Early 70's Miami - Orange Motors? | FerrariChat

Early 70's Miami - Orange Motors?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by tx246, Aug 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The other day i was speaking with the first owner of a Dino I own. He told me the car was imported by Orange Motors (?) in North Miami Beach, which according to him was the only other Ferrari importer, other than Chinetti (I am not saying I subscribe to this statement).

Is anyone aware of a dealer/importer/whatever with a name of "Orange Motors", or some variation there of?

2. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    i remember them when i went to UM in the 70's. I remember some drug money scandal (big surprise, in miami in the 70's) closed them down . i think, memory is a little hazy from that time as well!!

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I assume that was entirely unreleated :D

4. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    Orange Motors! That brings back some memories. I was just a kid at the time, and don't remember/don't know anything about them being an official importer but I do remember them having a lot of very cool cars - Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis and various other European exotics and oddballs. I used to love going there with my dad as a kid. For some reason I remember them being on 36th Street near I-95 though, not North Miami Beach.

bertsboat likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bill ask Ed Waterman of Motorcar Gallery in Fort Lauderdale: he has been dealing in classics since the 60's -that young whippersnapper Mike Sheehan calls him uncle Eddie- and has been around longer than anyone in south Florida: he almost bought the Ferrari dealership from two young brothers who were struggling with it in the early eighties, their name was Shelton but he could not be bothered with new car customers: much nicer to deal with enthusiasts than with status buyers, as I can tell from personal experience there!

Call him afternoons or evenings at the dealership: 954 522 9900 and he will tell you what he remembers, which is usually a lot. Don't bother emailing as he won't have time to answer.

Hope this helps,

Marc Sonnery

6. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Ed Waterman has a new showroom now, just 100 yards or so to the North of the old one.
    The old one is being demolished as we speak, but it would have gone down by itself if he had waited a bit longer!

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes he was never one for the big shiny showroom and the mistake a lot of people always made was not to see past that: whereas so many who have the shiny showrooms with truck loads of recent cars know nothing. He has had more cars, more important cars than most dealers in the US and there is a lot of knowledge there...but yes I am not not sorry to hear the old showroom is gone!:) You should have seen it during your typical Florida summer monsoon: a sieve, with buckets everywhere but Ed did not care: he was on the phoe working the next deal, oblivious!

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Not an official dealer or importer, as I recall. I think the authorized Miami dealer back when Dinos were new was Crown- back when Ft. Lauderdale's Shelton was still Cressman-Baumgarten. As for folks to ask, try Tim Stanford- he'd probably know. I think maybe Ed W. was still up in suburban Washington DC at that point?

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Ira hope you are well, greetings from the Alps!

Actually just as I lurk in Fchat and post every 29th of February if there is a concurrent full moon so Ed lurked in Fort Lauderdale well before he started Motorcar Gallery in FLL in 84, his parents lived in a condo on the Beach from 20 or 30 years earlier so he'd been spending months down south as a snowbird already buying and selling back then, even though he ran his Thoroughbred Motorcars in Arlington Virginia as his main residence.

Best regards,

Marc

10. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Gotcha Marc- that makes sense. All's well here- hope you can say the same. Still have your Khamsin?
    Ira
    P.S.: I'm sure you remember Charlie Gallant, my friend on Barton Ave. in PB at whose house you shot Frame's F-50 for that Cavallino cover. Well, Charlie died some time back, and his son just had their 246 GTS redone- not too many genuine one-owner Dino Spyders around!

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Ira:

I actually met Charles Gallant son at Tim's in 2004 or so, I figured out who he was and I told him about the F50 shoot...and had heard that Mister Gallant had passed, sad...a very gracious man.

I am in one piece, I guess, after a very topsy turvy couple of years, consequently my khamsin is in the Christie's Monterey auction in a little over a week...it hurts to sell my baby but I will buy another Khamsin within a couple of years. I had a nice ride in another near Modena 10 days ago, a white one and it even looked great in that color: I was amazed.

What are you using as a track car nowadays?

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Thanks for the help everyone. i was not even certain of the dealer name. the dino i own was purchased by candice mosler (known in houston and miami for the murder trial of her husband where she and her nephew were charged). she later remarried. when her new husband "fell" under mysterious circumstances from their home here in houston, he lay in a coma for months. as a christmas present, she purchased two dino's - a green coupe and a blue spyder- from "orange motors" and had them brought here to houston. the two dino's went to two of the doctors that were instrumental in saving her husband. the green coupe went to dr. debakey of heart medicine fame.

it took three years to track this info down, but it is nice to finally know the "story" of the dino

13. rip

rip Rookie

Jan 18, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Patrick RICHARD
    I am very impressed about your success. This story crowns your efforts and I think, is a nice added value to your car as well.

Funny enough, I am actually looking also for earlier dealers, workshops, owners, sales- and service staffs of the 70s...80s in Florida. A lot have changed, but people are still somewhere. It's great to find and give them a call. But as you said once, the trick is to decide them to have a look in their records.

There is a lot of good contacts in this forum. It's great to participate and thanks for sharing.

14. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    #14 Ira Schwartz, Aug 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well Marc, I'm afraid we've succeeded in hijacking this thread- sorry guys. Hope the Khamsin brings a good price @ Christie's, and here's my track car (348 SS tb Challenge #94285):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ah yes but to steal a quote from Sharon Stone sorry Katherine Trammel: "What are they going to do: charge us for talking about cars!?"

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Oh and your 348 looks very sharp: have fun!

17. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Ira, for crying out loud....I will pay for the removal of the decals and to have new "Cavallino Motors" or "ICT Motorsports" decals added to the car. When and where do I pickup the car for a day? We'll have it detailed by Eddie at the same time. Free of charge :)

18. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    You're right, Martin, we need to talk! Haven't been around much lately (other than a brief visit to Sebring a few weeks ago and another coming up in late September), but when I next see you . . .

19. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Come and register with NASA for the September 1-2 event. www.drive NASAfl.com . You will be able to sign up for HPDE3 and then get a check ride for HPDE4 if you want. If they need someone to vouch for your driving ability, give them my name. I can also pre-tech your car if you want. Of course Tim can do that as well.

Martin

20. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    As far as I remember Orange Motors later became Deel motors which then in some part became the collection (some of the franchises kept the deel name while the others became the collection). BTW for all those south florida people, does anyone remember when The Collection was an authorized YUGO dealer?

21. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    THANKS Martin, but that's just a few days after I return from Elkhart Lake (doing the LRS Formula USA program in a '97 Arrows F1 car at Road America- yikes!), so I think I'm going to wait until late September and do the SAFE Motorsports event at Sebring instead.

22. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    HAHA yes I do!

23. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    How about The Collection Chevrolet on 27th avenue just south of NW 95th street?!

24. vladie22

vladie22 Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    im embarassed to say my mom actually bought one of the Yugos back in '85 ! it was gold , 4speed stick, no radio !what a P.O.S.

25. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    They are collector items these days. :)