E-Type valuation thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

E-Type valuation thread

Discussion in 'British' started by rdefabri, Sep 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
  2. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
  3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  4. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Well at least it's "negotiable"! Man, read that description of the other sales from the same seller and the prices are just incredible.

At the concours last weekend, I probably spoke to 40 people. At least 30 of them, without exaggeration, were previous or current owners.

ALL of the previous owners "kicked themselves" since they'd now never be able to obtain another, and the current owners were either a) Fastidiously maintenance-oriented 'drivers' or b) Glad they can or did justify the elaborate restoration of their cars, now very preserved show-day queens.

In other words, lots of keepers of the flame out there on these cars, plus those who can 'justify' a $200k + restoration on a car that can rival the best of Europe's sports cars in that glorious period. If you looked at an E type only on beauty and merit, it'd be a $400+k car. Production numbers are the only thing that keep a lid on the values.

In the case of the outside bonnet latch cars, that number holds no such restraint.

5. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's interesting because my car is a driver - a condition 3 probably. I often wonder if I should slowly restore it, just because the values are out there, but I worry about retraction and I don't want a trailer queen (not to mention I don't have the budget).

6. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Rich,
    ..neither did Cheops..😉
    Cheers,
    RE

7. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Indeed!

8. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #84 mcimino, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  10. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Please... more pics of your 64 XKE...a true relic.

11. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    First series 3 E type to achieve a JCNA 100 point score...I examined this car a month ago..
    Yes...perfection..too bad about the color..

Remember that turquoise they made back then...or even navy would be nice..get rid of those bumpers too.

Autosport Designs

12. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #89 mcimino, Oct 2, 2015
  13. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #90 msdesignltd, Oct 2, 2015
    Nice!
    Your car is stting really low in rear
    Top of wheel is covered by fender, check that.
    Is that a NY black plate?
    If you are at show next weekend i will be there come say hello.
    Fun show, last year I won best Ferrari in show with my TR.
    I see That seam gets welded shut on a lot of cars.
    Not good if you need to replace fender.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, she's low… I have new shocks and springs, but haven't had the nerve to drop the rear end yet. I just got a 4-post lift last this year, so I plan on giving it a go soon. I have a 1964 NY Worlds Fair plate on the car. I'll probably take the XKR next week to Americana, but I'll be parked next to that Duetto again. Hope to see you.

15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

#93 Oengus, Oct 4, 2015
  16. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I've been looking at that car myself. Seems to be all there, and yes, colors are beautiful.

17. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Looks good - agree with riozilla that it may be too cheap.

18. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You mean FHC

19. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

yes FHC......its amazing

20. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    #98 malex, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Looking for opinions on value of my '66 FHC as I keep going back and forth between selling it, and turning it into a #2 condition resto-mod.

The car basically is a "garage" find that I bought last summer. The previous owner had started a restoration ~22-23 yrs ago. He took care of all body work with welded in metal being sourced from Jaguar. So the body (including undercarriage) is clean with zero rust whatsoever. At one point after completing the body work, the former owner repainted the car from its original opalescent silver blue to primrose (a buttercream yellow color). The engine runs and tranmission shifts - though the head appears to be a replacement and not the original. Car will need a new clutch and rebuilt brake calipers (if I don't upgrade to Wilwoods). Interior is gutted down to the bare metal, but the former owner provided me with new-in-box interior, including seat covers, headliner, carpets etc - all quality stuff - that would need to be installed. Only thing missing is door panels and it needs a new dash top and a retrimmed center console. I also have all the glass, though the front windshield has a 5" crack and would need to be replaced.

I have all the chrome other than some of the windshield trim and the trim strip that go in the seam between the fenders and hood. But most chrome parts would need to be rechromed as the pieces are pitted and the chrome is showing its age.

I should note that the car does come with a stack of records, receipts etc that it about 2" thick and dates back to 1972, though most records are from 1977.

So, with all the above info, in today's market, does anyone have any estimates on value of the car should I elect to sell it? I fully realize that I haven't posted any pics, but the car is pretty much how you'd imagine it based on description. I'll try to post some pics towards the end of the week but I'm not sure they'd add much to the conversation. Thanks all.

21. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

22. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I concur around $50k. If you did a bunch of that work to make it look great inside and out - so buyer wouldn't have to do those things - it could be $75k or a tad more