355 - Engine and gearbox mount deflection | FerrariChat

355 Engine and gearbox mount deflection

Discussion in '348/355' started by spaghetti_jet, Mar 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hi all, have searched but no joy...

I'm in the middle of my major service and am considering changing the engine and gearbox mounts due to age.

On visual inspection mine are in great shape. No visible cracks, tears, detachment or damage. However, I'm not sure what "good" feels like when I deflect them with a pry-bar. All mounts are all different in terms of stiffness and I am trying to gauge if mine are OK without a point of reference how they would feel when new.

When I lever on them I get about 8-10mm of deflection. They seem reasonably pliable, if anything, slightly softer than I would have expected.

Can anybody describe how much deflection I should expect? Are these mounts "rock hard", "stiff", "soft" or "very soft" when new?

Thanks a lot.

Bob.

2. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    That sounds like too much deflection to me but it probably depends on how much force you are putting into them while deflecting them. I just replaced mine and the rubber looked fine in the old ones until I took a good look at the lower buffer washer that is bolted directly under the mount. There should be only the slightest gap between that washer and the body of the mount. As the mounts sag that gap widens and when I removed the mount center bolt and washer the sag was very obvious when looking at the base of the mount. With the bolt and buffer washer removed the center tube of the mount where the bolt goes through should be level with the bottom of the mount body and both of mine were significantly sagged down and I could see cracks in the rubber around the tube that were not visible from on top of the mounts. The exhaust heat just kills the rubber in these mounts so they have a very short life span. Hope this helps you.

Dan

3. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hi Dan.
    Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to post - much appreciated.

After reading your post I’ve decided to renew all 4 mounts.

Bob.

4. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    As an aside, once I replaced all of the mounts, my car felt and drove much smoother and it shifted much easier and more precisely. I also noticed the exhaust tips were much better centered in the bumper exits. Replacing the mounts on my car transformed the whole driving experience more than anything else I've repaired on it.

spaghetti_jet likes this.