Ducati 1098 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ducati 1098

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Choptop, Nov 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

finally a nice looking ducati? really? i always kinda thought ducati has been the maker of the sexiest machines on 2 wheels for some time now? the diana was the first gem...the original 750 ss was not too shabby either. the 916 family was world beating...and still is!!

...and last, the 888 sp5 was and remains the qunitessential superbike!

having said that, it seems there were some decent looking ducks prior to the 1098.

2. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    93'

3. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    What do you need me to agree more?! :)
    Best Bike EVER!

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Much better looking than the fugly 749/999 series.

For those that contain themselves, wait a year or two for them to get the bugZ out, and then simply jump in and buy.

A little Japanese in the front. Bonita nonetheless.

5. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

single-sided swingarm ?

The beautiful 1990 Honda RC 30.

6. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    ALL YOU GUYS ARE STILL WRONG!!!!

ralfabco is close.... 1988 HONDA RC30. I will post a pic of it later.
    (I have an 1988 RC30 and a 916 in my garage.)

7. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

I do not think the RC 30 was available in the USA during 1988 ! - LOL

8. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    The argument is when Honda introduced the single swingarm. You quoted 1990 RC30, the RC30 debuted in Superbike racing in 1988. I will check my bike for the year/sn ?

It is a very rare bike, I don't know when it was available in the US, 1990 perhaps..

9. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Very nice indeed, should look amazing in the flesh. Not as unique as the 999 but then again, it wasnt a huge success. Whats important is that alot of those Jap fanatics are actually considering this bike because of its price/performance/exclusivity ratio.

I kinda see it like a F430, a smooth evolution of an already great previous duke, but yet raises the performance bar.

10. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    #35 starboy444, Nov 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    #36 Fred2, Nov 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_bikes.html

Rear monolever.

In 1980, BMW introduced the world to the monolever suspension system on the back end of their R80GS big dirt bike. Little did anyone know at the time that it was a sign of the radical design changes to come. Most BMW bikes, modern ones anyway, have shaft drive, so its a given on a beemer that one side of the rear suspension is going to be pretty beefy because it has to house the driveshaft and ultimately the rear drive. BMW capitalised on this and with the monolever, they created a single-sided suspension system, much like the Yamaha monoshock, but the shock / strut unit was mounted to one side of the bike, rather then in the centre. The driveshaft ran down the inside of the single-sided swingarm and into the rear drive. This design helped eliminate the need for beefier engineering at the front of the swingarm which would have been needed to resist the torsional load of having the wheel mounted to a single-sided swingarm.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    I see the R1, but im guessing they designers were thinking more along the lines of a desmosedicci looker rather then the jap bikes. Looks a helluva lot better then that hideous 999, jesus that thing was ugly.

13. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    We were using single sided swing arms in the early 80s on endurance racers. Made it very easy to change wheels and tires on a pit stop. I don't recall who made the aftermarket swing arms, but there were at least two manufacturers. They were intially in the World endurance series, but found their way into the WERA endurance series. I think, but don't know, that the frames were made in Japan.

Art

14. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Whoo Hoo. Now I can afford a 999!! =)

15. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This should have been the natural progression from the 998. I do think the headlights look a bit like a CBR 600 but overall it is a good looking bike. I still get goose bumps when I see any of the superbikes from the 851 to the 998. I appreciate the 999 for what it is but unless they are really cheap now, I won't own one. This design however is different, I'm sure once I see one in the flesh I will be smitten. Maybe I'm old but I like the older stuff more and more each day. The 93-98 Supersport is another great design especially the full faired SP.

16. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I guess its easy for me to like this bike because I can very easily imagine it without head lights and with my italian tri-color paint scheme and my comp numbers on a set of Shark Skinz. :D

17. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I was looking and thinking about Ducatis recent superbike evolution compared to that of Ferraris V8 models...

996=F355.......both iconic designs, still hott, revolutionary for their time, kinda flawed in certain aspects, huge charm

999=360....better in most aspects than what they replaced, design wise totally different approach, not an instant classic

1098=F430......both extreme gains in performance, going back to what people liked in previous models, more hardcore

18. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric

You could buy the Tri-Colore when it is released and have it come in the box like you like it (though it would still have head lights).

19. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    That is a good comparison.... but let me add my own:

916=250GTO.....both "ultimate", designed and built from scratch using no reference to any existing model, world champion performers. A style that will never die.

999=Mondial (Coupe) ....A touching up of a classic, but just butt UGLY.

1098=F40.... A total reinvention of a superbike/supercar. Going back to its roots but witha modern twist.

20. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The Tri-Color. Sorry, best pic that I have seen yet.

[​IMG]

21. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    I was kinda excited, but its no 851 Tri-color! The colors are to bright and gel coated.......

22. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Not going to make it in yellow. What a shame. However, I'll put my 996 up against any one of them in a straight line. Same thing about the handling. I suspect they're using the same suspension, and the motor has been worked on a bit. Probably a great bike. if you don't want to spend a little time on them. I've never been able to leave them alone, once I've gotten one.

Art

23. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    hehehehehe...

I've got more $ and time in my 2001 Gixxer in suspension alone than I do in engine, extras, and body... in fact, the body looks beat to shoot. Primer, dented, cracked... but the damn thing rides like nothing else (at least for me).

Will have to try out the new Duck, who knows, might go back to a large twin.

24. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    You like Gixxers? How about Chris Ulrich's Supersport bike? Or Mays Formula Extreme bike. One or the other coming to the AFM for next year, I'm probably going to have Hagan on one of them, but who knows?

BTW: I put the Olins kit into the 996, and did little stuff like taking all the seals off the bearings, so there'd be less friction. Must have at least 200 hours into the bike, but did it pay off. Ask Mike Grant about it, he just got his motor done by Marc Salvisberg at Factory, and really noticed the difference. (Marc was my mechanic when I raced the bevel drive, his last version of that lead the AMA Twins race at Riverside, before it blew up, one lap from the finish. Needless to say, I was looking for him, after I'd walked back to the pits)

Art