Ducati vs Japanese bikes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ducati vs Japanese bikes

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by DevonL, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Cool video comparing 848 Evo, R6 and Daytona 675:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uj0jQTbTIE&feature=related[/ame]

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  3. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Wow that looks absolutely unbelievable! Good pick I'd say!

4. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    #29 chouch, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    This bike is based on a Ducati Hypermotard and belongs to founding member of the Sex Pistols, Steve Jones.

5. mmaltersmd

mmaltersmd Karting

Sep 16, 2010
    chicago
    Full Name:
    matt
    riding the desmo is like anything else thats super high performance. super stiff, hot as hell, burn a 4 gallon fuel tank in 80 miles,and roasts through tires in 1600 miles. I would not trade it for anything. that thing is fast as hell and sounds like no other duc i have ever heard. Its one of my favorite things. The bike disappoints many who own it. This is prob due to the fact that the dont realize what they have and expect it to be as practical and reliable as a regular bike.every time i start it and that moto gp termignoini pipe starts blowing the oily smoke i get so excited.
    matt

6. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    I would certainly imagine it to be a very non conventional bike to ride and or own. It comes with a hefty price tag and being a true race bred bike I'd imagine it requires a bit of upkeep. Either way, I can see why that bike always puts a smile on your face!

7. mmaltersmd

mmaltersmd Karting

Sep 16, 2010
    chicago
    Full Name:
    matt
    picked the desmosedici up from the dealer for a throttle body warranty issue. First ride of the season went through a couple of gears and before you know it 155. man that thing is fast.

8. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John

Yep, and the front wheel probably didn't come down to about 125! I have one too. amazing machine. I still prefer riding my 1098R....it just works better for me, but I have spent much more time setting it up properly.

9. mmaltersmd

mmaltersmd Karting

Sep 16, 2010
    chicago
    Full Name:
    matt
    thats great, surprised to hear you like your 1098r more:)

10. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I had a chance to ride one of the 990 MotoGP bike at Vegas in 07. I assume the street bike is similar, just a little slower and heavier. It was awesome, but nothing I'd want to ride on the street, way too much power, 90% of it unusable, and if you don't have the electronics set way down low, too much wheel spin, and too many wheelies, even when you're not trying. To put this in perspective: Admittedly, I'm well past my prime, but at one point I did have a National Number, so I suspect my skills are probably on a par with the average amateur racer today.

The main thing I noticed as the acceleration. There didn't seem to be any straights, by the time you got the gas fully on, it was time to brake for the next corner. Took some of the fun in riding out of it, but still a huge rush.

Art

11. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    R1's have gone through some pretty big changes in the last 5 years.

Narrow that down some.

The 2011 R1 is a VERY different beast than the 2006.

12. mmaltersmd

mmaltersmd Karting

Sep 16, 2010
    chicago
    Full Name:
    matt
    #37 mmaltersmd, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
    yeah, the desmo has no electronics to dampen power, no traction control, and no, not to much wheel spin, and no, not to much power to use. I wish i had more.
    matt

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The R7 is one of my favorite Japanese bikes and it's paintscheme still looks badass. :cool: The price is way too much...$25k, yikes.

14. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I found out that a guy I have been playing hockey with over the last few years has a R7 and a 0W01 in his collection. He bought them from an elderly widow who was selling her husbands bikes. He paid a pretty penny but they are smooth.

15. mmaltersmd

mmaltersmd Karting

Sep 16, 2010
    chicago
    Full Name:
    matt
    the owo1 was my favorite bike in the 90s that thing is awesome. i wish i could see it.

16. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    spent time on a lot of different bikes. the ducatis (up until the 1198) have always been lookers but just too underpowered compared to the japanese counterparts. MV agustas have always had the looks and power to match, but they are very pricey and few people even know what they are.

My current ride is a modified R1 making 162hp at the wheel. It's very fast and a ton of fun, but I would like to add a ducati at some point to my stable. I'm just waiting for the new one that's supposed to be ground breaking to come out. I've heard rumors the bike will be lighter, and push 200hp. We shall see if it lives up to the hype.

17. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    great bike, but the cost of admission is too high for almost everyone. I was just looking at a few for sale on ebay last night, i think they were both priced around 50k.

18. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'll have to search for a pic. I thought he sent me one but I don't recall exactly.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, since the the influx of several hundred million dollars from HD, an MV Agusta is now affordable to the masses. A 2010 F4 1000R has an MSRP of $18,500 which is not that far more that some of the other liter bikes, and even less than some.

20. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    I have owned several jap bikes, and many italian bikes, I currently own a ducati. I have read some comments that the maintenance costs are much higher on the ducati, I have to disagree with my experience its about the same. basic motorcycle maintenance (tires, brake pads, ect) are about the same price on any bike. Ducatis need to have the cam belts changed every so often, but thats not really a major job. so what has everyone noticed are the major maintenance costs associated with ducatis over jap bikes?

21. TexasKid

TexasKid Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 13, 2011
    As a former owner of R6's (I had 2 for street & 1 for track), R1, Hayabusa & a Ducati 1098 I can say that there are pro's & con's to both.

The Ducati was uncomfortable, short powerband (forget about long wheelies), and just overall fickle...but the SOUND was amazing and of course there's the respect factor you get as well as having the best handling available...and as said previously, there will always be something faster but you'll have the prettiest and most exotic.

The Yamaha's are alot of fun...quick, good handling and easy to maintain...but you're a dime a dozen.

The Hayabusa was by far the most comfortable & fastest but it's a big fat pig to handle.

22. f1nxlife

f1nxlife Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 11, 2010
    harbor city ., calif
    Full Name:
    brett falcigno
    #47 f1nxlife, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    No one has...and no one will ever beat japanese sport bikes when It comes to price..reliability..ease of service..and their insane performance...and looks..they are the best package all around....as well as their race heritage.....inline four cylinder motors are the best in the world...period

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Japanese and German performance cars beat Ferrari road cars too as far as price, reliability, ease of service and performance too. But, what had you rather have in your garage?

24. f1nxlife

f1nxlife Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 11, 2010
    harbor city ., calif
    Full Name:
    brett falcigno
    #49 f1nxlife, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    i see the point your trying to make,,but i dont believe comparing jap and italian bikes are the same as comparing german-jap cars to Ferraris...jap bikes are every bit as sexy and good looking as italian bikes,,and frankly,,,you cant compare a Ferrari to any other car in the world,(,except a Lambo .,of course).,.Ferraris are in their own world...period.,,,thats not the case with Italian motorcycles.,.,,and their getting their azz es handed to them in Moto GP...not that im cool with that,,,I love Rossi,,,Rossi is King...Long Live the King...lol,,,Ducati has made 3 bad azz bikes....851 888( 916 - 1198 ) i cant even name all of the most incredible bikes made by the big 4 jap bike manufacturers..dating back to the early 70 s,,,thats a fact that cant be disputed....even if you throw aprilia and moto guzzi in the mix...and as far as bimota is concerned...almost all of their bikes had suzuki motors in them.,..and they are every bit as sexy as a ducati....

25. f1nxlife

f1nxlife Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 11, 2010
    harbor city ., calif
    Full Name:
    brett falcigno
    the hyabusa actually handles incredibly good .,for its weight and size....[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJhGeoHO4Gk[/ame]