Engine cut off oddness - Any ideas chaps? | FerrariChat

Engine cut off oddness - Any ideas chaps?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by oofazi, Jul 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oofazi

oofazi Karting

Apr 13, 2013
    Salisbury UK
    Hi Chaps,

Due to the utterly stunning weather here in the UK this weekend, I prepped the 400 and got her out of the garage firing on all cylinders this time, not just right bank and let it warm up slowly as per due care and attention.....

Once warmed up for 15 mins or so, me and the missus set off to the fuel station and put in 40 litres or so of high octane fuel, unleaded and placed the lead replacing fluid in.

No problem.....

On the open road however, with all dials in the correct arena to not allude any alarms, at approx 5500rpm revs the engine would die, the engine will cut out.... I knocked it to neutral and after free-wheeling for what seemed like a 200m or so, and not pumping the throttle, the engine would settle at idle, just under 1000rpm perfectly, and perfectly able to rev gently onwards..BUT... only up to around the 5500rpm figure....

..... at home outside the garage, under no load at all, the engine will rev freely up to approx 6500 - 7000rpm no problem at all....it just seems like it is hesitant when under load.... with much bang pop, back firing, etc anywhere near the 5600rpm mark when on the open road...

With the intimate feel of the car, you can almost feel when you are pushing too close to the limit it will cut out, so backing out can sometime meter out the free-wheeling aspect. To much embarrassment after just over taking a vehicle for instance...

Any ideas on this one gents?

Thanks

David

2. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    David, I'm not sure about the problem but you don't need lead replacement additive as these engines have hardened valve seats as standard. Have you used this additive in the car before today ?

Which fuel did you use ? I've been advised by a ferrari engine builder that either Shell V-Power or Tesco "whatever it's called" are preferable.

It is hot today - is the engine running hot or at normal temp of 90 degrees approx ?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    With that symptom, the first suspect to rule in, or out, is the mechanical advance mechanism in the distributor -- has it been serviced/checked within the last decade or so?

JMO -- Good Hunting!

4. oofazi

oofazi Karting

Apr 13, 2013
    Salisbury UK
    #4 oofazi, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    RT,

Roger, I was not aware of this but in the two times I have driven the car, and subsequently put fuel in it, I have dropped a dribble in, about 20ml, if that. My TR6 uses it and to err on the side of caution, thought I ought to...

That, and the fact that the previous owner had a bottle of it in the car when I bought it......and I have a fiull 11 bottles of the stuff just for the TR6 alone!!

Steve,

mech adv system in the dizzy will have been rebuilt along with the dizzy approx 5 years ago.....possibly, if not....I will need to investigate....

Temp was perfect registering less than 90 on the guage and no engagement of fans at that point till I got home to get the garage door open!

Do you both think that its the additive that could be the problem here?

Odd that under load the engine futs and baulks at 5500 ish....but no load, no probelm at all?

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz Bloody car....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    David, I believe that the Dinoplex has a rev limiter. Is it possible that the rev limiter is failing?

Tony

6. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    I'm certainly not an expert on V-12 Ferrari motors, but generally load just implies that you're using more air and gasoline. For the engine to be cutting out, one of these ingredients must be missing in pretty significant fashion.

7. Radiation

Radiation Karting

Mar 5, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I would have to agree. I'm not sure the service procedure on a V12 Ferrari, but I would check the carburetors for function and fuel delivery, however that is done.

Years ago, I had a Wankel Rotary powered car with a similar symptom. The 4 Barrel Carburetor was not delivering adequate fuel from a gummed up jet in the secondaries. The power would taper off around half way through the rev band.

8. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I doubt that the additive is the cause of the problem, just thought it best to tell you that it wasn't required.

That said, different brands of additive have different chemical formulation and these shouldn't be mixed - was the additive you used on both fill ups the one that came with the car or the one you use in your TR (or are they both the same brand and variant ?)

And about the "bloody car" comment - my friend get used to it cos its a Ferrari !

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If it's a "water-removing" additive (i.e., with methanol), I've heard that can be trouble for CIS fuel distributors -- what general "type" additive is it?

10. oofazi

oofazi Karting

Apr 13, 2013
    Salisbury UK
    Oh right ok, this one is a injection model, so no carbs at all.....would be better I suppose if it had..then again, there is the issue with balancing etc......

At least it runs when free wheeling to tickover, then apply power and move on....

Thank you.

David

11. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    So, this car is Bosch K-Jet injected, not carbureted, but I would tend to agree that fuel delivery may be a culprit. The distributor is basically a control plunger and it rarely malfunctions "partially" the way this one is. The sensor plates associated with the plungers under the intake boot may be gummed up, a quick carb cleaner burst used to work on my old BMW. Similarly, the injectors themselves may be obstructed. They must be removed to be cleaned. The fuel filter(s?) also accumulate debris and can choke an engine out. Ultimately, a check of the fuel pump itself may be necessary.

If the symptom was occurring when cold I would also suspect the WUR filter, but the OP stated clearly that he warmed for 15 minutes prior to driving.

12. oofazi

oofazi Karting

Apr 13, 2013
    Salisbury UK
    Hi Steve,

I believe the one supplied with the car was a bottle of Wynn's, and the stuff I have we can get here readily which I bought a case of, the bottle is the same however, with the dose squeeze part at the top and both fluids are a light pink in colour....

I am 300 miles from the car now so I can only get my good lady to ferret about on the shelf in the garage and text it to me......

Unlikely that it is this which is causing the issue though I suppose as it has no affected the relative rev range up to the 5500 region... (under no load no issue at all.......revs freely....)

Also, is it common that the gearbox, (auto in my case) gets into top relatively quickly and feels like they could have pushed in another gear, as the revs are high ish when doing normal cruising speeds, 70-80mph......

Other than that, its bloody great and everyone, stops to look at it...(as I lay another coat of Mer and Meguir's on the paintwork........)...

Big 'ole tanks, arent they....

Thanks for any advice....

David

13. geffen365gtc/4

geffen365gtc/4 Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    My guess would be a clogged fuel filter. It lets some but not enough fuel pass. Just my .02

Geffen

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You'd have to be more specific -- Wynns makes a product called "Dry Fuel" that I'd be leery of using, but some of the other "injector cleaner" types are probably OKish.

Can you be a little more specific about your trouble:

Was the car running perfectly, and, all of a sudden, this problem appeared?

or

It's never been quite right during your (brief?) Ownership?

15. Radiation

Radiation Karting

Mar 5, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I didn't realize this was an injected engine. Might there be a troubleshooting tree in the service manual for such a problem?

16. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    This is the curse of the 3-speed auto box of the day. I know exactly what you mean BUT the car is such a pleasure to drive with the auto box I enjoy it for what it was designed to be - a gentlemans express. Totally different driving experience to a manual and one that I accept as part of the cars character.

Agreed

Are we talking the car in general or fuel capacity ?

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    fwiw, i'm going with Digiplex or coil...with the hesitation prior to cut off possibly pointing to distributor.
    but, obviously, it has to be something that is causing you to lose the whole motor...the car has two fuel distributors, but only one dizzy, one coil, one Digi...good luck.

18. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I've had a similar problem and it was fuel starvation- Rebuilt fuel distributors and all better.

I've always found the hard stumble under acceleration to be fuel rather than spark or timing.

19. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Jay, this reminds me that I need to head out your way for a drive. My car isnt pulling well at high rpm and I want to compare it side-by side to a sorted 5spd.

20. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yeah anytime- Both cars are running great!

21. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    As Santos first mentioned, too little fuel or air flow. Several mentioned fuel filter since it is very likely but clogged air filters will give similar result. 80/20 for the fuel filters.
    Ken

22. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    I wouldn't mess with the mixture control screw on the distributor before checking all other possibilities, but it could be as simple as running lean at WOT, which a 1/4-1/2 turn on the 3mm(?) hex screw could remedy.

Once again, would NOT try messing with FD settings before determining that you have no other disruptions in fuel and air. Best bet before changing the FD settings is to actually tap a pressure gauge into the line and check your system pressure under different load conditions.

23. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    hey Jay,

then why the backfires at the same specific moment/rpm ?

so he's got fine fuel delivery up to that specific moment and then the independent fuel delivery on both sides of the motor do exactly the same thing ?

I think the backfires are caused by the fact that ignition is no longer occurring at the right time...

I like what Oldcoin had to say, with the exception that the rev limiter in the Dinolex would not know whether it was under load or not...it's just an rpm based signal/trigger.

again, good luck...keep us posted !

24. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- Didn't someone once say that 90% of all carb/injection problems are ignition-related? ;)

I wish the OP would answer whether it ever worked right, or not -- if it hasn't, another thing that could cause this specific symptom would be the dist rotor position relative to the cap/housing not being set correctly (the width of the 400i dist rotor is not generous).

25. JPinna

JPinna Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Pinna
    Have you checked the petrol pump relays yet ?

Jerry