Ducati 1098R - what do I do with it? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ducati 1098R - what do I do with it?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sherpa23, May 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I love it. My back, not so much.

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Dale, here's an interesting article on the problem of marketing Ducati in the US. Interesting comparo to exotic sports car sales.

http://globalmoto.media/ducati.htm

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I am no expert in motorcycle or exotic car marketing but I suspect the write up doesn't hammer home the differences in buyers of the two - demographics - younger, less affluent, attitudes - risk awareness and appetite - as well as the behavioral differences (fun toy occasional use versus everyday transportation; long distance touring, or cruising, versus shorter distances) which he does cover.

I suspect for many of us - well for me anyway(!) - riding a Ducati super bike is a fantastic experience, but we are damn pleased to get off it and flex everything that aches!

I had low powered bikes as a youth in England. My older brother had a 750 bevel, so that dates me. About 10 years ago I finally did my (US) bike test and, totally seduced by the looks (sound familiar anyone?), bought the 998 Matrix I mentioned above. Flew to Louisville, geared up, rode it back to Chicago. 377 miles. After an hour, my backside was numb, wrists ached from the seat to bar extension, neck ached from the upward contortion, knees abused from running long distances were, you guessed it, sore from the tight angle required by the pegs. I kept it a year or so before trading it on another bike. Loved it but, not for me in my mid to late 40s.

I am guessing the average Harley guy is 40+ too and can afford a $20-25k toy. He just doesn't want the physical agony that goes with it!