Ducati Owners or enthusiasts? Come on in. | FerrariChat

Ducati Owners or enthusiasts? Come on in.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by DevonL, Mar 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    #1 DevonL, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    I'm headed off in about an hour to have a look at a Ducati 750, I'm unsure of the mileage at the moment, the owner wants $4000 for it though, I'm hoping to pick it up for a little over $3000 even if it needs some service work done.. I really don't mind doing a belt change or the like. I have always loved Ducati's and have wanted one for years; ultimately it's either I get this or keep looking for a well priced Ducati, Triumph or R6.

Ultimately my question to all of you is what are the common issues you've had and or seen with a/your Ducati? What's the general service costs you have per year on the bike? Have you enjoyed it more than a Japanese streetbike? If you had the chance would you buy another Ducati or head to another brand? Also if you're shorter (I'm 5'6-5'7) have you noticed it's any more difficult to handle the bike/come to a stop than others?

Thanks in advance guys, I'm really excited right now but do not want my judgment clouded by my overall excitement.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

just a quick note: the 750 duke will be eaten alive by the triumph or r6. the duke is nice to look at and nice to ride but not up to the pace of the others you mention.

maybe look for a 900 ss?

3. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Pete is right, the 750 Duc will get smoked in a straight line. In the twisties you will be able to keep up but you will be closer to the limits. My friends all ride liter bikes and I keep up on my 750 Monster and when I had the 748 it was no problem. On the Monster I am working much harder to keep up. If you don't need to go 100 plus all of the time I think the Duc is a much more rewarding ride. Not as difficult to ride fast for a lay person, sounds the business and looks stunning. I am on my third Duc and don't really have a desire for another bike. Although the new Ducs don't do much for me so maybe i'm just getting old.

4. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    I would go with something a little quicker but honestly this is my first bike and chances are I probably should get used to something a little easier to ride - such as the 750. The bike is beautiful though, I'm picking it up on Monday or Tuesday depending upon the weather. I went out today and bought a helmet and gloves and will be picking up a jacket later in the week. For now I'll just ride it with my leather jacket.

Thanks for the info though guys, any quirks I should expect with the 750? The one thing I HATE about it that will be my first modification, is getting rid of the kick stand shut off.

5. deanhalter

deanhalter Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    #5 deanhalter, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Devon - you getting an SS? What year? Ducati may not be the easiest bike to learn on but a 750 is a good choice.

As for displacement, I have had my fair share of small bore bikes, just as much fun as a liter bike:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    #6 DevonL, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    The bike is a 2002 with approximately 9000 miles on it. The only issue it has is a cracked fairing when the bike fell over in the guys driveway. I can tell it wasn't laid down while in motion or anything as it is merely a crack with no horizontal running scratches. Matte black bike, looks very sinister. I went out and picked up a matching helmet, gloves and will be picking up a nice padded jacket later in the week.

Suffice it to say, I'm very excited.

Dean, is that your current bike? Looks gorgeous! Where abouts in Ct are you located? If you ever feel like a cruise through the state, feel free to PM me, as of this moment I have no friends that [currently] ride.

7. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Good for you! Post pics when you can.

8. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    I'll post pictures the day I pick it up!

9. ferraripete

good plan! good showing of restraint too. yes, fix the kickstand...i bet that is why the bike fell over in the first place!

take it from me...spend some money on some very good tires and go to a motorcycle shop that has a great suspension person. tires and a properly set up suspension will really allow you to build confidence.

congrats and enjoy.

pcb

10. deanhalter

deanhalter Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    #10 deanhalter, Mar 21, 2010
  11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    996 Owner...

Other than the regular oil changes, which I can do by myself, the only maintenance required so far is the 6K increment.

I need to get it in for another 6K and will use a highly-regarded Ducati race shop (Duc Pond) for that, when the time comes. I have NO idea what it's going to cost, though.

CW

12. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Thank you! The kickstand itself doesn't have an issue, but apparently (and I read this earlier when researching) some of the Ducati's at a certain period of time had this feature where the bike wouldn't start or run if the kickstand was down on them. That's the feature I'm talking about removing ;). It's probably just a resistor I'll have to wire in.

I'll definitely keep that in mind though! The tire on it looks alright, but I'm guessing by the middle of the summer I'm going to have to change it!

Beautiful bike, I look forward to seeing it at the next event in Glastonbury. I may be out of state next Sunday but if there's another gathering and I'm around then I'll most likely be there with the bike - weather permitting.

The first thing I'll be doing with it is changing the oil and filter and then I'll take a look at the belts and see how those are. Any advice on a good site to pick up Maintenance parts for these? I'm going to change the timing belt with a friend of mine sometime soon - looks like it's pretty straight forward.

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I use synthetics, so pick up whatever you like. Doesn't matter, I don't think, as long as it's the correct weight and viscosity. Filters and gaskets I pick up from the dealer a week in advance of when I need them. I'm sure I could save a few $ by buying in bulk from some online supply, though.

CW

14. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    I'm going to see what the previous owner used and probably just stick to that, I hear for cars it's not the best to switch from conventional to synthetic or vise-versa; though I'm unsure how true that is. There is a Ducati dealer about 30 minutes away from me, so that's convenient at least.

15. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #15 tundraphile, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    The desmodue (your air-cooled 750) is much easier to work on and if you are a decent home mechanic you can do virtually everything yourself after the investment of about $400 in special tools.

You can find electronic copies of the service manual online, Haynes also makes a good manual for the belt-drive two-valvers. Another good resource for practical DIY literature is desmotimes.com.

BTW it is advisable to use synthetic made for motorcycles not automobile oil. I have used Mobil 1 20W50 for years without any problems.

16. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Awesome to know that it's an easy bike to work on, I have heard they can be rather expensive to maintain if you have the dealer/shops take care of it but I'll be doing as much of the service on it as I possibly can!

Thanks also for the links. I'm unsure if I'm getting any oil with the deal though I do know he's giving me a new oil filter. The bike will not be registered for another few weeks since the weather is still fluctuating too much, though I'm unsure how I'll be able to resist going out for a ride if any other nice days come along!

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Mine has that "kick stand down" switch........2006.

18. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Gotta love it. Looks to be pretty easy to modify it so you can have it start with the kick stand down if it's in Nuetral.

19. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If you have a wet clutch, and I suppose you do, then synthetics will cause it to slip a bit. Just go with the proper weight dinosaur juice. The Haynes manual is terrific definitely get one.

20. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Is it a wet clutch? I thought I read earlier on a site that it has a dry clutch? Anyone that can confirm or not?

21. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Source for electronic manuals, Ducati does not make the service manual available for free
    http://www.duc.nu/manuals/
    The air-cooled motors are basically the same from '99-05. There are few differences (5 or six speds, some bikes have wet clutch) but if you can find an SS workshop manual from this time most of it will apply to your bike.

Ducati does have owners and parts manuals online.
    http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/manuals/2002.jhtml?family=manuals
    http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/parts/2002.jhtml?family=parts

Ducati Omaha is another good parts resource online
    http://issuu.com/ducatiomaha/docs/750sport_usa-02

You don't need all of the special tools to service the bike, but there are a few that are essential depending on what you are planning to do. There are a couple of good boards as well. A lot of knowledgable people.
    http://www.ducati.ms/forums/index.php
    http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/

22. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Much appreciated for all of the links. I actually registered on Ducati.ms earlier today and have been reading on there off and on today. The belt service looks like it's extremely easy to do and I'll be taking a look at the belt soon to determine whether or not I should do it right away or wait until sometime later in the season.

Thanks again for all of the info here.

23. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #23 kiesan, Mar 22, 2010
    In the air-cooled supersport range from the 90's onward, only the 900/1000cc bikes came with a dry clutch. The '99 and newer US-model 750/800 came with a wet clutch.

This (first pic below) is what you bought, yes? The official designation for this model is "750 Sport". Single disc front brake, non-adjustable suspenders, half-fairing, etc. Great first Ducati and easy to fiddle with it which is a good thing :)

Here are a few random Ducati models. One of them I could have sold you for $3500, heh.

24. ferraripete

nice looking scoots kie! your lady is the bee's knees too!

pcb

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #25 BigTex, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    Oh, it WILL start and idle in neutral with it down, it 'kills' the engine when you shift to first gear and engage the clutch...