E-test in ontario | FerrariChat

E-test in ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 1995F512M, May 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1995F512M

1995F512M Rookie

Nov 20, 2014
    with the new guideline for E-test, we only need to plug the car to and OBD II reader to make sure there are no error codes right?

i don't understand why the mechanic said i need to let them do a drive cycle for the car first for about an hour of driving the car..... with F car driving for an hour is putting on kms on cars ....

has this happen to anyone before?

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If the battery had been disconnected or if an error code was cleared from for the computer then the car needs to be driven for a while for the computer to cycle out and allow the test to be clear.

If you are concerned with mileage being put on your car then you may want to consider trading in for a Honda or Toyota :D

1995F512M likes this.
  3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Trade your Ferrari in for a mountain bike. This way you don't have to etest and there's no odometer that keeps track of kms

4. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    If the car is OBD1, just a sniffer test. If it's OBD2, it's plugged in. The drive cycle they're referring to is the monitor readiness issue. If you have two or more monitors (cat sensor, PCV sensor, etc) 'not ready' (essentially that they haven't had enough uninterrupted driving to compare emissions to the baseline under most conditions), the car will automatically fail.
    The way to ensure they're all ready is to drive about 125 kms, with a specific mix of speeds, accelerations, idling etc. It's a pain, but necessary.

5. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    Such a pile of crap invented by some Canadian Tire execs who got rich and swallowed hook line and sinker by government drones.

My Rossion Q1 had no cats, no pollution mods etc. Yet plug in the ODB2 reader and it would report "Ready all the time". It's just programming on the honour system - and with the government, there is no honour.

Want to stop pollution in Ontario, shut down the Ohio valley mfg.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  6. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I did my degree in film and television production. We had labs at Rogers Cable. One show we taped was the minister of transport explaining the E-test when it first came out. They had executives from a chain of muffler shops there to help explain it. I've always felt it was a waste of time and money. I was glad when BC ended their testing program.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You can scan the car and find out what systems "are not ready". If I see 2 or more, I hand the car back to the customer and tell them to drive the car for a few days and put 100km on it. Bring it back and I'll check it before it goes for etest. If all is good..i know it will pass.

Or you could register the car in Timmons Ontario and drive without ever needing an etest.

8. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    How do you register a car in Timmins if it's already Ontario plated?

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Isn't Timmins in Ontario?

10. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    The province
    The Province is split when it comes to e-test rerquirements.

Register in Timmins? - need an address there? Adopt an Indian.

11. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I think the demarcation line is much father south--think North Bay (for Ottawa folks) or just north of Muskoka (for GTA ones). Basically a half-day's drive. Getting a mailbox suite there isn't difficult...