Dubai Ferrari dealer only sells US spec cars? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dubai Ferrari dealer only sells US spec cars?

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Kain, Jul 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Thanks Omar....next time I'm in Dubai, rather than play golf the whole time, I'll check out some of the used car dealers.

Mike in Kuwait

2. deepsea

deepsea Rookie

Apr 8, 2007
    Baltimore
    i used to be in the grey market business a few years ago. We imported TR's from that region. The units had US spec bumpers . door beams and cat ready exhaust systems.

They were not US spec as they did not have marker lights, catalytic conveters, and other items.

The most important thing that they did not have was the DOT label in the door jam and the EPA label under the hood. You can hae all the parts you want, but NO LABELS = NO IMPORT.

3. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Hope all is well buddy, sorry we couldn't hang out yet, its been a crazy year at work for me, just wanted to say that Zayani became the agent for Ferrari in 1998. Prior to that Ferrari had a low key presence through Talal Al Essa. I know them very well and the whole story. So hence your 348 was sold by Al Essa. Did you get the service book and manuals leather case with your car, should be stamped in there?

About finding out Ferraris for sale in the UAE checkout http://www.autotraderuae.com

Now back to the main point, after extensive research and discussions with Ferrari, Emad Yousef (Ferrari Kuwait), and mechanics it was made very clear that cars that come to Kuwait are European Spec in every sense of the word EXCEPT for the Arabic Script on the plates around the car. Just because of the language switch on the cars they're known as "GCC" or "Gulf Spec". However technically and performance wise they're exactly the same as the Euro spec cars. I really wanted to believe they came with upgraded cooling systems and better this and that but thats just not the case. Ferrari doesn't care thats why alot of guys drive their cars in the winters when the temperatures are milder except for that brave soul Omar Abdullah who drives his 360 every day :), you gotta respect that.

VIN Letters varied in GCC Ferraris and the dichotomy is between those Ferraris made prior to the 360 Modena and those made after it, therefore Mike yours has a T in it. I'll check out pics of my car when I go back home, I took pics of the VIN before I sold her, so it'll validate the theory that pre 2000 Ferraris in the GCC had T and 360 Modena onwards it switched to B.

S

4. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Still UAE cars have side position lights, like US specs.

5. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Hey Arezzo (Salman),

Great to hear from you.... PM Sent!

Mike (also) in Kuwait

6. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Thanks Salman . . . And as you know, bravery comes at a price ;)

Happy holidays!

7. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Hi,

My 94 348 Spider was sold by Al-Baraha who were the Ferrari Importers for Kuwait at the time!!

The information that I have from Ferrari is that they sold Italian spec euro cars to Kuwait, as mine is. It does not have any Arabic Script on any of the plates on the car, just standard Ferrari plates with a euro vin number.

So it looks like you can have a euro vin (B) or (T) which I understand is a Middle East spec that some cars have or the GCC cars.

Still confusing.

Regards,
    Phil.

8. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Al Baraha was the company that was owned by Talal Al Essa and Al Baraha continued operations till 2005 before they shut down and sold off everything. The Arabic script on my ex-355 1999 Spider and the VIN indicates its a B hence Euro-spec car:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/arezzo66/2005_0917355sp0032.jpg
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/arezzo66/2005_0917355sp10007.jpg

S

9. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Any pics?

10. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Hi Salman,

Sorry, I have no pics of the plates, I will take some next weekend and post them for you.

Regards,
    Phil.

11. Kain

Kain Rookie

Jan 15, 2007
    Here's an update to this thread.

I contacted the Ferrari dealer in Dubai and asked if they only sell US spec cars and if it would be possible to get a Euro/GCC spec car. This was their response:
    Yay! :)