Duct heading towards Alternator? | FerrariChat

Duct heading towards Alternator?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Albert Penello, Feb 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Working on my cam belts, and I noticed there is a large C clamp mounted on a heat shield behind the engine on the passenger side. There is also an air duct that points down towards the engine compartment.

I was watching a video and noticed what looked like a silver hose (similar to what's coming off the back of the alternator) that's being held by that clamp.

I can't find this part on any diagram, and I'm not ever sure what it's supposed to connect to or point at.

(I took a screen grab and it's the silver duct in the lower right corner)

Any ideas? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Cooling vent.

3. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    That could be it! Where does it point or what is it directed towards?

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Where you have it mounted is the correct position. The end pointing towards the motor is open. That end doesn't connect to anything, it just vents cool air to the front of the motor. Mid-engine cars have been known to have cooling issues. This is just one solution that helps with cooling.

5. jelliott

jelliott Karting

Mar 8, 2010
    Seattle, USA
    Full Name:
    Joe Elliott
    So is corrugated aluminum really the correct material for these? And how long is aft one (69 in the above diagram) and where is it supposed to be secured? (My car has the forward one, looking very much like the photo above, but I'm missing the aft one.)

6. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    I just PM'd you.

Yeah it's pretty straightforward. I have a cabrio, and the passenger side intake on the rear fender has a large port that goes to the fuel distributor, and a small round port which is connected to a pretty heavy-weight corrugated aluminum duct. It's not thin like you get a parts store. There is a large hose-clamp (looks the same as the rubber covered clamps used for the wiring harness) that holds the duct in place, and it points to the back of the engine and starter area. I suspect because the cabriolets are a little tighter there this just provides some additional cooling. It's pretty easy to install but a bit of a pain to get to the nut that holds on the hose clamp. All makes sense once you see it.