Ducati 1098 | FerrariChat

Ducati 1098

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Choptop, Nov 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    #1 Choptop, Nov 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Put in a chip, exhaust and I'll bet it would. It doesn't look all that different to me from the 916 ,996 etc.

3. Ulmis

Ulmis Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2005
    It`s not breathtaking, but nonetheless it`s good looking bike.
    Also the performance will be amazing, above all in it`s class.

The 999R outperformed an R1(SP model) around a track.
    The test was made by german mag Motorrad. I think the 999R was 1.2 secs faster. :)

4. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    With a claimed dry weight of 381lbs and 160HP (From a twin) I can look past the yamaha styled lights.

Simply put: Me Wants! (and I'm a die hard Aprilia guy)

5. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Yeah, the front is very R1ish but the profile is still there. Probably a pretty bike in the flesh.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The 916 was apparently the best seller of the lot, with many potential buyers put off by the styling of the following models. I think they went back to the 916 style.
    We are not going to see many 1098R on the streets. Mostly 1098 and 1098S (with uprated suspension).
    Anything that can beat the ricers gets my vote!

7. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Doesn't look too bad to me. I like the beefy swingarm, but the muffler tips/outlets shape doesn't flow(looks wise) well.

8. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I like how they've gone back to the single sided swing arm. The swing arm on the 999/749 was very bland.

9. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I agree, the rectangle tips seem odd to me...sure there will be many a trick setup for pipes to come though.
    160hp out of a twin is nuts, and it lost weight...currently not legal for WSBK though, so that has me scratching my head.

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    In all honesty, I have to say that these are probably the two worst angles but really, I think that this is a spectacular bike. Look at the pics at this link and really ask yourself if this doesn't do it for you.

I'm in.

http://speedzilla.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29448

11. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Nope, does nothing for me.

The front now looks like every other Japanese bike. Any sort of style, special design cues are now gone. In their place are headlights from a Buell XB and slab sided mid and lower fairings

Sure, it has a single sided swing arm.. thats cool.

The under seat exhaust are now standard on every other bike

the only thing that retains any uniquely Ducati looking style is the seat and the top of the tail seciton.

its a shame really.

12. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Heck look at a side shot of a new Gixxer and tell me which has more style to it.

13. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Well, I for one like it. It does seem to borrow from some of the jap bikes but why not? I mean after all, Ducati started the whole twin head lamp design and underseat exhaust fads. I wouldn't say its a departure to the dark side but more of a back to their roots approach. If they had incorporated a little bit more of the Desmo Sedici look to the faring that may have helped. While I do like this bike the head lamps look like they are right out of the new CBR600RR or 1000RR>.

14. motion

motion Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    At the track
    Full Name:
    Motion
    #14 motion, Nov 9, 2006
    Blech!!!! That thing doesn't have much going for it in terms of style. Have a look at my 998 to see what a Duc Superbike really should look like :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #15 UroTrash, Nov 9, 2006
  16. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    The Back end looks EXACTLY like the MV AGUSTA!!

Come on, we want some originality! Its basically an updated and sharper looking 916, with a bit of Jap mixed in.

17. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    sorry everybody, but, I disagree, big time. I think the bike is beautiful! FINALLY, a nice looking Duck. I don't think it looks like the R1 either, (by the way, what's wrong with the R1? I've always found it to be absolutely intoxicating, don't really care where it's made.) The single sided swing arm is lovely, I'm glad it's back. I like the Italiano style frame too! The bike rocks. Period. I might get one. It'll never replace my R1 though............

18. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    ah, no.

19. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Try this:

Look at a pic of the bike and try to imagine the sound of a Ducati pouring out from behind it. That has to excite you a little bit. C'mon. Imagine being at full lean, with a very sharp looking bike like that and hearing that wonderous drone of an italian twin.

20. scuderiafever

scuderiafever Karting

Apr 10, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael J
    putting a deposit on mine this weekend. they'll be arriving in february. sorry agusta, maybe next time

21. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    It does have the potty seat look from the MV fer shure.

I guess they did this without Tamburini?

If they did, at least they are getting back on track.

22. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    You are wrong my friend, as an owner of both an MV Senna and 916 and 998, I see them everyday in my garage! The seat is an EXACT copy! I give it 8.5 / 10 for looks.

The red frame, the signal lights in the mirrors, and the pointed tail are all taken from the MV Agusta, also designed and built by Castiglioni and Tamburini back in '99.

23. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    And who started the underseat exhaust? And just look at that trellis frame...All the Japanese have that!...no. And if you think the pointy front and lights came off an R1...take a gander at the original 916. Everything the Japanese now make, came from Ducati....I'm just waiting for the single-sided swingarm CBR. The funny thing is, as you seem to think that Ducati somehow copied the Japanese...you have an Aprilia in your Avatar, who are the ones who copied the Japanese... Take a look at the front of the RC-51 ;)

24. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    All I can say is the exhaust and clutch cover suck!

25. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    I believe it's Honda who started the underseat exhausts and single-sided swingarm on their bike in their 1992 NR750. In 1994, Ducati released the 916 with single-sided swingarm and underseat exhausts.