Electronic vs mechanical speedometer | FerrariChat

Electronic vs mechanical speedometer

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by sebackman, Feb 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    I need some help here.

In my 1980 400i auto (series 1) the speedo is mechanical with a drive wire going to the gearbox (I guess). My car came from the US and while the speedo shows both mph & kmh it is focused on mph and I drive in the metric part of Europe :) .

A few years ago I bought a brand new (NOS) kmh speedo that got stuck on a shelf for many years. Now I'm converting all gauges to LED so I decided to swap the speedo.

Somewhat puzzled I found that the new one was electronic. Missed that back when...

Is there a way to convert wire drive to pulse drive to use the new one? Or is it to sell it and find a mechanical unit. The latter would be a shame as it is brand new.

All input much appreciated.

//Rob

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Post a pic of the speedo you have in the car originally. Many of the ones in the US were in fact stickers placed overtop the original km/h gauge. One could carefully remove the sticker. Send a pic and many of us can tell by looking at it. Sometimes but not always, the UK speedo was swapped in.

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #3 raemin, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    I'd try to keep the electronic speedo as these are easy to adjust, whereas it is much more troublesome to dial a mechanical speedo (mine shows 180kmh when the car is barely at 150kmh).

Easiest way to do it would be to buy the pulse generator from a 412, but bear in mind that if you have an auto, the rear axle ratio is different between the early 400 and the later 412/400gen2 (in other words you would have a small error on the odometer).

If you do have an auto transmission you could have a look at the numerous vendors that offer TH400/TH350 swaps for modern cars (with electronic speedo). They usually provide mechanical to electronic converters (i.e a pulse generator , ideally with an electronic ratio adaptor).

Pulse generator with ratio adapter : https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/350e-kit-to-convert-your-th350-transmission-to-an-electronic-speedometer/
    Pulse generator : https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/universal-speedometer-sending-unit-for-gm-mopar-vw-7-8-18-thread
    Ratio adapter : https://paceperformance.com/i-5089167-abb18600010-electronic-ratio-adapter-for-electronically-controlled-speedometer.html
    Easy to install GPS based (!) with ratio adapter : https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/gps-speedometer-sending-unit

Best would be to drop these vendors an e-mail.

4. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    #4 sebackman, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Hi,
    Thank you for the input.

The speedo is most likely changed and I can´t see that there is a sticker on it. That would have been nice.

I have done some digging and it seems pretty straight forward to swap over. Dakota Digital makes a pulse generator that fits in the speedo wire mount. I hope it is small enough to fit on the side of the gearbox in our cars And they make a universal speedo correction unit.
    https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=109/category_id=358/mode=prod/prd109.htm
    https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1192/category_id=712/mode=prod/prd1192.htm

The connection is easy, just plus and minus and a wire from the pulse generator on the gearbox to the electronic speedo.

The original Ferrari puls generator seem to be very expensive and also not very reliable, hence the Dakota Digital option. It is just fed 12V and is magnetic. Probably a Hall sensor but Ím not sure.

Do you know if the original Ferrari pulse generator is raising voltage, AC or DC, or if it is generating constant 12V pulses with raising rate corresponding to speed.

I would like to test my NOS speedo on the bench before buying needed parts to covert from wire to electronic but need to know what to feed on the sensor input.

Thank you
    //Rob

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Rob
    If you were in North America, I would highly recommend you contact Palo Alto Speedometer. http://www.paspeedo.com/
    The owner is German (German speaking) and he sources parts in Europe. He knows EVERYTHING about our speedos and other gauges. It is certainly worth contacting him, sorry I forget his name. He may have a "brother" doing the same in Europe.
    Ken

6. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Some updates for others attempting the same thing, ie moving from wire drive speedo to electronic.

The electronic speedo I have (kmh dial) work of 12v pulses from a sensor on the gearbox. This is the way they are setup on late 400i and 412's, as well as other F cars.

The speedo is fed plus and minus 12V and the pulse signal. The pulse signal normally comes from a Hall sensor on the gearbox and that sends 12v pulses dependent on the rotation of the output shaft from the gearbox, ie fixed ratio to wheels. I don't know if these are square or sinus pulses but my speedo only reacted to sinus pulses. That may also have been due to low voltage on the pulses in my test setup (being overly careful).

I believe that the original Ferrari pulse generator runs direct off the drive shaft whereas the wire driven speedos is driven via an angle drive and some gears. Going from wire to electronic "the Ferrari way" would likely mean taking the tail of the gearbox to remove the gear drive to insert the Ferrari pulse generator as far as I can understand.

I set up my electronic speedo on the bench to test that it worked and what pulses it needed. The number of pulses are constant per mile/km at a given rear axel ratio and given a certain tire dimension. My electronic speedo (in kmh) shows 100kmh @ 160 pulses per second (160Hz from a tone generator) on the bench. Hence, the sensor should produce 5,6k pulses per km and 9,1k pulses per mile (+/- a few percentage du to read-out on dial) for the speedo to produce the right reading.

The odometer confirms running in km as 60 seconds of 60kmh produces 1km on the odometer on the bench.

Since the original Ferrari pulse generator part seem to fail on occasion and is very expensive, I will not go that route. Plus the extra work with the gearbox wire drive.

I will use the Dakota Digital adapter that screws directly on to the wire drive. Pls see link in earlier post. The Dakota Digital pulse generator is set up to provide 8k pulses per mile so an adjustment is most likely needed. They don't list pulses per revolution so I can't calculate correction factor before buying one, as that will be dependent on the number of revolution for my specific car to produce 1 mile. According to my calculations using 3,25 final drive ratio and a circumference of 1925mm (Michelin 240/45/415) my car makes 0,6m per drive shaft revolution. Change in wheel size or final drive will change the ratio.

The unit mounts in the same place as the wire drive does, so my plan is to unscrew the wire and just insert the DD pulse generator, run the electric cable up to the dash, put a Dakota Digital adjuster box (pls see link in earlier post) between the pulse generator and the speedo, adjust and be done. I hope it is as easy as it sounds. I will probably leave the original wire disconnected and just cover the ends from dirt.

You can always run a speedo off a GPS pulse generator at roughly the same cost but that is not legal here. -And it would probably not give any reliable readings indoors or in tunnels.

It would be interesting to see if the US/miles speedos run the odometer in miles or km. I mean if the speedo scale is a sticker the odometer (bjwhite comment) would still show km (same number of pulses) which means that several cars out there have significant lower "real" mileage. The the speedo runs from pulses per second and the odometer from pulses per mile/km. So changing the scale with a sticker would only change the read-out of the speedo needle not the odometer.

Hope it helps someone.

Kind regards
    //Rob

raemin likes this.