'Empty Mansions' | FerrariChat

'Empty Mansions'

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by rob lay, Sep 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I heard about this book on TV and started doing some research on the backstory. This is one of the most interesting stories I have ever seen. All about a lady named Huguette Clark.

1) daughter of one of the richest industrialists ever, William Clark.

2) only sister died young, dad died when she was young (he was 60+ when she was born).

3) went reclusive after the family deaths and a short marriage at only age 24. She lived to be 105! that's over 80 years of being a recluse with hundreds of millions of dollars!

4) mainly hung out with mom until mom died in 60's.

5) they had $100 mm mansion on coast Santa Barbara that was upkept perfectly, but she never visited in last 50 years of life.

6) they had $25 mm mansion in Connecticut that was built in 50's, but she never visited once!

7) they had $25 mm floors on Park Avenue full of priceless doll houses and art collection.

8) she stayed as recluse in Park Avenue apartment until 1991 or so when going to hospital. She lived the last 20+ years of her life in a hospital room that was quaint and secret to all friends and family. Only the lawyer and his assistant knew where she was. Supposedly he would take her letters from friends and family, but also possible lawyer kept everything from her.

9) dad had priceless art collection when he died and then sold their mansion on millionaire row which cost 3x as much to build as Yankee Stadium. after his death they sold it and tore mansion down.

10) New York attorney general is proceeding with investigation and court proceedings to figure out estate and if anything shady went on.

Just blows my mind all the dynamics to this story all the great mansions, great art collections, reclusiveness not visiting perfectly cared for mansions, and then the legal proceedings.

Wiki: Huguette Clark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

overview & pics: At 104, mysterious heiress is alone now - Business - Local business - Huguette Clark mystery | NBC News

48 good pics: The Clarks: An American story of wealth, scandal, mystery - Slideshows and Picture Stories - TODAY.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I remember reading her obit in the NYT right after she passed. fascinating character and story of wealth, art theft, weird wills (IIRC most of her $$ went to charity or her long-time employees).

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Same here.

It is truly fascinating. You have to wonder about mental issues.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    +1 on all points, especially the issues...just a weird story. Reminds me a little of the Collyer brothers and the "Collyer's Mansion"...

Collyer brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    First time I've heard of them. First documented hoarders it sounds like.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    "Their parents were first cousins"

I think that explains a bunch. :)

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Indeed :)

8. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Another Howard Hughes type I guess...

9. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    The tearing down that Fifth Avenue mansion is indefensible, what an amazing buidling. I believe there were many other such instances. So many lousy decisions in NYC including Penn Central. NYC looked much better in the past from the photo's I have seen.

Found a related blog;

Daytonian in Manhattan: The House that a Necklace Bought -- The Morton Plant Mansion

Daytonian in Manhattan: The 1884 Villard Houses

they even mess with the landmarks at the airport, luckily this one is surviving - TWA at New York - Eero Saarinen - Great Buildings Architecture