Ducati question | FerrariChat

Ducati question

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by tuttebenne, May 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Any Ducati enthusiast/mechanics out there? I have a question regarding a '95 SS CR I bought a few weeks ago. It seems to have a vibration between 3800 and 4100 RPM. It happens regardless of what gear I'm in. I usually ride a vintage Triumph and know what a vibrating twin feels like. The Triumph is much worse than the Duc. It runs smooth up to 3800 and beyond 4000 - 4100. Any advice or comments?

Andy

2. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Can you be more specific regarding the vibration? Motor, front end?

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The 900 package has a chain snatch resonance in the cruising powerband near 3500-4000. Use a higher gear (5th for 65 MPH for example) or add two teeth to the rear sprocket on the next chain replacement, which moves the resonance down the RPM band 3200-3600.

4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Mitch,

Thanks for the information. What you described sounds very relevant to my problem. Next time out I will try your suggestion. Now that I think about it, the previous owner told me the bike had had a sprocket change. I hadn't been interested enough to count the teeth but will look more closely now.

Drew,

The vibration isn't coming from the front end, it feels a little bit like a tire vibration but I can't imagine a rear tire moving enough to cause the vibration I am experiencing.

Thanks to both of you for responding. I'll post again after a bit more investigation and following up on Mitch's suggestion.

Andy