Dumbell bench press Vs Barbell bench press | FerrariChat

Dumbell bench press Vs Barbell bench press

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by WILLIAM H, Aug 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Which do you prefer and why ?

I'm doing dumbell press now and I like them. They allow the shoulder to move in a more natural way

Ocasionally I go back to barbell bench press and my shoulders feel a little strange.

I usually do 80 # dumbell press and 225# on barbell

Was talking to a guy at gym after I did some 90# incline presses. He said to b careful bcus the dumbell press puts different stresses on your shoulders and they are less stable than barbell

2. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    That`s funny... I used to do 100-110lb on the DB`s but could barely get 185 up on the barbell. Never made any sense.

3. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    Both, because ....
    That instability is good to strengthen the muscles in order to control the dumbbells better. As in all weight-lifting, the key is not to try putting up too much weight that might throw off proper form. But as BB is more stable, it's usually the method with which most people can push more weight, which is also important. If you have access to both DB and BB, there is no reason to choose only one. Personally, I alternate between BB and DB every time I want to do BPs.

Another thing that I see a lot of people do with BB bench press is bounce the bar off their chest. Not only is that cheating, but it's a great way to damage the sternum.

4. ICEcap

ICEcap Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    I workout solo, so dumbell presses are a pain to safely get them into position and them to put them down. So I do barbell press on a power rack. I do think it would be a good idea to do both.

5. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Dumbells are great for your "heavy" lifts. Should be used at an incline to preserve natural shoulder physiology. Even going heavy (120lbs or more) is only putting 240 total pound weight on your joints and, for most people, 120lb dumbells are enough to get or stay big.

Locking your arms into a static position (i.e. grabbing a barbell) is not a smart thing to do. I obviously used to do barbell for football when I played (mostly for testing purposes rather than functional use) but have switched my flat motions to close-grip bench at 225lbs on the barbell for high reps (20+ on each set).

If you have to do a flat exercise, do close-grip bench with your hands about shoulder width apart. This will give you the safest range of motion for your shoulders.

So, 3 sets of incline dumbells and 3 sets of higher rep close grip bench and you will notice some NICE gains along with safe lifts that will allow you to still be lifting 10 years from now.

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    could be shoulders, triceps, abs. All sorts of variables. I find it easier to push up weight if I contract my abs

7. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Similar thing would happen to me. Actually I would 90-100lb on flat, 80-90lb on incline and 225lb on incline barbell press, but had the hardest time doing at least 2-3 reps of 225lb on flat bench barbell.

8. Kev33

Kev33 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    First off, I'm a bench press freak. I bench 365 @ 170 BW. I prefer barbell bench press because it's a lot more stable and balanced than dumbells. I use the dumbells for flyes. The issue you speak of about shoulder pain with flat barbell bench press is most likely caused by not arching your back. When you're laying flat your shoulders come into play a lot more than when you have a slight arch in your back. Just make sure you don't lift your butt; there is nothing wrong with arching your back-bench press competitors use an extreme arch. Hope this helps a little with that shoulder issue.

Kevin

9. bobby355

bobby355 Karting

May 21, 2009
    I can hardly bench a spaghetti noodle.

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I can bench 2 w tomato sauce :)

11. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    all weights put stress on one's body. I prefer the DB for the reason you mentioned- natural movement. + I feel like it also helps w/ my smaller stablizer muscles.

12. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I like to use dumbbell bench on an exercise ball. Can't use as much weight, obviously, but it works the core at the same time trying to stabilize everything.

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I did that till I sprained my neck using too much weight. Have to use the real bench now

14. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    me too!

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This.

I went years with only doing dumbbells, but now use both. It definitely works the chest differently.

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    DB press. Barbell does not feel comfortable to me.

17. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    cooked or raw?

:)

18. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Like others have said, they both do different things.

I work out for utility and not vanity, so I haven't done anything like a decline or incline bench in a long time. I still do flat bench purely for its work capacity and overall strength benefits, and because of that I tend to use a BB instead of DB's. I also do Kettel Bell presses as part of a cardio cycle. That said, most of my chest workout is pushups in various forms (mostly done as part of another exercise, like burpees, because pushups bore the tar out of me). I can still 1RM 315 or so, which is enough for me.

The actual motion of forward pressing that a bench press emulates is, to me, pretty useless. Big chest muscles do look cool, though.

19. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I do both.

I've been noticing better results with the dumbell vs the barbell for me though.

20. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I do an assortment. For flat, dumbbells. For decline, either dumb or bar. For incline, I use a plate loaded machine b/c it is the only thing that my shoulders tolerate.

21. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I do dumbbells only. I feel like I have more freedom in my movement. It is also harder. I use up to 105 lbs now. Usually, sets of 80 90 then 105. I use up to 90 on incline. I think the bar locks you in too much.

22. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The freedom of movement, and henceforth, the auxiliary muscle development is great, but in the real world, if you are using the bench press motion it is almost always locked together (e.g. pushing a fridge, shoving a guy in a fight, etc.). That, and there is a lot to be said for total work capacity, i.e. total weight being moved, which will always be greater with a barbell bench.

23. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Using dumbells vs. a bar for bench press activities requires much more shoulder stability. To increase the weight used for dumbells you must increase the strength of the rotator cuff.

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Lots of good points to consider here

I still usually do dumbell just bcus I usually workout at my Bldg gym. When I get a chance to hit a real gym I do barbell for something different

25. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Good discussion and I don't know which is better but I do believe in the real world that I am still stronger than a bench guy with similar size. Whatever that means.