Ducati Owners or enthusiasts? Come on in. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ducati Owners or enthusiasts? Come on in.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by DevonL, Mar 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Beautiful collection of bikes, this certainly wont be my last Ducati, I'm very much so looking forward to bringing it home; Thursdays the day when it'll be sunny again so that's the day!

Just curious ... For my own torture aha, which would you have let go for $3500?
    For this model it doesn't, tried when looking at the bike. Had it set in neutral kick stand was down, tried to start and no go. Maybe it was because I had the clutch engaged?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe the sensor switch at the hand lever was bad/misadjusted?

I haven't even finished my Owner's Manual! LOL!

I just know IF you have the green light, you can start it and push it around and it'll idle, stand down. But if you select gear and release the clutch it dies, to keep you from driving off of the stand obviously....

My gf laughed as she watched it work, that's what we are for!

3. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #28 kiesan, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This '92 851 will bring about $35-hunny in this condition. A good solid running superbike with some stories. Your 750 Sport is a better choice for a first Ducati methinks.

The kickstand switch on Ducati models of that era (early 2000's) are designed to not let the bike run if the stand is down. Does not matter if the bike is in neutral. You can wire it so it works like every other bike, that is, so it will run in neutral with the stand down. Or, you can just splice the wires together so it thinks the stand is up all the time and will run no matter what. Be advised that even the most seasoned biker will at some point try and ride away with the stand deployed. If you are on a bike that allows this the results can ruin your day. Imagine a pole vault gone awry.

My advice is to leave it the way it is. If the bike is running proper, stationary warm-up is not required. Just warm the thing up while you are riding it with gentle throttle input and no excessive revving. Within 5-7 minutes its full speed ahead and all 62 horsies will be at your disposal :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #29 BigTex, Mar 23, 2010
  5. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    #30 DevonL, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    That 851 is absolutely beautiful! I've always been hooked on Ducati's and really didn't think I'd find a good starter Ducati; this certainly will not be the last one I purchase. Hopefully this will be the start of a nice little collection of them.

If I modify it to allow it to start up with the kick stand down, I'll do it so it indeed kills the engine when it leaves neutral. I saw someone wired it up that way and also saw that Evoluzione has a pre-made kit too.

6. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Well after day 1 of riding the bike I have to say ... I'm hooked. Absolutely a blast! Need a good deal more seat time before I'm confident to start attacking any back roads, but suffice it to say ... I have found my new hobby and getaway! So happy with this purchase!

7. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    #32 Air_Cooled_Nut, Mar 28, 2010
    Just this month I purchased a 2006 Ducati Sport Classic. Quite a different machine in every single way compared to my '81 Goldwing!! LOL

I purchased my workshop manual from above and it's NICE. Color, torque specs, wiring diagram, everything. I paid via my PayPal and got the manual all under 5 minutes :) I also downloaded the Spare Parts catalog in the other links posted. Nice to have.

I'm on www.Ducati.ms as well, in the Sport Classic forum, obviously. Good group of guys. Post pictures or a link to pictures. Congrats and Enjoy!

8. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Here are 3 quick shots with my Cell Phone from yesterday when I went out to work on the bike a little. Thinking of running the bike naked, I had the right side fairing off and it looks like I have an evap canister to remove and that's about it, not sure about the left side yet though, didn't have time to pull that fairing off. There'll be some proper shots coming on Thursday if I didn't indeed break my ankle tonight (not on the bike).

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6921/img00039m.jpg
    http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2123/img00040t.jpg
    http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7269/img00041k.jpg

9. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    Excellent, now do a tail chop and put some slip-ons on her!

BTW, I like 'em naked :D

10. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Do you know of what's on the left side of the bike needing to be removed/relocated, I haven't had time to pull that fairing off yet.

A friend of mine is getting a TIG welder soon so we're looking at making an undertail exhaust; it seems like the guys on Ducati.ms really want one, so we may make a few of them to sell as well.

11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

resist the temptation to modify your bike unless you can steal some slip ons off of e-bay or the like. ride this bike for the summer and then sell it and step up to a 900 ss or a 4 valve.

enjoy!!

12. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I second not modifying the bike and moving up to a more powerful model when finances permit. You can pick up a 996 for $5500, or even a 999 for low $6000's. That is a lot of bike for the money and even stock would run rings around any modified 750 Sport.

The other nice thing about buying used is that it seems every new owner puts Termignoni or Akrapovic exhaust systems on their new superbike (these range from $1000 for a set of slip ons to $2500+ for a full system). But buying used you basically get the exhaust (and other add-ons) for free.

13. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. I really do want to see how the bike will look naked though, removing the evap canister isn't much of a modification. Chances are, I will have this bike for more than just this season, though we will see!

14. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #39 John B, Mar 31, 2010
    Wow! That's a pretty reasonable facsimile. Here's my 750 Sport from 32 years earlier!

I love Ducatis, I currently have 5 in my garage. '74 750 Sport, '74 750 GT, '02 998R, '07 Monster S4RS, '08 D16RR. They are all absolutely wonderful bikes...

15. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    #40 BoxerCrazy, Apr 1, 2010
  16. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Very nice! I went out riding for about 5 hours today, absolutely loving it. Hit some back roads and am getting more accustomed to rolling on the throttle while leaning through a hard turn. Wasn't going too quick of course but as the day progressed was getting more and more comfortable with it.

17. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Curious how you know when the valves need to be adjusted? Does the bike run crappy, or make a ticking noise or something? Wondering if I should spend the $200 or so for the shims to see if the valves are within spec.

The bike did do something odd today though, it hesitated in second gear, made kind of a popping noise and then ran fine. I wont be riding it until sometime next week again, going to do an oil change on it and also check the belts then to make sure they look alright.

18. ferraripete

not valve related...induction sync issue would be my guess. regarding valve adjustment...how may miles are on your scoot?

19. ferraripete

#44 ferraripete, Apr 2, 2010
  20. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    According to the previous owner the valves were done around 5K or so, it currently has 9500 on the bike. I know it needs a new air filter as I pulled it out the other day and it looks like mice were eating it.

21. deanhalter

deanhalter Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    You will not really notice any issues with the performance of the engine if the valves are in need of adjsutment.

For the earlier models the recommended interval is 3K. I have see earlier Supersports that needed some adjsutments at the 3K and 6K points, after which they were stable until 12K or 16K.

Ducati has gotten better over time with materials and it shows in the valve adjsutment intervals. You have to be a bit more careful with the desmo heads as the opening and closing cams can fight each other if the adjsutment is way off...

22. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The new Multistrada 1200 has a valve adjustment interval of 15,000 miles. I would think all the water-cooled bikes will soon incorporate the changes for these extended intervals. Even if the superbikes use more aggressive valve closing that means the current interval is extended to say, 10,000 it is still a fairly big improvement. Looking at the mileage of Ducatis for sale, most of them don't hit 10,000 miles for five years or more.

http://ducati.com/news/multistrada_1200_arrives_with_more__strada__between_major_services/2010/02/04/index.do

23. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Your bike is supposed to have valve inspections every 6k miles. Might as well learn how to do it and check those pups. Synch the throttle bodies as well. New spark plugs, a/f, etc. I'll bet it will run like a top.

Do you know how old the timing belts are or if they have even been replaced once? If you read the o/m you will see Ducati is even more cautionary than the mighty stallion in this regard :)

24. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Had no idea the throttle bodies could be out of synch until you mentioned it in this post hah. Any other tips or oddities I should know about?

I'm pretty sure the timing belts are original. I'm going to take off the covers next week and inspect the belts to see how they look. I've been told if the belts show no wear they're alright and to just continually periodically check them. The bike only has about 9600 on it at this point, would the spark plugs actually need to be replaced at this point? I guess I'll pull them and take a look.

I changed the oil the other day and put in Motul 20W50 non-synthetic with an OEM Ducati oil filter. I also have a K&N filter coming in the mail which will hopefully be here soon.

25. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #50 kiesan, Apr 8, 2010
    Well, the belts are so easy to change... why take a chance? That goes for the plugs too. Those parts are not a lot of dough.

Did you clean the metal mesh oil "screen" thats down by the oil filter? A lot of peeps don't even know about it:

http://www.ducatisuite.com/oilchange.html

Once you synch the throttle bodies and this other fluffy stuff there really isn't much else to do. You could bleed the brake/clutch hydraulics if you are unsure when it was done last.

Here is yellow SS version of your bike I bought from the original owner. He had literally forgotten he had it, heh :)