Ebay auction fail on a C/4 | FerrariChat

Ebay auction fail on a C/4

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by jippiejake, Dec 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Hi everyone..
    I wanted to make everyone aware of what happened to me.
    Last night I won an Ebay Auction for a GTC/4 that was being offered by a Fchat member "Stacy" for $200,000.
    Its a grey on black car vin# 16057
    I was sent the normal winning bidder email from Ebay and one personally from Stacy.
    Stacy has since emailed me to say that there was some technical problem with the Ebay Auction and a higher bidder who would have paid $260,000 for car was not allowed to bid.
    He is not honoring my winning bid now and has re-listed the car for $275,000 as a buy it now.
    Ebay Motors is not a binding auction as the regular Ebay Auctions are.
    So my recourse can be limited but not totally.
    Let me know if anyone else has had this happen to them?

2. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, a scam would indicate that you lost money by not receiving your product, be glad that you haven't as yet. The seller didn't accept your bid, therefore no sale. Be happy!

3. jippiejake

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    But it was a winning bid, isn't that different?

4. Ian Nersesian

Ian Nersesian Rookie

Jul 6, 2004
    I will use your own quote for an answer... "Ebay Motors is not a binding auction as the regular Ebay Auctions are". There is no recourse, you just didn't get the deal you were hoping for. "Stacy" appears to be fishing for a few extra bucks and on an auction site that would be a morally questionable way to go about things but seems to be within the bounds of ebays rules.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

huh? be happy? I suspect he is pissed off as he had committed to bid and won...only to be told...sorry, just kiddin.

wtf????

6. ferraripete

seller should be admonished here publically by the vintage sect. that is poor form.

he should not be peddling his car on ebay if he is looking for top dollar. his method is nothing short of duplicitous. shame.

7. jippiejake

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Hey,
    I agree..
    Ebay is like a polished Craigslist in a way..
    That is the world we live in..No one is honest anymore..
    If Stacy would have called me and explained everything in detail it would have been a whole lot better of a situation..Or he could have told me during the auction that he has no intention
    of selling for a certain price..
    I just get a little ***** email that he is not honoring the deal and I can buy it now for $275K..
    So suck on that Mike, he basically is saying..
    And Happy New Year too..

8. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  9. AKINSB

AKINSB Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Alex K
  10. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was surprised the car sold for only $200K based on the description, assuming it was accurate and honest.
    I would not consider this a scam, however I believe the seller is less than ethical and at this point, it would be difficult to take him seriously.
    Thanks for alerting the community, although my bet is that someone outside the F-chat community will pay this guy's price if the car is as described.

11. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    And sold, it seems.

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Can someone post screenshots of both ads so that this thread may be of use in the future.

Thanks,

Art S.

13. AKINSB

AKINSB Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Alex K
    #14 AKINSB, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. John Roth

John Roth Rookie

Jul 19, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    John Roth
    #15 John Roth, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    This would-be seller is officially a scumbag. He'll turn down a $275,000 offer and re-list it for $350,000. With any luck, he'll still own the thing when the bubble bursts. Happy motoring

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  16. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #17 normv, Dec 27, 2013
    Hello, Im sure the OP is upset as I would be too, however he lost no money of course he didn't gain any either. Its possible he could have recontacted the seller and ask what he really wants and come together with a solution, but the OP was already soured with the seller. Unfortunate, but the seller could have been telling the truth that there was a glitch as Im sure the seller didnt want to lose a possible $75,000.00 either.

Hmmm sold an hour later, there might be something fishy. Who knows, maybe its a good thing you didn't put any money up.

17. ferraripete

#18 ferraripete, Dec 27, 2013
    ok....let's see here.... what you have described is called a "negotiated sale". the seller on the other hand represented that by going through ebay in the fashion he chose...is called an "auction"

auctions are actually kind of fun as buyers get to bid and compete and sellers can build in some protections often referred to as "reserves". lol...look into it.

simply put, the buyer was screwed and the seller was wrong, wrong, wrong. was I clear??

18. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, rethinking this a little. Suppose the seller did actually have a buyer at $260,000.00 that couldn't get on in time. Now that the car is sold one hour later, I can assume that it was in deed the higher bidder that bought it for such as the $275.000.00 price is scratched out indicating a best offer accepted.

The seller could have sold the car without going through the EBay process and save himself seller and auction fees, however he did not. To me then the seller was being upfront and honest. I do understand the OP frustration, since $200.000.00 was obviously under market value.

19. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    While I know nothing about this transaction I will note that Stacy has been a member of the C4 owners website for some time and I have had dealings with him[parts sales] in the past . He was always upfront and honest with me. Mike

20. ferraripete

his ebay feedback corroborates your position with the exception of the sale of the car. it was handled badly by mr. stacy period. we all understand that extracting the most from a sale is always the goal but in an auction where there is no reserve or the reserve is too low...you get what you get unless you want to play dirty.

let's agree that the car should have never been placed on ebay and if an auction was what he sought...rm or the like would have been a better medium. he remains in the wrong however for having conducted himself in a manner unbecoming.

21. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Sounds more like seller's regret, as he certainly had ample time to re-list his 'auction' to different terms. Ebay ebay states in the terms of service that an auction may be retracted [and resubmitted] if 'a material fact was misrepresented'. That listing looks fair and square.

but, there is no one to complain to that will give a hoot or change the outcome, other than from these boards....so, in deflecting yet another 1K+ posts on chatting... there is nothing more to dwell and much more to talk about.

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I'm not sure why all the sour grapes on the seller.

This is a free market, he is looking for top dollar, and is shopping it around,what is wrong with that?

eBay is not a contractual legal document that you can have recourse , and no money was exchanged.

The sour grapes to me is coming from the buyer that now calls the seller a "scum bag" because he couldn't score the deal of the year.

This stuff happens in business all the time, and this is a free country, he hasn't signed over any documents promising a car to anyone at any price yet right ? So then he has a right.

You all know very well if it was you in the exact same position you would do the same or similar thing....tell me I'm wrong.

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

I don't think that's very accurate. The auction is a unilateral contract. You don't have an obligation, unless you bid. But, if you list it and the terms are met, fair and square, the agreement should stand. If a buyer is induced to bid and wins, based upon the sellers representations, the seller is obligated to comply and carry through with the deal. Same goes for the buyer. That's the entire purpose and intent of an auction.

To suggest that such should not be the case is a call to commercial chaos and an endorsement of absent ethics. Absent material facts to the contrary, the seller should get the benefit of what he bargained for---without question.

24. ferraripete

you are wrong.