ELEMENT Fire Extinguisher: An Introduction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ELEMENT Fire Extinguisher: An Introduction

Discussion in '308/328' started by Element, Nov 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Great answer but the INSURANCE issue wasn't addressed!

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Just FYI, I bought 4 as stocking stuffers. They are for automotive use for the family who currently have nothing so whatever it is has to be better. I do miss the days of purchasing Halon off the shelf in rattle can size.

Element likes this.
  3. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    I have something, and if this unit fails I want my family covered.

4. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Thank you. As mentioned UL certification is a requirement for only a very small range of users and you are still totally free to have an Element in those environments. We actually have sold a number to regulated businesses as supplements to those inspected by the fire marshal. One customer is a restaurant that has Element's at their cook stations because using a traditional extinguisher would leave them cleaning for days. Another is a mechanics shop that put one on each hoist, again fearful of customer vehicle damage from the corrosive powder of a regular extinguisher.

Regarding insurance we actually have two separate policies. One policy is held by the manufacturer in Italy with specific coverage for our company and its customers in North America. The other policy is from a North American insurance company that we took out as extra protection. Without this no serious North American company or agency will do business with you and it would be foolish to enter the marketplace without it. To our larger retailers, warehouse distributors, OEM accounts, and Police & Military clients we make the details of our insurance coverage available and any interested parties can contact our offices by telephone or email for further clarification.

5. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    PM Sent. For all others with trouble the new F-Chat now calls PM's 'conversations'. To PM us click on our username and then click on 'start a conversation'. It has been tested and is working fine.

6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I disagree, the 308 is not a fire prone car. It's that just if it still has 40 years old fuel lines (as every other car with 40 years old fuel lines).

Where is the factory located?

Thank you very much.

Which is the fire rating, for the A, B and C Italian rating Classes?

Thank you very much

ciao

7. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Agreed a poorly maintained 308 is prone to fire.

The factory is near Turin and the Italian fire ratings are A,B,C,F & Electrical .

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    ragtop1 likes this.
  9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you very much: But I would like to know how much the rating is, I mean the number there is before the letter, for example 21 A, 144 BC and so on.

Thank you very much

Ciao

cheesypeas likes this.
  10. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Alberto sorry but I do not have the European numbers you are requesting as our expertise is in the North American market. The whole classification system with differences between countries is incredibly convoluted and difficult to follow with no firm international standard. I'll send you a PM with some more information and am happy to correspond with the manufacturer in Italy to see if they have the numbers you need.

11. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Any plans of making a remote ignition and mounting bracket (mounted under the hood) sysytem?

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Do you not have insurance on the vehicle already, that covers loss from fire (or any other source)? Any fire suppression system may fail to stop the danger, depending on circumstances.

Beyond that, your family shouldn't be near the car once you've determined it's burning, whether you choose to tackle the blaze yourself or not...

Element likes this.
  13. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Interesting that you should ask. Our extinguisher technology works extremely well in confined spaces where it is possible to create a saturation in the air. In fact in a totally closed environment like the interior of a car you can actually deploy our extinguisher throw it in and close the door and the fire will go out by itself! We are working together with the FIA to develop a self-contained system that would be approved for racing and can live in the engine bay. As you can imagine the timeline to develop and approve such a product is long but I can say that we are actively testing prototypes so it is well beyond just an idea.

14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Thinking about that, it looks like it "burns" while/to releasing it's gas. how hot does that get? I assume that the handle is protected so that it can be held but if I toss it into a car is it hot enough to catch the carpet on fire? Just in case there is someone I don't like who may not need as much oxygen as they seem to be using. ;-)

15. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    You are correct there is a chemical reaction taking place that creates some heat and a tiny flame front at the tip of the unit as it discharges. That flame, due to the saturation of chemical coming out, cannot start any kind of fire. I have literally sprayed atomized fuel on it and it would not light so you can be sure a carpet will not catch fire from it. As for the unit itself you are supposed to hold it from the handle because with the passage of time the unit gets hot. This heating happens on a very progressive level so if you are holding the extinguisher by the body it will give you plenty of notice to re-position your hand to the cool handle.

16. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Will the under seat mount work on a 328?

17. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Yes. I have tried it on my 308 and I believe the seat mounting to be identical between the two cars.

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    the Potassiun Nitrate based fire suppression systems (like this one) suppress fire through a chemical inibition of the combustion. Here in Italy we know them with a different brand (Grima, http://www.grimaitalia.it/ita/sicurezza.html), but they are the same (FSS 50 and FSS 100 models). The suppression system they use is called "Aerosol based". The working process is this: Basically a solid, the potassiun nitrate, is ignited like a lighter and then it releases chemical sub products that break the combustion chain of the fire. You light on the potassiun nitrate and it releases a spray that stops the fire. Pay attention as when the discharge is completed, the fire can revamp again, as with the powder fire entinguisher.

Good product, a bit expensive. It's sold here in Italy by the BRICO shop chain

here you are the prices in Italy (FSS 50 and FSS 100, at present they don't sell the FSS 25 here in Italy):

FSS 50: http://www.bricoio.it/it-IT-it/Grima-Fire-Suppression-Systems-FSS-50_GRD7T001.aspx
    FSS 100 http://www.bricoio.it/it-IT-it/Grima-Fire-Suppression-Systems-FSS-100_GRD7T002.aspx

ciao

cheesypeas likes this.
  19. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    will do, can you post your phone number

20. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
  21. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I was thinking of it more in a garage as well with a mounting bracket on the wall.

It's convenient size makes this a good unit for car and garage.

Not sure I understand the different sizes in burn time, seems the 50 one fits all the bill. What would the 100 one be used for?

I've never used a fire extinguisher before ( hope to never use one ) but this is very appealing and handy.

Do these units have an expiration date ? How long will they last without use. What's the standard.

Is this something you buy online through CC ?

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  23. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
  24. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Coupon code sent

25. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Christmas is just over a week away but it is not too late to order an Element as a gift. F-Chatters are welcome to message me for a discount code.