Ducati 748 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ducati 748

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by joker57676, Apr 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I don't know how tall Joker is but I am 5'6" and fit my 748R just fine. The seat on a base 748 tends to sit higher than comprable 4's do, but because, as a twin, it is a narrower bike, you will be able to reach the ground about the same. My 748R had a very high seat position, due, in part, to my race setup too, and I was tip-toe on it, but that was good enough.

2. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    We're about the same height then, I'm right about 5'7. I was almost flat footed on my 750 and just wanted to ensure I wouldn't get there only to discover ... my feet can't touch the ground! :eek:

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I'm a little under 5'10" but I have short legs and a longer torso. The bike fits me really well and I don't mind the agressive riding position some have problems with.

Mark

4. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I think you'll be fine. I have more than enough leg length to sit on the seat with my feet flat on the ground with bend in my knees.

Mark

5. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Cool! I'm extremely excited to have a look and a test ride on this bike, I'll be disappointed if it's not as clean at the pictures depicted .. but this thread has pretty much sold me on going with a 748 for my next bike (barring of course, I like it's overall feel); so one way or another, I will have one!

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

there are some very good examples out there with low miles. be picky and find a great one!

7. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    #57 DevonL, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    I definitely will be picky! Unless he has
    service records proving it's current on all maintenance, I wont be getting it. The guy's a realtor and my experience with realtors is they will say and do
    anything to make a sale! (No offense to any realtors on here!)

That said, I would honestly prefer something with slightly less miles, because I will be daily riding this bad boy!

8. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I actually used to have the same bike as you started with, but in 900 form (same chassis though). The 748 will be more than a generation better, much better. Night and day really in many areas. Although it is not as easy to turn in as a 4 (really it is, you just have to do it differently), it will turn in a lot easier than your 750 did and the throttle will be more predictable comming out of the turn and not as jerkey.

9. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Definitely glad to hear. I was originally thinking of going with an 848 or 1098 but realistically I cannot afford one right now and I felt both would be far too much powerful for me to handle coming from the lowly 750.

Unfortunately it would seem this guy is flaking on me (complete lack of communication now) so I'm still on the hunt for one. We'll see what can be found as luckily the riding season is JUST beginning.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #60 Wade, May 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'll second the CycleCats (have them on my S4RS). Their quality is extraordinary.

http://www.cyclecat.com/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The 748 (yellow mono), is the only Ducati, I have owned.

I purchased the bike new - a 2000 model.

I had zero problems with the bike.

The bike has nice power.

I would recommend the bike.

Manda racing likes this.
  12. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I own an R1. But I raced R6's for years. When I had my 748R, I rode a few 996's that belonged go friends at the track. With all the skills I learned from racing, I could never take a big bore bike to its limits on the track, let alone the street. Those are bikes that you have to tame like wild lions and have a lot of throttle discipline. 600's and smaller twins, however, are easier to take to their limits and ring them. They require more rider input to ride in many respects, but are more forgiving in others. They are more rewarding and fun to ride in my view.

I prefer an R6 over my R1. Why do I have an R1 then. Cuz I became lazy in my old age and that bike don't care what gear it is in or what rpm I am at to pull. But compared to an R6, it don't corner so well (note it is not a current model R1, which is much better). A 748 will reward you like a 600 in many ways.

13. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I've owned a 748 for years. It's never never been dropped. I then bought a 2003 R1, followed by a 2004 R1. I started riding my 1098s back in 2007. I ride it most of the time. It gets street and track duty. I still own the 2004 R1, as well as my 748. The little yellow bike is now mostly retired, I ride it once or twice a year, just to keep it running. I still maintain it, and keep it registered.

14. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    #64 348 Turbo, May 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Still beautiful and modern looking. Some designs can't be improved upon.

16. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Quoted for truth. I honestly cannot believe how many people have stopped me to comment and talk about the 748. It really is just a timeless design.

Mark

17. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I ended up with a 900-motored 750ss track bike when the 748 I was working a deal on turned out to be stolen. I have an unused full set of 748 race bodywork and race fairing stay if any of you 748 guys are tracking your bikes. (bought in prep for the bike that didn't work out).

18. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    kiesan and ralfabco like this.
  19. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    For starters, that tail piece is off of a MV Agusta. Stay away from bikes with too many mods....unless they are really well done or used high end period components. My vote would be the 2K 996.

nicholasn and Manda racing like this.
  20. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Holy thread revival.

That modded 748 looks like it could be pretty nice. The MV tail certainly isn’t my thing. It has some classy company which is always a good sign. If the mods are to your taste then go for it. A 916-series machine is one of the simplest bikes to “un-mod” there ever was.

A low mile 996 would be tough competition.

Last year this 748S I sold did pretty well:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-ducati-748s-monoposto/

Manda racing likes this.
  21. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    thanks-- there's a first year yellow (I should know the color in Italian) 748R on BAT with 5 days remaining. 10k

re: the aftermarket UK made carbon fiber tailpiece-- seller says it's a desirable modification....

22. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    NYC Fred and Manda racing like this.
  23. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    The most beautiful motorcycle ever built. Still drool.

Manda racing likes this.
  24. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I regret selling my yellow 748 Mono.

Manda racing likes this.