E Jordan: Hami to Ferrari, Merc quitting | Page 2 | FerrariChat

E Jordan: Hami to Ferrari, Merc quitting

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    oeuf a la coque

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Plus FIA complacency​

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  3. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Plus FIA complacency

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, any diminution of F1 has been with FIA complicity, if not outright implementation. I’m looking at you, Napoleon Todt. Organizations like that have an obsession with “progress.” Sometimes the best solution is to maintain a good situation, or even to take a step or two back. But they have to be seen as “doing something.” Fiddling with tire regulations, qualifying formats, restrictions on testing, rules directed toward making the sport “relevant,” massive expansion of venues, etc., have all diminished the sport, in my opinion.

SimCity3 likes this.
  5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I would agree. In Todt's/FIA's defense I can understand the need to make F1 PC and give it a green touch (KERS). Not sure that is still required now that Formula E is around. Maybe we could go back to more basic engines and racing. I bet the fans wouldn't mind hearing a 3 liter normally aspirated motor over a tiny turbo with fuel flow restrictions.

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Anything that moves F1 away from being a spec series and artifices like the current tire regulations would be an improvement. Make the sport, the regulations and the cars less complex , not more so. Make success more about what happens in the cockpit and less about what happens on the pit wall and in the data center back in the U.K.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What happens back in the data centers is what makes the cars go faster.
    Making cars go faster and faster continuously has always been what F1 was about. And not just in the modern era.

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, not really. If anything, regulations in recent years have been more about limiting speed, either through engine restrictions, tire manipulation, aero limitations, fuel consumption limits, etc. What happens in the cockpit should be more important than what happens in the data centers. Besides, technology has made driverless cars possible, so if ultimate speed is decided by a guy sitting at a console in a clean room, why not just go with that?

SimCity3 likes this.
  9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Possibly some would, but not all. F1 has always been looking forward and seen as a source of progress and innovation.
    The future of F1 will not be to visit memory lane, I'm pretty sure.
    If F1 was to go back to NA V10 engines as advocated by some on this forum, the manufacturers would walk away.
    What would the point for them to invest in old technology just to race, when their products are all turbo hybrids to abide by emission laws?
    It wouldn't make sense, IMO, for Mercedes and else to go 20 years back in design. It would be counter-productive from a marketing point of view.
    If an independent small engine builder was to provide the grid with NA V10s, that could be different, but I guess it wouldn't be financially viable.

10. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    F1 is dead, no matter what Hamilton or Ferrari do or don't do. Its time has passed. It is a giant money pit that no manufacturer needs in the global economy. Just as movies are now made by video streaming companies, auto racing (in all its forms) will also become VR games. COVID 19 and the damage it has done to this season is the excuse the players need to call it a day and walk away. If they run this years cars in an abbreviate 10 to 12 races next year, that will be it.

ferrariformulauno likes this.
  11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There is that. No doubt.

However we still have polo and horse races. And sailing yacht regattas. F1 as a throwback would be a fan pleaser IMHO.

ago car nut and SimCity3 like this.
  12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

And not just that.
    The majority of viewers don't give a toss as to the engine tech-spec, just as they don't give a toss to the racket technology in tennis. And yet Wimbledon gets rammed each year (2020 excepted)

Audiences arrive to watch exciting races and a soundtrack which was other-worldly.

F1 has gone A Bit Beige in the last 7 years

13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I hope he makes the move. Ferrari will finally win again.

14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    F1 could be all the better for losing the big money. Think back to the golden years of F1 in the '50s and '60s. No ridiculous salaries for the likes of Moss, Brabham and Clark, no big budgets for Cooper, Lotus and Tyrrell. The most successful F1 engine of all time developed with a budget of £100K. Room for privateers like Rob Walker and Ken Tyrrell. No cars done up like a dog's breakfast, just national colours. Races won by great drivers in outclassed cars like Fangio in the '57 German GP, or Moss at Monaco in '61. Great racing, great days!

15. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    Daimler wants them to be self sustaining which is not easy, add to that if they win this year and now the “static” cars for next year they will have all the records and may not keep going.

16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

LeClerc is only getting faster. Hamilton is slowing down

stavura likes this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Completely agree.
    Exciting NA engines that live and breath could now be had for around £300K I believe.

Cheap as chips and will sound almost as good as the Valkyrie street car.

It wasn't so long ago that F1 cars sounded better than street cars.....

18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They are quite comfortable over all is Mercedes - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146346/mercedes-reveals-cost-of-2018-f1-title-win

The Mercedes Formula 1 team earned and spent almost the same amount in 2018 as it did in 2017, newly released accounts have revealed.

The team's income, from F1 prize money, sponsorship and parent company Daimler AG, rose from £337.2m in 2017 to £338.4m last year.

Expenditure increased from £309.7m to £311.4m, resulting in a post tax profit of £13.3m.

Income and expenditure had previously made a significant jump from 2016 to 2017, with the latter figures reflecting the R&D costs associated with the major F1 rules changes introduced that season.

The fact that its expenditure essentially stayed the same in 2018 suggests that Mercedes opted to maintain that level of investment in a period of relatively stable rules.

However there is no outward sign yet of the team addressing the cost cap that is coming in 2021, and which will force the big three teams to trim spending and inevitably head counts.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Over the past three seasons average staff numbers have risen from 849 in 2016 to 912 in 2017 and to 968 in 2018, with 38 added last year in design, manufacturing and engineering, and 19 in administration.

That contributed to the 2018 wage bill increasing by £6.5m from £87.2m to £93.7m.

The marketing revenue contribution of Daimler AG to the team's budget is listed as £64.3m, around £4m more than the previous year.

However £25.3m is returned by the team - reflecting the leasing cost of the power units supplied by sister company HPP.

That leaves a net Daimler contribution of less than £40m.

Mercedes enjoyed a 24% share of F1's TV coverage in 2018, which represents an AER (Advertising Value Equivalent) of $3.7bn for its commercial partners.

In emphasising the value of the F1 programme the team says: "In parallel to the team's success in recent seasons, the Mercedes-Benz brand has grown in value from $31.9bn in 2013 to $48.6bn in 2018 (as measured by Interbrand), with F1 making an important contribution to the brand's status as the eighth most valuable in the world."

paulchua likes this.
  19. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    It’s last years numbers combined with this years losses that will tell the tale.

20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    If Merc quite of course he would go to Ferrari. He can beat RB with the Fcar all day long, no other competition.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The losses matter but in the larger scheme they will have an issue this year mostly. Assume next year yields a full season. Remaining in F1 does not appear to be a major resource drain, coupled with the new lower team budgets mandated. The power 3 of teams, Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes will not suffer greatly just yet I feel.

22. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Never underestimate Ferrari's ability to lose!

tifosi12 and william like this.
  23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thanks for sharing.
    I have no love for them, but I want MB in the sport.
    I just want SF to beat them fair and square.
    As for Louis, I’m not sure if its the right move for us, but if it happens then he will have my support.
    My main focus is on Charles but I don’t see HAM as a more difficult team mate than VET.

nk

DF1 likes this.
  24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    To whom?
    To a team with a currently uncompetitive car:: the data centers are more important !
    To the fans who simply root for F1:: it is the race -- cars and drivers
    To fans who root for one team:: it depends on whether the team is capable of winning today or not (data center).
    To the fans who root for one driver:: it depends on what his team is currently capable of.....

lorenzobandini likes this.
  25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That $100K is $800K in today's dollars.
    Second, that engine went from just over 300 HP in 1968 to just over 500 HP only with continuous development funds from both F1 and Indy cars one in NA gasoline form the other in 2.4L turbo methanol form.

But realistically, it was Renault's pneumatic valve springs that took NA cars from 500 HP (200 HP/litré) to 900+HP (300 HP/Litré) when the rules switched to small turbo hybrids.

william likes this.