Electric window mechanism | FerrariChat

Electric window mechanism

Discussion in '206/246' started by Gollyg, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gollyg

Gollyg Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris gilbert
    Does anyone have experience of Working on the electric window winding mechanism on a 246gts? I have a very sticky electric window and having removed door card can see a frayed cable on a very scary looking mechanism! So far I have left well alone but some time soon I will need to replace this cable. The motor seems fine. In addition the window is always slightly out of true when fully raised albeit can easily be adjusted by hand.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The 308 Section has tons of discussion.

There's even a recent reproduction of a Factory tool that holds the new cable on the spool.

Certainly the cable itself does wear, but I would examine the rubber channel liners of the vertical mullions.
    It's usually deterioration in these that lets the glass itself jump out when rising.

Tons of threads on it I think Superformance even offers two motors and cable in a package, but if all you need is cables (most likely fresh pulleys will help too) the there's parts readily available!

HTH

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's diagrams of the cable routing too, or just photo and study it VERY carefully before.taking it down.

4. Gollyg

Gollyg Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris gilbert
    Thanks for this, I’ll check out.

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Would you like to try vinyl coated cable next time?
    I have a big roll :)

6. Gollyg

Gollyg Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris gilbert
    Thanks. I’ll have a word with my pal who is likely to do this job during off season. Cheers