Enzo article of interest to Maranello owners | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Enzo article of interest to Maranello owners

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bluebottle, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #51 DZ-96, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Hi all

1st, excuse my bad English grammer.

It's logical
    - that a 550 owner defends the 550
    - and a 575 owner defends the 575
    - a xxx owner ....

So it's logical that some think the 550 is better, and others think the 575 ist better.
    But what means "better" ?

Is F1 better than manual shift ?
    Is F1 series 3 better than series 2 ?
    Are carbon ceramic brakes better than steel brakes ?
    Is a drive by wire system better than a manual throttle cable ?
    Often the weak points from the older model gets canceled at the newer model, so this should be better, but sometimes the new model got cheaper components because of cost reduction, is this better ?

All these details are individual from the point of view and the viewer (perhaps the 2nd not).
    CC brakes are better on track, steel brakes are better in costs and eventually in normal use.
    F1 shifts more accurate than manual, but as driver you have less control as a manual shifter.
    Manual shifting can give more satisfaction for the driver, for others F1 gives more satisfaction.

It would be poor, that a newer model isn't a technical advancement.
    Sometimes, the advancement of a new model is larger, sometimes it's smaller.
    The advancement of the 1st 575 to the 550 was smaller when you look at the Fiorano track times or Nürburgring track times from the German magazine Supertest "Sport Auto" (without the Handling pack, the 575 was slower than the 550), perhaps the advancement was larger in other details.
    Sometimes they mean they have advancements, but they do not exist.

In some points, the 575 is the better car, in other points the 550 is better.
    I think, the 550 and the 575 are both beautiful cars, everyone of us should respect both, each of them has good sides and bad sides.

My 599 GTB is the better car than my 550, this should be clear.
    But if I had to decide to hold one, I would hold the 550, it's the "better" car for me.

Daniel

Is the Jag E-Type series 2 better than series 1 ? - I would choose the series 1
    Is the Maserati Ghibli (from the nineties) Series 3 better the series 1+2 ? - I would choose series 3
    Is the 275 GTB long nose better than the short nose ? - I would choose the short nose

Themaven, BarryK, Il Tifoso and 3 others like this.
  2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Interesting article but curious about the title: Which is the best modern classic Ferrari?

As you are comparing just the 550 and 575, do you mean "Which is the better modern classic Ferrari?" or are you really saying they are better than all the others of that era (e.g. 355s) as well?

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Better is obviously subjective, a 275 GTB is obviously a "better" investment than a 550/575 but its not a better car just like the 575 isn't better than the 599 which isn't better than the F12 which isn't better than the 812. I meant "better" as a car. Every Ferrari is obviously an improvement on previous generations and the 575 was indeed an improvement on the 550 in every way. Yes there are many happy 550 owners here, and they should be its an amazing car, one of maranellos best ever but its simply not true that its "better" than a 575 bc comparable 575's with sticks command a 200-300% premium. The F1 575 is still technically a "better" car than the 550 maranello but obviously in terms of investment the 550 is the "better" car bc for now sticks are valued higher than early F1 systems, but as a car, the 575 is "better". It has upgrades across the board, there is nothing on the 550 thats "better" than it is in the 575 from the engine to the dash to the brakes, they're all improved. The only thing on the 550 that I can think of that's better than it is on the 575 is the crafstmanship of the stitching on the rear shelves, the quilting looks much better on some of the 550's than the 575 thats about it. Both are spectacular cars, any of us who own either one are lucky to have either.

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    IMO the Maranello is the best Ferrari since the 365 GTB/4, no exceptions, so I think the basis of Darius' article is sound.

Your post is very thoughtful and well-considered, Daniel, and your grammar is excellent. Much of what is posted about the relative merits of the 550 vs. the 575 is in any event purely partisan banter: most of us would say that "our" model is best as a reflex action, but we probably don't really think there is much in it if we are honest. Darious is fortunate enough to be unbiased (at least as to the two manual cars) - it's just his judgement that is faulty.;)

The model you choose probably depends on:
    1. Whether you prefer manual or auto - if the latter, it's the 575, no option.
    2. How important the price is to you - while the price of a 575F1 is not far different from a 550, if you've got money to burn, or you really value the marginal increase in performance over what is already a very fast car, or maybe if you are an investor, you might choose the 575 manual over the 550.
    but basically they are all damn fine motor cars and, if I am honest, I would be very happy with whichever I owned, but, as I am biased, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the 550 is vastly superior to the 575!:D:D

As to the other cars you mention, I am with you on the E-type, having owned two Series 1s (3.8 and 4.2), and if I had to choose between them, then with my heart it would be the 3.8 (the one I own now), and with my head it would be the 4.2 (which I owned for 14 years). Having said that, the Series 2 is probably an even more sensible choice in practical terms, but it doesn't look right IMO.

As to the Maserati, I would definitely go with the first series ('67 to '73) Ghibli over the later cars, but for now I'll have to make do with my Granturismo.

I doubt that I should ever be in a position to choose which 275 to buy, so I'll have to pass on that.:(

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    On second thoughts, I should have said "IMO the Maranello is the best Ferrari since the Dino, no exceptions, so . . . "

Not that I am in any way biased, you understand.;)

BarryK likes this.
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    BarryK and intrepidcva11 like this.
  7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    ......focused largely on handling, corrected by the intro of FHP, n'est-ce pas?

8. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Bluebottle likes this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    So I understand.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not even close. Solved by getting rid of shock ECU 183960 for non-FHP 575Ms. Eventually the addition of a steering position sensor helped, too, in Nov 2003. Too complicated to make a general statement. Only the UK press complained.

11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Actually, (I have to be careful saying this in certain circles) I LOVE my 348 and appreciate it’s “go kartiness”, but I absolutely agree. I feel like the Maranellos are a stylistic high point possibly never to be eclipsed. They are also incredibly useable, which I do appreciate. I know my wife does as well :) The F40 seats in the 348 are NOT her jam...