E Jordan: Hami to Ferrari, Merc quitting | Page 5 | FerrariChat

E Jordan: Hami to Ferrari, Merc quitting

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

LOL

At this point in time, there is no comparison between Hamilton and Vettel from a prospective team manager's point of view.

One has been a constant success for the last 6 years.

The other one has been nothing but failure.

I think Toto Wolff knows that, so why should he hesitate?

I am only stating facts (recognised by his own team), so don't accuse me of being starstruck here.

tifosi12, ktu and Terra like this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    :)

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    One TEAM has been a constant success throughout the hybrid era. As John Surtees said of Lewis, " He is the better driver in the best car." LOL

classic308, SimCity3 and Bas like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

LH - He has certainly taken advantage of a good car. Minimized mistakes for the most of it and doing what he is expected to do. Maximise results for the team and himself. We should hope Ferrari are aiming for this now.

william likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You can't blame Mercedes for their success.
    Ferrari should try harder!

6. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    If Mercedes quits and Hammy is out of a job then Ferrari does not need him to win a championship. IMO

classic308 and Igor Ound like this.
  7. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    But there is ALWAYS turnover - just go back and look at the last 40 years history of it.
    The only one that matters is the red cars from Italy, if they leave, then turn off the lights and close the door,
    because few will care about F1 after that.

classic308 and Igor Ound like this.
  8. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Why not? Porsche did it, Audi did it, Jag, Puegeot, Bentley, teams come and go.... the list is long (speaking mainly of endurance racing),
    but in F1, Renault quit, came back, quit, came back, Honda, Toyota, TAG, BMW (engines), nothing new here...

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Isobel, 635CSI and tifosi12 like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

It's easy to be faultless in a car that's comfortably the fastest, even on an off day. It becomes significantly harder to be faultless when you're in a car that struggles to be faster than the Mercedes when they're on a bad day and Ferrari on a great day...the car is overdriven and much more on the limit.

Am I making excuses for Vettel? No.

Just stating the facts here.

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

No but you could see someone do a 312T2, after all it is only steel, aluminum, a bit of magnesium, and a flat engine.

SimCity3 likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But at times Vettel HAD the faster car, and messed up when he was ahead.
    He lost the championship in 2017 and 2018 because he couldn't handle the pressure .

fer312t and ricksb like this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

There was only a handful of times in those 2 seasons combined (!) that the Ferrari was genuinely the faster car. Most of them time it was well behind the Mercedes. The car wasn't as reliable, either. Bad strategy calls where as much to blame as Vettel.

Ferrari needed a perfect season to have a chance at the title, and needed Mercedes to mess up. Mercedes rarely did, Ferrari messed up far more. To blame Vettel solely for losing the championships is extremely naive.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I am like that, naive. :p:p:p

I understand now: when Ferrari/Vettel mess up, it's Mercedes' fault. :):):)

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Seems your reading skills are becoming worse as the minutes tick on.

16. MonacoHedge

MonacoHedge Rookie

Apr 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    soren lindberg
    Sunseeker is closed at the moment so he had time over to comment.

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Oh, I almost had forgotten it: Eddie Jordan owes me another €.

18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Don't make excuses, you constantly blame Lewis for not driving good in the 2009 Mclaren, even though F1 drivers disagree. So stop trying to find excuses for Vettel. Mercedes has made mistakes as well, far from perfect team, infact their is no "perferct" team in F1 history. Man up and admit Lewis made Vettel look bad the last few years. Don't complicate it.

william likes this.
  19. DF1

Vettel and Ferrari made themselves look bad. No one assisted them. They had/have the resources to succeed and did not. By making themselves look bad, Mercedes appear to be looking stronger. In terms of driving LH has made fewer critical errors.

ktu and william like this.
  20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think there is a very real possibility Vettel is at Merc in 2021. Toto seemed keen on the idea of a German driving for a German team.

21. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    The 145m USD budget seems a win for most. But now Ferrari are sniffing other series so it could be these teams will diversify and not put all their eggs in one basket- also being able to maneuver personnel around and not lose them. Would love to see Ferrari in the Hypercar class when it comes to fruition ;)

DF1 likes this.
  22. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    That would be A OK with me!!! But it’s a long shot, Bottas has been a good second and solid driver getting wins occasionally. Joe Saward thought Vettel at Renault could be a great pairing and as time passes I think that “could” be a legitimate pick for them. They hate the revolving door mentality and though Riciardo is fast he didn’t seem invested but took the money and sold them a story. I think his head and wallet are getting a bit big now, he is jumping around a lot.

based on some good intel, Renault is not looking bad at all after winter testing so don’t be surprised to see a brutal fight between 3 teams for 4th best!!!

One thing is certain to me, Vettel will be driving more relaxed and will want to prove his worth, he’s not going to lay down and whimper quietly in the corner. Watch him go!!

23. DF1

Vettel will not be at Mercedes if this link is accurate. Also I now think Ferrari were never serious about keeping Vettel beyond this season. Charles and Sainz were the priority.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolff-sebastian-vettel/

william likes this.
  24. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    I guess it was always going to be a very small shot for him to land the ride, but even if Merc were seriously considering him, they would keep it under wraps for a good long time. Toto has already spoke of how disruptive it is to announce a switch before a season has even started. I agree, it just makes sense. I would expect both Renault and Merc will take a few months and see how things go before making any decisions. If they are looking big picture, both teams would look at grabbing him for next year. Especially if Lewis wins again this year, a potential record season next year with two champions.....dunno Daimler may push the issue hard on that one. You will never get a chance like that ever again, and if you basically own all the records anyway why not add that marketing golden egg.

Can’t wait to read between the lines and see what happens in July, HUGE bag of popcorn for this abbreviated season!