Emergency trunk handle | FerrariChat

Emergency trunk handle

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, Jul 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Well this one is very interesting, anticipate mechanical parts always work. The car is torn apart for maintenance, the battery is out of the car. trying to open the trunk have access to drain the gas, puled on emergency handle hidden under the carpet for luggage's noting happens. Tried few times no luck. I hate to put that heavy battery back in and use the switch. Can I use the battery jumper cable to connect the cables to actual car terminals to operate the cabin switch or there is a way fix that emergency handle.
    Any help appreciate, Sark

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes use jumpers because you don't need much power but don't short the system out because we don't want to lift a 45lb battery. Then when you got the boot open figure out why the manual release is no good. You need to take off the fascia strip in the trunk by the trunk catch to gain access to the manual cable terminus. Then you can work forward from there. Some have quite a friction bind. It hurts my arthritic fingers. Make sure you pull hard enough and have a 2nd person lift the trunk at same time. Sometimes the latch does not "click" open but is released.

3. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thanks, will follow

4. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    The little screw in rear latch that pushes the button to pop the trunk was missing. Just screwed in a small screw to make contact and it worked

Qavion likes this.
  5. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    well. connecting the battery cables to the main car terminals did not operate the trunk lock. all disconnected electrical harnesses in the engine compartment shouldn't have any thing to do with wiring to the trunk, the gas lid is not working either. so my only hope for now is the emergency handle. meanwhile will check the fuse for trunk too.
    Hwyman. I don't know which screw are you mentioning, if it is inside the trunk so the trunk needed to be opened first.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Seems odd that both would blow. Fuse 4 = fuel (requires ignition key), also powers the stop lights. Fuse 21 = trunk (battery power only), also powers cigarette lighter.

7. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Ian, there is an old saying, don't get old. I forgot to turn the car negative switch on, so the trunk door pupped up open, now I have chance to see why the emergency handle not working, Thank you all.

Qavion likes this.
  8. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    If you look at the lid portion of the latch there is a round pad, size of a dime. On the bumper portion of the latch there is a small plastic sleeve like on those plastic drywall anchors. There should be a small screw in that sleeve, when you pull the handle in the cabin it cantilevers that sleeve up to press that dime sized button. Hope this makes sense. The screw is the intermediary between the sleeve and the pad, adjust the length to give you the right pull force on the cable

9. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thanks, when I pull the handle noting moves so I should get to the bottom of that.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Usually takes a really hard tug. Ferrari did not seem to get this mechanical advantage thing down on the back-up cables. Hood release is even worse.

11. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Finally I decided to take the lock action apart to see why the emergency handle not working even with strong pull,
    After removing the lock this is what I find at the bottom of box, ( the nail and the C clamp that suppose to keep the vertical apparatus in place) disconnected and lose, that is why when you pool the cable nothing happens. picture #1.
    You should attache the vertical apparatus to the main lever by the nail and the C clamp. picture #2
    The small screw on the top of the vertical apparatus is only to hold the mushroom head to the vertical apparatus during assembly and has no adjusting position. Picture # 3
    When is all done it takes very gentle pull to open the trunk.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

colamclean, Konadog06 and Qavion like this.