Embarassing moment in the 400 | FerrariChat

Embarassing moment in the 400

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by KraigG, Jul 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    On Saturday, while I was pulling out of a parking spot, I heard my horn go beep.
    After straightening out the wheel, it started blaring, and didn't stop. I drove the 10 mins back home, trying not to get too close behind other cars, all the while the horn seems like it's getting louder and louder.
    Finally get home, pull it into the garage, where the sound is deafening.
    Grab toolbox, diiscover battery bolts are stripped. Back to toolbox, grab large screwdriver, and pry off cable, noise stops.
    Ears still ringing!
    Going to have to look for fuse that goes to horn, and pull that so I can drive the car.
    Does that particular fuse run other important items?

2. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    In my CIRCUITI ELETTRICI it says that fuse (it's the left most fuse) controls the horns and the rear bonnet opening. I would guess it will be easier to open the trunk manually than drive around with the horn blairing. : )

Al

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Check the horn button.
    I'll bet the wire fell off and is making ground contact on the inside of the hub.
    Easy fix.

4. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    I always assumed that the trunk (boot) was controlled by the cable operated lever on the floor, near the "benzina" lever.

You mean to tell me this is electrical???

5. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Wow, this is even better than my experience a couple of weeks ago when I had to ask an admiring onlooker to help me PUSH my car that wouldn't start!

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It depends what year your 400 is.
    '81 or '82 and down it is mechanical, newer than that it is electrical.
    Early cars usually command a premium because they don't have the electrical hood & trunk switch, load leveler system, and have standard fuse blocks not the printed boards.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Usually it is because the wire insulation has become worn somewhere inside the hub & the bare wire is now touching metal.

8. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    My '84 is. And the factory wiring manual dated '83 says it is. Guess they made a change between '82 and '83. I think I'd prefer the manual to the electrical since my switch isn't working so mine is manual anyhow via the cable in the back seat arm rest!

Al

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    That happened on my Honda! I pulled the fuse and it's common to the brake lights. You can't shift out of P without the brakes on! (I had to use the shift lock release; NOW I know what it's for!) Mine was just a stuck button; WD 40 fixed it. I bet yours is the button too. If you can pull it out and clean it up, it may solve the problem. Years and years of dust and lint probably have fouled it.

Ken

10. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Dust and lint in a Ferrari!!

Al

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    My 308 did this arriving at the big fchat cookout at Verell's house 2 years ago. I drove up with what was supposed to be a friendly TOOT TOOT but instead the horn button stuck and I got TOOT TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Imagine my shock and horror as everyone looked...and thought I was just being an ******.

Imagine my desperation as I shut the car off, hoping it would quell the piercing din, only to remember that the horn works without the key in the ignition.

I finally pried the entire horn button from the steering wheel, like a trapped coyote gnawing at its leg, as 50 people laughed and pointed. The button somehow rotated while being pushed, and got stuck. It snapped right back later. I am now careful to only push right in the center!!

12. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    I'm sorry, but that was too funny!

13. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    The horn in this car is louder than my wife. Mine (car, not wife) had been in the shop for some weeks. Among other things, I had the horn fixed -- new trumpets, whole new assembly. I drive it around, everything's fine. I park it at the house, go inside to take a nap and about a half hour later, you guessed it. The thing was so loud I think I self-levatated. The mechanic told me over the phone how to disconnect the wire to the assembly. After the noise stopped, I turned around to find two of my neighbors discussing a petition drive against the Ferrari. Anyway, this horn issue appears not uncommon. I'll let everybody know what the outcome on this is. Bill