as far as one of the the switches on the board that controls the motor is not functioning. Its not a Ferrari part, thus they are asking RS components if they can find an alternative.

Any experiences of this part or parts of this part going wrong, any suggestions. Any help appreciated.

Regards Guys

Mike

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mike, sorry to hear of your troubles. I thought the nose motor issue would've been fixed in every Enzo by now. Jim Glickenhaus might have an answer for you; you might want to PM him.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    $16K for an electric motor?? Get f*cked!! :eek::eek:

4. Smurf

Smurf Formula 3

sorry to hear about your problems...

pure curiosity may i ask how many miles did the clutch lasted?

thanks

5. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You didnt buy the extended warranty - took it up to 6 years, 60,000 miles? Only $200K :)

I'm really sorry to hear you are having issues..

6. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sorry to hear of your troubles! Isn't Ferrari required to supply parts for vehicles up to 10 years old?

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You are speaking about the motor right? (I mean the motor is the part made by Sarma and bought by SKF)???

Did you remember to keep your old failed parts? There are companies out there that will repair electronics parts for a fixed fee. They usually do it based on the cost of a new part, but if they thought it was just an appliance motor, you may find the cost more reasonable - like hundreds instead of thousands.

Alternatively I wouldn't mind having one of my electronics guys take a look at it at no charge - if you have the part and you have patience and wouldn't mind if the answer was "sorry its not an easy fix". I'm guessing that there would be some power components on the circuit board to control the motor. When the motor bottoms out the current draw goes through the roof. I bet there are FET's or perhaps some other power components that control the motor... they cannot take stall current or else they pop. There are part numbers on all these components and they are trivial to test, so if it's a blown component then it can probably be fixed very cheaply.

Hope it helps

8. BRUCE400I

BRUCE400I Rookie

Jun 18, 2005
    My brother WAS a motor rewinder. Look in Yell.com and type in motor rewinder.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    PM sent.

10. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I too, had the front lift motors go out causing the car to go into slow down mode, also causing a rear difuser lock out...issue fixed thanks to Jim!! So thank you Jim! (This was on my red one last year, not Premier's current offering)

Next streeing rack...

11. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    This seems to be a common problem? So it is a switch that causes the motor to break? Can I fix this switch before it happens to me?

Regards
    Michael J

12. gothemi8

gothemi8 Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    So Cal/Central NY
    Full Name:
    Alex
    this might be off-topic but I've been wondering how the lift works on the enzo. Is it basically an actuator pushing down on a control arm or something. Sorry if thats completely wrong. If anyone would be willing to explain how it works I'd appreciate it since I've been wondering for a couple weeks now.

Thanks
    Alex

13. EnJi

EnJi Karting

Dec 12, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Well, make it Predje
    #13 EnJi, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Alex, here you have a photo of an all black MC12 Corsa being prepared for road use. The first is without the actuator and the second with them installed. So now he can 'safely' ride some German streets.
    As far as i understand it you can with the flick of a (weak/faulthy???) switch let an electrical motor mechanically push 2 rods out. This is pushing the wheels down and therefor the car up.

Pics are from this site. http://www.zanforlini.de/5.html. The guy has been having a very interesting job!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    interesting...

is this failure related to total cycles, or long periods of non-use??

15. gothemi8

gothemi8 Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    So Cal/Central NY
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Enji,

Thank you soo much for your insight thats exactly how i thought they would work. So then what the actuator is attached to is the springs and struts of the car? If so those are some tiny springs.

Alex

16. icemanbops

icemanbops Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    Hi Guys

he problem is with Ferrari now. they are looking into it to see if they can do it under a good will gesture. Have taken this route after sound advice and to be honest, I think it is a liberty to pay so much for the said part.

Andrew and Joe (Macari) have been very helpful, they were not able to match the tiny switch via RS Components as a like for like so have now taken the board out to see if we can create a fix.

Hopefully Ferrari will do the honorable thing.

Regards

Mike

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mike, good luck and keep us posted.

18. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Fingers crossed Mike, how do you enjoy the car anyway?

Regards

Matthew

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Here's a company who will custom make one for you exactly as you wish:

http://www.ultramotion.com/

Ultra Motion
    Ultra Motion is a privately held company that was founded in 1994. We manufacture linear actuators and provide related motion control components. Our linear actuators are used in a wide range of technical industries from aerospace to factory automation. Ultra Motion linear actuators have been used in outer space, and at the deepest parts of the earth's oceans. Leading universities, government agencies, and companies of every type use Ultra Motion linear actuators.

22. icemanbops

icemanbops Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    Hi Guys

Firstly thanks to NAPOLIS (PM sent) for the time he has taken out to help in this matter and I commend you on your knowledge in this sphere.

Ferrari UK have knocked back the good will gesture. Obviously buying:

3 x F599's (2 x swiss, 1 x UK)
    1 x Gran Turismo

deposits on:

2 x F430 Scud's
    2 x F149

in 2007 alone is not quite up to the mark. Maybe the Enzo purchased out of the USA got up their nose. I am quite sure had I pursued this via Ferrari Switzerland the outcome would have been quite different.

In any case I have spoken to Buggatti who have confirmed my May delivery and have offered me a car in addition which will be a short run (targa/convertible) for 2008. As a gesture they actually offered me a factory car for delivery straight away with 2000kms (under list), they say i can run it to 6000kms and they will put new rubber on it fix any marks on the leather with an option of a total refit if there are any signs of wear and tear and they will repaint the car in my choice of colour (black/black at the moment). They will also do a virtual rebuild of the engine and gearbox and reissue the warranty as of that day. NOW thats what I call service, they were most amused by FERRARI's stance.

Regards

Mike

23. dwi shofwan khilmi

Feb 4, 2021
    Indonesia
    Full Name:
    dwi shofwan khilmi
    Hi guys, i need problem system lifting ferrari enzo. What caused it?