Engine cover release switch inoperative | FerrariChat

Engine cover release switch inoperative

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rjp80s, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    The engine cover release switch on my 84 QV has decided to stop working. The manual release works fine. The trunk and hood release switches work fine. Any ideas as to what would be causing this?

Help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. John Hasty

John Hasty Rookie

Jul 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    John H. Hasty
  3. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    If that fuse is broken the headlight motors and the fuel lid won't work as well.

Qavion likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The electric release is on the left side behind the fuel filler if i remember correctly, check to see You are getting a signal when release is pressed. I think the manual release is attached to it.
    Diagram on eurospares uk site, mondial 84, plate 108, item 26. Used one available @£190

5. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    similar to the glovebox switch.......lack of use allows corrosion on the contactors. Sit in the drivers seat and push the button 200+ times. This will exercise the contact and loosen up deposits, corrosion etc. Dont worry you cant hurt it now. Its not even working. Just sit there and push the button, push the button, push the button

djs308 likes this.
  6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    If you cannot find the cause and you tried the options above you can swap the solenoids of the trunk and the engine lid to see if the solenoid itself is affected (if you get a pulls on the wire feeding it.

7. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko

Thanks so much! I checked the fuse and it’s good. I powered the solenoid directly from the battery and it worked fine. Does the push button supply power to the solenoid directly, or does it power a relay to power the release solenoid?? How does one remove the push button on the instrument panel to check it / replace it? Off to push the button 200 times now :)

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  9. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    Thanks much. How do I pull it out?

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Use a slim flat blade to push in on the plastic tab on on both ends of the switch and carefully lift the switch out.
    The goal is to spray detox it into the opening at the back of the switch and then cycle the switch a bunch of times.
    I would also disconnect the battery before doing this and would not connect if for an hour or so after you are done.
    This worked well for me.
    Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MvT likes this.
  11. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    The detox spray I use is a product called DeoxIT D5, D-series. The shop guy (car restorer) turned me on to it last year. Works well on switches and electrical pin connections. Directions on the can are easy to follow and work great when you follow them.

12. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    Thanks so much Ron, I’ll try that today.

13. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I am looking in the wiring diagram....looks like relays are only used in high voltage situations> I think the switch is wired directly to the solenoid

14. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    The wiring diagram fig 4 shows that (27) Solenoid front bonnet opening is controlled directly by (36) switch front bonnet.......and (157) Solenoid engine bonnet opening is controlled directly by (38) switch engine bonnet. Electricity comes from Fuse 1 (not a relay) for engine compartment and fuse 16 for front bonnet. No relay / my wiring diagram is for a Mondial 3.2

15. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    Thanks all for your help. It turns out the switch is ‘pining for the fjords’ ... completely dead. Now to search for a replacement

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Should be a fairly simple design. Try cleaning the contact points with sandpaper.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    As my previous post, used one available at eurospares for £190

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn