E Jordan: Hami to Ferrari, Merc quitting | FerrariChat

E Jordan: Hami to Ferrari, Merc quitting

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Would be sweet to see Hamilton in a Ferrari. Bring it on!

355TDI, Flavio_C and Joseph Felton like this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Eddie Jordan? ok

F2003-GA and TheMayor like this.
  3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    If I was given 1 € each time somebody has said Hamilton to Ferrari I´d be millionaire.

And if I was given another one each time Eddie Jordan has missed it I´d be wealthier than Bill Gates.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Eddie Jordan keeps bringing up the subjet, so I take that announcement with a pinch of salt.
    I personally would be very disappointed if Hamilton was to move to Ferrari because Mercedes leaves F1.
    I don't think the Scuderia is the right environment for Hamilton to thrive.
    Mercedes leaving at some point is predictable; racing is not their core business.
    For Ferrari, it would fit with their tradition of recrutingt former WDCs at the end of their career.

Thomas S. likes this.
  5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    F1 drivers loved to go to Ferrari to have the best car on the grid and win the title. That was a long time ago.

So now it has become the golden retirement home for aging WDCs: They've done everything and accomplished everything. The only thing left is to go to Ferrari to have driven for the Scuderia once.

Kinda fitting to talk about this on May 4. Senna was about to join Ferrari in the following year.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Ferrari response to Hamilton:

7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Tradition ?
    How far back ?

stavura and ingegnere like this.
  8. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    Would be the blockbuster move of ages BUT... it wouldn’t benefit any party involved. If ferrari were smart they would build around the next multi-champion LeClerc and hire Bottas or another #2. Hamilton is too expensive nor does he fit with Ferrari culture and current ineptitude. He has driven for teams that are generally well-oiled machines. Ferrari is currently anything but that. LeClerc is the answer with a cheap number 2 driver.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If merc quits, Hamilton to Ferrari....Hamilton and Leclerc fight. All Red Bull need to do is build a half decent car and finish races. Easy championship.

SimCity3 likes this.
  10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The Eddie Jordan crystal bowl: Predict every single move imaginable, wait for one to pay off, wait for Eddie to announce how he knew it all along.

11. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    Precisely this only benefits their biggest rival. Makes zero sense.

DF1, william and Bas like this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yep. Leclerc will only get stronger...Ferrari will be shooting themselves in the foot (again), and paying through the nose for the privilege.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  13. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    Exactly. If Ferrari builds a good car, LeClerc is world champion. So why would they “invest” in Hamilton. As far as I know he’s not known as a development expert. Nor are we in the era where drivers can test and test to even do so. They will just have a repeat of Alonso/Ham at McL.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly so. When Hamilton is in a car that he doesn't like he is very good at telling the team that he doesn't like the car, but that doesn't make it go much faster. As we saw in 2010 till 2012...he becomes disinterested quite quickly and starts making mistakes (not unlike Vettel, mistakes wise at least).

Why Mercedes succeeds is because they have such an enormous work force, everyone is free to do and explore as they like, and their culture within the team is really good....ideas are encouraged. Ferrari? Well we've been watching them implode for years now. Ferrari have a blame culture and when something doesn't work, the man responsible can find himself looking for another job (and more often than not, ends up at Mercedes anyways, where his ideas are developed further and end up being part of another championship winning car!). It's amazing Ferrari is 3rd in the championship still.

Boomhauer and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Reading the above posts, I can only see good reasons why Hamilton should never join Ferrari.
    That would be a monumental clash of culture, that wouldn't benefit either side.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I´ve said it many times, but in case that anyone is interested, I´ll repeat my opinion again: Ferrari is still going up, and Hamilton from now on can only go down. When Ferrari gets to a point they have a good car Hamilton will be an old grumpy has-been. I don´t see the point for both of them. Ferrari needs someone younger and don´t afraid of passing through some years of dirty work. For Hamilton it would be wiser to enjoy the time Mercedes is at the top and when the party is over quit with grace.

ross, stavura, MalcQV and 6 others like this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I actually think its possible Merc could quit. They've done what they wanted to do. Is it worth the investment?

william likes this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

FE can be Mercs R&D Lab for street cars

F1 should have no design relevance with street cars.
    Close racing and spectacle is what matters

Jack-the-lad and Bas like this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think it's more than likely that the 3 constructors (Mercedes, Honda and Renault) will leave F1 within the next 5 years, 10 at most.
    First, there will be the aftermath of Covid-19 to take care of, with the massive slump in car sales.
    The board of these companies will have a job to explain frivilous expenses like F1 to the shareholders whilst they close factories.
    Then, if a budget cap is introduced, F1 will stop to be the experimental ground it is now.

Isobel likes this.
  20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Sent to me this evening - Todt is concerned about the 'exodus'

https://jalopnik.com/fia-boss-jean-todt-is-worried-about-a-motorsport-mass-e-1843270392

21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

F1 could have binned the overly expensive hybrid PU's years ago. F1 could have lowered the cost cap years ago. Saved cash would have been a useful buffer for the teams.

You snooze....you loose.

22. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
  23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Renault were the ones insisting on it. Things worked out magnificently for them since...noot!

stavura, SimCity3 and 375+ like this.
  24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

That's the French Government for you.

Complete scrambled egg

Simon^2 and Jack-the-lad like this.