Ebay auction fail on a C/4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ebay auction fail on a C/4

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by jippiejake, Dec 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

exactly...

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    + 330!

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    "Should stand"

That doesn't sound like a definite to me.

Of course ...because you are alway CORRECT.

Yet conveniently, the both of you refuse to answer my question.

If you were in the sellers position, and someone offline couldn't bid and wanted to pay more, you wouldn't sell that person ?

You would honor the highest bid online ?

4. ferraripete

read post 18...I went into painful differentiation between a negotiated deal vs an auction. I also discuss the novel concept of protections the seller has called a reserve. the seller clearly miscalculated and made some rookie mistakes regarding controls and protections.

read the thread buddy boy.

yes I am right and you are wrong.

5. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Again, not everyone is a masterful brain child like yourself.

If in the same position, would you sell to the guy offline for 260, or sell to the ebay guy for 200?

Answer truthfully , don't skirt the reality of the situation with your ....too smart to get caught up in the rookie mistake.

What would you do in this situation ?

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why would he immediately relist for way more than the supposed deal price if he had a deal in place? Sorry, it's unethical and the winning bidder has every right to pissed.

7. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I am not disagreeing with you at all.

I feel horrible for the winning bidder , he thought he was getting a car / deal that he was willing to purchase.

I hardly would call this a scam....sellers remorse ... yup, scam, no.

And for the record, I have no interest or ties with this owner or car....but these things happen, he is trying to get top dollar for his car, obviously not going about the best way for all involved, this we can all agree with.

8. ferraripete

I indicated in the other thread that the seller had several protections that could have been engaged.

1) if he was essentially testing the market or looking to price discovery, he could have stated that the car was also for sale locally and that based on that, he reserved the right to end the auction early if the car was to sell through other channels.

2) if he had a sense of the cars value he could have set a high reserve (at or near his thoughts of the value or an acceptable transactional price) and avoided a sale well below market and leaving him feeling like he left huge money on the table.

note: I have zero problem for the seller entertaining a higher "off line" bid as long as the auction is cancelled before it closes w/ a bidder thinking he won as he watched the auction clock wind down to zero.

net, net, the seller mishandled the auction by allowing a winning bid to occur and then going on to not honor the bid.

I hope that was clear enough.

9. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I asked a close ended question ... Yes or no.

In the same situation as this seller...would you sell the car for 200 online yes, or no.

This is as simple as I can make it for you.

10. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    I placed a legitimate bid on the car WELL above the $202,000 bid. EBAY blocked the bid due to "fraud prevention" as I had not purchased an item that expensive before (how many of us really have?) I have perfect feedback, over 100 transactions, an ebay store, and a member since 1999. I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone last night with EBAY "support" and ebay admitted their mistake that they should not have blocked my bid. Ebay agreed that that the right thing to do was relist and they even were prepared to remove ANY negative feedback to the seller that might ensue do to EBAY's issue.

EBAY support verified that I should have been the winner of the original auction based on the fact that my bid (which ebay verified) was really the winning bid. Its not the seller's fault that ebay screwed up his auction and left money on the table. I ended up paying MORE than I needed to but that's life and I LOVE the car. Better to pay up front for a nice car. The seller got a fair price instead of an artificially low one due to EBAY's screw up. The seller should be allowed to review all bids on HIS car so I think that is fair.

I think there is one thing we should all agree on, EBAY was at fault and they did their best to rectify a bad situation. I am the one that ended up wiring more $$ for it today but once again I think the car warrants it. I can understand other's frustration without hearing the rest of the story so I hope this helps.

11. naiyvel

naiyvel Rookie

Oct 11, 2005
    Hey guys
    I also know Stacy from the C4 website & he is definitely a decent guy.
    Scam & scumbag are a bit strong.
    For whatever reason which of us would accept $200k in a non-bonding auction for a car which you can get another £50k for.
    Certainly not I
    Regerds

12. ferraripete

you are not much of a reader for content are you.

1) I would have the auction.

2) I would protect my bottom line with a reserve so as not to leave money on the table or have sellers remorse if a transaction were to ensue through the auction.

3) if I had a more substantive bid outside of the auction off line I would close the auction and sell to the higher bidder.

but...in this particular instance, the seller chose not to end the auction and there was in fact a winning bid. mismanaged as I have indicated. I would not have made the same mistake.

now do you understand what I have been saying or do you just want to joust?

13. ferraripete

it is clear that the seller did not want to take a $60k haircut but much of that could have been averted by simply placing a reserve that he was comfy with...his minimum transaction price.

congrats... it sounds like you got a nice machine.

14. ferraripete

no clearly bit as I indicated...it was poor form not to have cancelled the auction before letting a winning bid occur. simple as that.

15. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Sour grapes.

You refuse to answer any direct questions.

Got it.....it's not about jousting, it's about answering a yes and no, which you clearly refuse.

Also, you were very vocal on the burn the seller ban wagon

Your famous hits are :

And

And finally..

The new purchaser just explained the situation that eBay made the error, not the seller.

You owe the seller an apology for your behavior and your print as you were flapping your gums without all the details.

I suspect you will not apologize and give another long winded answer to how you are perfect and would never conduct an auction like he did because of your perfectionist being.

16. ferraripete

I said I would cancel the auction and seek the higher bid. wtf do you not understand???

I have to be careful how I address you so as not to be banned for calling you one of many clearly appropriate names.

how can I put you on ignore? I am so bored by you and your clear lack of reading comprehension.

17. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    This explanation being the case,it's a pity and great deal more upsetting,I'm sure,for the original 'winner',that ebay didn't let the original poster of this thread in on the whole situation.
    I dissagree that Ebay 'did their best' otherwise this whole discussion,well,wouldn't be,at all.

.....and the backbiting that has now eventuated between like-minded enthusiasts,so sad.

18. ferraripete

hey big red...for the record I once sold a ducati 888 spo with out reserve and I did infact cancel the auction and sold on the ducati board for a higher price.

but again, I indicated that I was seeking a sale in parallel to the ebay auction and reserved the right to cancel the auction at any time.

yes...how's buddy boy?

19. ferraripete

and false....the seller made the error due to not cancelling the auction before the final bid and further made a mistake is not using the reserve protection tool.

you are wrong big red and I do not owe the seller an apology. he could have saved all involved with his auction if he had used the buy it now or set a high reserve from the onset...that is NOT an ebay problem!!!

20. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I agree, it didn't give the other purchaser a chance to counter if he wanted too.

Sad day of events all round, including the seller being labeled a scam early on with non validated information,but don't tell ferraripete that, he wants to witch hunt the seller, and still defiant and not apologize to the seller for his lack of class and aggressive posts about the outcome. Good to see peoples character come out when proved wrong, very defining moment.

Hopefully the seller and unwon bid can move past this , and the new owner can enjoy his new purchase.

eBay did not accept the higher bid over 202 , Greg clearly illustrated this. Period.

You can keep talking, but the facts are out - eBay made an error and it didn't get solved in time.

We all know eBay is perfect just like you , and a mistake on their part is hard for you to comprehend...but it happened.

Grow up.

21. ferraripete

aggressive posts? lol...I have been very clear where the seller fully mismanaged the auction. you just don't agree with me or you are simply too big a kitten to admit your issue is with me and not my position.

put some vagisil on it buddy boy and maybe the burn will subside....now please go away keep your comments directed to me focused on how slow my boxer is or how lame my 930 turbo is...

22. ferraripete

"eBay did not accept the higher bid over 202 , Greg clearly illustrated this. Period.

You can keep talking, but the facts are out - eBay made an error and it didn't get solved in time.

We all know eBay is perfect just like you , and a mistake on their part is hard for you to comprehend...but it happened.

Grow up."

big red...he did not want to sell for less than $260k ish so why have an auction in the first place? why would the seller not have just set a high reserve or set a buy it now price in the first place?

he seemed to get religion and relisted w/ a buy it now.

simple answer big boy?

23. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    'STREWTH, mod's can you have a look at this private war,please?

24. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The opposite happened to me once. I was the last bidder at the very end. I placed my bid and eBay answered me I was the highest bidder. The auction end 2 seconds after and I'm happy to be the winner but NO, the listing show the other bidder as the winner at a lower price that I bidded and was confirmed I was highest bidder. STRANGE. I contacted the seller and explain, but he said he just confirm the other guy and already had received paypal payment. What a joke. I was pissed.

25. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I sold at least a thousand items on eBay since 1997. A few items, including an old MG and a Triumph went for far less than I expected. Since I listed them with no reserve, I was taking that risk. Sometimes it pays off and you get more than you expect. I honor the final bid. I sold the MG and Triumph even though I could have sold the cars for several thousand more outside of eBay.

It sounds like the ultimate winner of the car put in a snipe bid that didn't go through. I believe you have to be pre-approved to bid on very expensive items.