EagleMoss Ferrari F40 Competizione - 1/8 Scale Kit Subscription | FerrariChat

EagleMoss Ferrari F40 Competizione - 1/8 Scale Kit Subscription

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by djs308, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Just saw an ad for this new release. I've built the Pocher F40 and this model looks to be similar in terms of the level of detail. Peculiar in that you don't buy the whole thing in one shot. It requires a monthly subscription where they send you 4 issues per month, with each issue containing a handful of parts to be assembled.

Anybody have any info or experience regarding either the company or the model itself?

https://en-us.eaglemoss.com/model-enthusiast/ferrari/ferrari-f40-buildup

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like a rip-off to me. 1:8 scale is a very big model. $1.95 to start can't buy squat. Sounds like they are trying to get and bill credit cards in perpetuity. If it sounds too good to be true... Maybe someone else can change my mind.

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    100 issues required to get all the parts at $10.95 per issue, less the cheap intro one!

For $1k I think you could probably get a better detailed model. Maybe get a hiro to make and an amalgam to admire?

lots of these “deals” in the UK!

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Let's see; 100 monthly issues is equal to over 8 years. Hope they don't go out of business in that timeframe leaving one with an unfinished F40.

5. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    If im reading this right you get 4 issues every month. So 25 months total to receive all the kit parts.
    A yea might be reasonable. 2 is not IMO.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm doing the james Bond Aston - its been legit so far. I did the Deaugostini McLaren and Porsche ... McLaren was way better kit ... but regardless I like to have something to tinker with.

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
  8. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    My advice with this type of subscription models is to wait until all issues are out and buy the whole bunch for much cheaper on the market (ebay or else)
    You can find the Falcon Millenium from DeAgo for good prices, or other models. This way you avoid taking risk to have an unfinished model...

djs308 likes this.
  9. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    My wife wanted to gift me this subscription and ordered it a month ago--the website states shipments would start in 2-3 weeks --when I called for a status today I was told by customer service that this will not start shipping 'until sometime in 2020'- no specific date available. Knowing Eaglemoss there is a possibility that this may not be released at all. I will be contacting them next week to complain about misrepresentation and deception in advertising. Customer service is a thing of the past.

10. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    These 1:8 partworks are fairly common here in the UK. I've built the '67 Mustang GT500, and will be building the F40 Comp. There's also been an Aston DB5, Nissan GTR, and E Type Jag off the top of my head. The Mustang was done through DeAgostini (ModelSpace) and took 100 issues (four episodes per month for two years, sent monthly). It wasn't cheap (~£1100?), but as a hobby, I'm okay with the value for money. I also sold the Mustang and recouped most of my outlay when I decided to build the F40. The F40 will work out at £982.01 for the premium subscription. Not cheap, but since an Amalgam F40 is well out of my reach, this'll do for now.

I pick the ones that have run to completion elsewhere to avoid being left with an incomplete model. Here in the UK, Panini are handling the F40, and the series has run to completion in Italy through Centauria. Likewise, Altaya had already done the full production run of the Mustang in France, before De Agostini picked it up for the UK.

Edit: I will say that I've never heard good feedback about EagleMoss. I'm fortunate that they don't control distribution for us here in the UK.

11. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I signed up for the F40 too (UK). Probably a bit silly as I’m sure the quality won’t be amazing, but at the end of the day spreading the cost over 2 years is pretty fine. And will be fun to see it taking shape.

It’s my favourite road car so I thought “why not”!

I think I will add some details myself (painting + maybe some other additions) based on photo reference to make it a bit personalised and, hopefully, better!

Never had a model this large before so that’ll be interesting!

One thing I don’t like the look of is on their marketing materials you can see the wires that feed to the rear lights (which all light up - as well as having engine sounds apparently!) - can see a white and red power cable hanging down if displayed with engine cover open! I will have to find a better way to do that, or my OCD will kick in big time!

I didn’t go for premium because the company (I phoned them) don’t know how tall the car is when open, or how tall their £100 display case is yet! They told me length and width, and height of CLOSED car but that wasn’t my question.

Guess I’ll be ordering a bespoke case at the end of 2 years!