Engine control system failure light | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Engine control system failure light

Discussion in '612/599' started by RegW, Apr 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The 599 has the OBD in the same spot. My scanner has a cable so the scanner sits in the floorboard. The cable plugs into the 599 just fine but I never paid attention to the gray part so can't say for sure if it is there on the 599 or not.

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I did not have this problem on my '08. Are you sure the plug is correct for Ferrari?

3. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    Update on my progress from when I started this thread: the budget OBD worked as planned: it reported 2 error codes that didn't make much sense (cyl 5 and 6 apparently misfiring, whilst the engine runs as smooth as usual) - I erased them with the OBD reader and went for a 10 min drive at various speeds - and no system failure warnings went off anymore! I hope I managed to avoid the hassle of dropping the car off at a garage etc...once again FChat is proving to be an invaluable community - thanks to all who contributed. I advise every 612 owner to buy an OBD reader which will come in handy for a quick diagnosis during a road trip.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    @RegW - would you be so kind and let me know what scanner you have bought? If it was a bluetooth or wifi one, were you able to leave it plugged and replace the leather cover? Thank you.

5. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
  6. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    Thank you RegW - my application is to have it connected while driving, so I am thinking of buying a Bluetooth enabled OBD2 reader to set up monitoring and recording, hopefully while having the cover back in place. I will try and remember to update the thread for the benefit of others after I receive this product: iCarsoft i620 Bluetooth.

7. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    The iCarSoft i620 Bluetooth works just fine plugged in and the cover replaced.

8. Beijing599

Beijing599 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    YE Yang
    can anyone confirm this? by disconnect the barttery to resetting the CEL on a 599?

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The error codes are held on the EEPROM, which is a persistent memory with the power off. Switching off the power for a period of time may push the codes from active to missed/stored. In Me7, the ecu automatically clears the codes itself if the fault doesn't reoccur after something like 40 driving cycles.

A generic code reader is so cheap that there's really no excuse for everyone not to have one.