Engine Noise | FerrariChat

Engine Noise

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DocBasilone, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Hey guys new to Mondial T ownership. I bought 1990 T Cab in March poi was good less ac small electronic issues. Major done 1yr ago. I notice very noisy engine at higher RPM. Reminds me of old VW engines. There is a tap as well that stops with idle. Any suggestions as to where I should start with the work up. Just don’t want to walk into repair shop blind and need to tear down engine. Thanks fir any input

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    DocBasilone likes this.
  3. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    This vehicle had a major last apr but wasnt driven after Im wondering if they didnt set thevalve lash correctly since most of the noise is coming from above
    (I Think) Although the louder exaust sounds good too. :)

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Put a compression test on the engine before you start taking it to bits

DocBasilone likes this.
  5. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    My 1990 Mondial t had a tapping sound after a major engine-out a year ago. The shop did a valve adjustment before I took it home and they silenced the tapping.
    I have as not had any unusual engine noises since.

DocBasilone likes this.
  6. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Is that an engine out job? Can they get to the top? Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    The engine was back in (after the major engine-out) when the tapping was heard. The valves were adjusted with the engine in. Yes, from the top.

DocBasilone likes this.
  8. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    20 Mill lane Braintree MA 02184
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    Seriously i cant resist to comment on this, where are you guys having this cars serviced ?? valve train noise after a major service unbelievable makes me wondering hows working on this cars.

ronfrohock likes this.
  9. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    OK, ok. Just in case: My ‘83 QV Cab began a serious tapping noise a few years ago. Sounded metallic and drove me nuts! Found a thread here somewhere and talked to Dave Helms about it. Unbelievably, one of the very accessible belts was snapping due to temperature or prolonged sitting. It was easily fixed. If you didn’t know this - now you do! SG

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DocBasilone and ronfrohock like this.
  10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Yes, it’s a terrifying sound. Like a clap of lightning over and over until the belt stops making the noise.
    To diagnose, you can spray a small amount of belt dressing on the Accessory belt and start the car. If the noise stops, you know the problem.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DocBasilone likes this.
  11. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I had the same dreaded belt noise. Sounded like gravel in a blender. Easy to fix.

12. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Reviving this conversation as my car is now doing the same thing. Cold winter weather start after sitting for a couple of weeks. Getting the "ominous" metallic tapping sound. Definitely seems to be in the area of the belts, but no idea which one. After the car idles for 3-5 minutes, the sound goes away. The car drives fine with no other weird noises. My car had belts adjusted back in December and I've driven it sparingly since.

What is the recommended type of adjustment or treatment for the belt(s)? I'm not mechanically inclined but sense this may be a DIY project I can handle.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #13 Steve Magnusson, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    If nothing seems obviously wrong visually, I'd start with applying some spray V-belt dressing to the V-belts and see how long it keeps the cold-start-up noise away (you should be able to do this without needing to disassemble anything by spraying into a pulley-belt tangency location at idle). You can't use a V-belt dressing daily/weekly, but applying it every 3~6 months would be no sin IMO.

djs308 likes this.
  14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Great advice Steve as always.
    I had the same problem. It turned out to be the AC belt. I had it replaced and it’s been fine since.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Horrible stuff belt dressing, banned where i used to work.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Mar 6, 2021
    Good for you :rolleyes: -- I'm sure you worked on many engines that used plastic V-belts on a badly-designed, way-too-low-wrap-angle idler pulley, large V-angle pulley belt paths. Bless your heart...

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Encourages bad engineering, some at work saw it as a way to avoid the job of changing the belts. Mind you these were a lot bigger on industrial units.

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #18 Steve Magnusson, Mar 6, 2021
    And completely different in design -- using belt dressing to solve a problem on a rubber V-belt with a 6 deg pulley groove angle with a well-designed belt path is probably a bad idea just masking a real problem (as a 6 deg angle V-belt virtually self-locks into the pulley and never slips or moves vertically relative to the pulley). A plastic V-belt with a 60-deg pulley groove on the poorly-designed 308/Mondial AC belt path is a completely different animal (more like a flat belt). But feel free to keep applying your unrelated experience to every other different belt design.

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Being retired i dont need to- its great letting others have the hassle these days

20. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I've had my accessory belts all changed within the last 3 years. Is there a recommended changing interval based on time/mileage for those?

21. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The belts should be checked for tension after the first year from change, they will have loosened up a bit. Most would change at the time of a timing belt service, usually every 5 years would be a typical interval for that. The ac belt does have that plastic spine inside, and can crackle and tick especially at cold start after only a year or two. Proper tensioning the belt would help solve for this.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app