Dumbell bench press Vs Barbell bench press | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dumbell bench press Vs Barbell bench press

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by WILLIAM H, Aug 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Seperated my right shoulder 10 years ago and have never been able to bench since without pain for days following. DB's for me. Also if you think about the muscles required to do DB press you need more stabilizers as each arm has to control seperately. Increased functionality IMO.

2. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Like I said before, bench press doesn't really have any "real world" strength benefits. Overhead press, squat, deadlift, and bent over row are all much more functional exercises... and what I use as a rubric for strength. If a guy can only bench 185 but can pull 500 on deadlift, he's a strong mother.

3. rebel

rebel Rookie

Jul 24, 2009
    I find dumbbell presses to be a much better exercise for me. They are much more comfortable and I feel like I'm getting a better workout.

4. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dumbbells for me

Beev

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Dumbbells only.

CW

6. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I avoid chest exercises altogether, but as far as any type of exercise I think it's good to vary what you do so your body doesn't become accustomed to the same thing and adapt to it and therefore make the exercise less effective.

7. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That's very true, although most people that need to switch their exercises a lot aren't working very hard.

8. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Each has its benefits. Barbells put a huge strain on the shoulder joints (but they are a big mass builder like squats). Over time if you do not vary your grip,weight, and rep range you will do serious damage. Dumbells are much safer and bring in many other stabilizers as previously mentioned. The main problem with dumbells is that they are not great mass builders. At the limit it is very easy to tear/strain muscles because of the lack of stabilization. I try do my heavy work with the barbell, then finish with dumbells. I will also start out on dumbells and finish with the barbell alternating workouts. Another trick is to alternate flat vs incline vs decline on subsequent workouts in rotational order.
    Just my 2 cents fellas. There are still things I don't do in the gym anymore like heavy squats!!! ;o)

9. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You can't just do 1 exercise for anything. You gotta switch it up. Flat bench has many benefits too.

10. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Dumbells all the way. I can go to failure using them and not need a spotter which is good because sometimes I am the only one in the gym. I also use them for military press.

11. Way2Fun

Way2Fun Karting

Jul 6, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris D.
    Variety is the spice of life -- even when lifting weights. Getting into a specific routine will eventually lead to no new gains.

12. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #37 Huskerbill, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's weird, they seem to work okay for me. ;-)

(I haven't done a flat or incline barbell press in about 10 years).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congrats on your physique. I'm not going to post pics on here, but I will say it depends on what your goals are. A good example I will give you is that I can easily do sets of military press with 225 on a barbell. I would not try to do that with > 100lb dumbells because of the lack of stability. I would absolutely require a spotter on both arms at that point to feel safe. (not to mention it is a PIA to get anything into starting position that weighs much more than 80-90pnds) Best wishes for the New Year, and keep on pumping iron! Scott

14. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks! ;-)

I get the whole 225lb barbell but not 100lb dumbell as the weights don't correllate. 200lb barbell work is not the same as 100lb dumbell work even though the total poundage is the same. But it sounds like you get that already.

Where do you workout? I spent the first 31 year of my life in Wisconsin until I moved out here 4 years ago. I used to work out at JTs Gym and Fitness in Mukwonago (a ton of good bodybuilders came out of there). Then Kehl's Health and Fitness in East Troy (worked out with Mike Kehl). Ford's in Madison. Brickyard Gym in south Milwaukee was a cool place I worked out at a few times. Bally's in downtown Milwaukee. Trying to remember where else I worked out.

15. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Bill, I've worked out all over the place! ;o) In milwaukee I started at the Brickyard in the late 80s-early 90s. I know Kenny pretty well, you wouldnt recognize him these days he's gotten so slim. I worked out at the Klotsche center (UWM) while in undergrad. UABs gym while in Alabama, and Golds in FT. Lauderdale while in med-school. When I moved back up here I had a Ballys membership for a few years, and switched over to Snap for the last couple of years. I like the snaps because I work late and can go whenever I want. I am starting to run out of machine weights there, but I vary my work-outs to adapt to what they have. Ocassionally I'll go to LA fitness or other gyms with friends.
    Keep on working out. I am much more careful with my knees, shoulders, and back these days. Having a greay physique is important, but not to the point of sacrificing mobility or longevity. Scott

16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Pffftt......you're not big at all. Just a bunch of flab :D;)

17. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Yeah Kenny Weber. I remember him. I had heard he was a pretty good good sized guy back in the day when he was hitting it hard. I knew him around '98-03 or so. Was always a nice guy. I think he might have even been a judge in a show I did back then.

I have a Snap by me but it looks so small and no one is in there. I actually drive by it to get to my gym. I have a setup in my garage if I need it (late nights or whatever).

18. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    240lbs of total crap. I make a nice before picture. Ha!

19. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    The guy I had been lifting with broke his hand so I've switched up to dumbell for my chest the last 3 weeks. It's helped me more with my pushups than anything. I look forward to going back to the bench and reporting any difference in strength.

You're looking good Husker.

20. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Gracias!

Any updates?

21. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Without getting into the exact physics of a Barbell vs. Db's all you have to do is look at your goal, which is Pec major development...I'm sure 99% of people will say, and what role/motion that muscle favors and it's obvious Db's are superior.
    The Pec major primarily produces horizontal adduction, arms out to the side at 90 degrees and pulling inward to be touching straight in front of you. Holding a barbell with a fixed grip eliminates almost half of that range of hz. adduction whereas DB's complete the motion touching infront/ontop of the chest.
    Every angle on a bench is viable too, not just flat, decline, and 45 degree incline. Since the Pec is a fan shaped muscle every angle from 10 degrees of decline all the way to 180, overhead/incline should be explored and rotated/varied.
    -Billy