EAA AirVenture Oshkosh | Page 2 | FerrariChat

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by F1tommy, Jul 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  2. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a question for everyone here. The aircraft that took Gold Grand Champion was a 172 that was the first one manufactured. The aircrafts Certificate of Airworthiness was dated 10/4/1955. The airplane was listed as a 1955 Cessna 172 one the EAA's own website this morning listing the winners. Trouble is, "contemporary category" according to the EAA are airplanes MANUFACTURED after 1/1/1956. The one that was ahead of me therefore did not belong in my category therefore depriving me of being Gold Grand Champion. The aircraft should have been judged in the CLASSIC category which runs from 09/1/1945 through 12/31 1955. The bias to get the "first" 172 to win is therefore glowing.

Should I challenge? This was CLEARLY a violation of THEIR OWN RULES. This isn't about judging points its about being out of category in a easily documented way.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not that it changes anything, but could this actually be 11/4/1955, the day the TC was approved?
    http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/a444abc8f3357f6c86257ea4004e8ae6/$FILE/3A12_Rev_84.pdf

I'm sure there is a rational explanation.:rolleyes:

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    That they would reverse themselves seems incredibly unlikely. Would a failed protest result in adverse bias in future competition, or was this a one-tine-shot?

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Since the discrepancy is, at most, 3 months, I don't think they thought that anyone would notice. The Cessna 172 is generally thought of as a post-1955 aircraft, so the fact that this one was registered a few months before that probably didn't register with the judges. I'd just accept things as they are - Reserve Grand Champion is not shabby!

Of course, I have trouble accepting that a 62-year-old aircraft could even be considered "contemporary"! Yes, the Cessna 172 is still in production, but any similarities between those early examples and the current ones are probably mainly coincidental. (Some people have similar problems with today's Porsche 911s being called 911s, especially since that designation has been in use since 1964.) Maybe EAA needs to add another category.

6. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Something I am weighing. Most likely I will email the board of directors calling attention to the problem. If they don't rectify it by, say, having two "Grand Champions" this year then I will just let it go. But its bull****. Not to mention my aircraft was clearly better anyway. Just one example: Mine has a brand new engine with all new baffling an accessories and a polished firewall. His has an unrestored engine with two really ugly repairs on the firewall and he wouldn't even open the cowling to show the judges because he told them it "wasn't pristine enough". I am not making this up lol....

7. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Nice angle to get the ultra-rare quad tailed FA-18 ;)

Lots of interesting machinery in those pics.. I need to go again and roll the dice and see what turns up!

8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Nice pictures with great planes. Thanks for sharing.

9. wizzells

wizzells Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I absolutely 100% agree.
    You cannot take it all in without being literally carried off the field after just one day.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I was wondering how many at AirVenture Oshkosh. 2017 broke a number of records according to the EAA. 590,000 visitors, 10,000 aircraft, 123 takeoffs/landings per hour, 1,162 vintage airplanes and 351 warbirds.

mikesufka likes this.
  11. wizzells

wizzells Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I drove up there from Milwaukee on Friday. Arrived about 7:45am, and it took me 40 minutes to get into a parking spot. By far the longest I've ever waited just to park. Could tell it was going to be a busy day, and it was.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Only 1 month to go. I have seen they will have a military tanker display this year. Anyone know where you can find an accurate list of warbirds that will be on display??

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well it's back in July 2021!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  15. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Airport friends are heading there to display their new 4 cylinder (?)2 stroke engine thats lighter and more powerful than a IO-540.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  16. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'll be there Tues-Thur. Where is their engine being displayed?

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Maybe I'll make it there in 2023; that will be the 40th anniversary of my last trip there!

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    company and/or engine name? o_O

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    BJK likes this.
  20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Oshkosh 2021 >>> Jul 26 – Aug 1

anyone see it? ........... company and/or engine name? .......... Bueller? ... Bueller? o_O :p

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Oshkosh 2021

Very cool acrobatics, but man, these are rare (and old) birds. Some high speed, low level passes would be good enough for me.

Jump to 5:00 for landing and nice, close-up taxi views

Bob Parks, Boomhauer, tritone and 2 others like this.
  22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    There was alot of smoke this year at the show due to the forest fires in Canada and the western US. Looks strange in the videos and pictures, kind of a yellowish haze. Military aircraft count was way down also. But still good to get started again after Covid 19. This is still the best airshow in North America for warbirds.

Boomhauer and BJK like this.
  23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Also, a major storm on Wed. cut things short for many who bugged out early.

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/news/2021/07/29/oshkosh-eaa-airventure-dodges-a-bullet/

24. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was disappointed not to catch the night show on Wednesday due to weather, but it happens. Lots of pilots somehow got anything they could find to cover their planes. Bubble wrap, cling wrap, pink foam insulation taped on wings due to hail risk. Lots of people also left before the storm. Wish I had taken a picture of the p51 with pink foam panels. How to make a beautiful airplane look like a jalopy in an hour and for only $100...

Jacob Potts and BJK like this.